• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex Printer- how many 220v?

AUTO-FX

The HP site prep specs for the L25500 indicate that you need 2) 220v outlets. I believe it is one for the heater system and one for the printer mechanicals. Does this require individual breakers for each outlet or no? The specs dont say.
Thanks!:thumb:

Tim Aucoin

When I had mine installed in December, I had the two put on separate breakers upon the advice of the electrician. Fortunately, I already had one in place that used to power my press.

Typestries

We put ours in a spot where we had a 30 amp 220 line already in place. It's actually 280v on the meter so we didnt need a transformer. We just split that into 2 lines at the box and it's working just fine. So in total we're drawing less than 30 amps across both 220v outlets the machine uses

I also skipped the special NEMA receptacle thing all together and just snipped the plugs off of the machine power cables and hard wired it to the box. One less thing to break.

AUTO-FX

You should be ok if you get rid of the central AC, stove if electric and dryer. What's the amperage?
Nice!

I have a sub panel in the basement. Could I (have an electrician) reconfigure that panel, or do I need to run from the main panel ?

ok, i found the site prep document-
it says you need 2) 16amp breakers / one branch for each power cord

soooo, can you do that from a sub panel???

CentralSigns

Really all you need is 2 spots in the breaker box, a breaker big enough to handle 40 amps. Run a wire big enough to handle 40 amps, and break it into 2 plugs at the printer. The reference to two 2 pole lines is mute. All that means is that the printer requires a 220 line and that the printer requires 2 16 amp plugs, they can be combined from the plug to the box.

AUTO-FX

Really all you need is 2 spots in the breaker box, a breaker big enough to handle 40 amps. Run a wire big enough to handle 40 amps, and break it into 2 plugs at the printer. The reference to two 2 pole lines is mute. All that means is that the printer requires a 220 line and that the printer requires 2 16 amp plugs, they can be combined from the plug to the box.

Thanks,
I was just looking at the sub panel - should be simple enough for an electrician.There are 3 heavy lines feeding the panel. And it's right on the other side of the wall from where I would need the outlets.
I can wire a ceiling fan or a light switch, but other than that I dont know squat about electric! :covereyes:

CentralSigns

Then the electrician will need to just go through the wall, that means less money for wire. You need two open slots in the box, for the 220 breaker. That means that you need to have 2 breaker holes still covered up.

fillupc

I installed outlets for mine yesterday, on separate breakers. Installing both outlets on one large breaker is probably not a good idea. If you have an electrical problem inside printer, you want the breaker to trip when current exceeds 16 amps. This will not happen if you tie both outlets to the same breaker that is rated for 40 amps.

Phillip

MachServTech

you want the breaker to trip when current exceeds 16 amps. This will not happen if you tie both outlets to the same breaker that is rated for 40 amps.

Phillip

Although unlikely because of the ABB breakers internal to the machine, it is always safer to install 2 separate lines. If the breakers fail to trip it will instantly smoke the PCA board. $3000

Two Lines at these specs:

Input voltage
220-240 V~ (-10%+6%)

Input frequency
50/60Hz

Power consumption
4.8 kW (overall consumption for both power cords)

Maximum load current
(per power cord) 15A

sfr table hockey

For a 220 line you mainly need two spots on the pannel to get a 220 line. You should have a min 12 guage wire running to a 220 Volt outlet so it is not wise to use the existing wire to that plug unless you can tell if it's 12 guage or lower. The higher number (14 guage is standard for most home 110 outlets). If you run a higher voltage through you risk the chance of the wire overheating. It's kind of like at christmass when you have one outlet with 8 things plugged into it. The wire gets over worked.

So if you can run a whole new line of 12 or 10 guage wire to an outlet to run the printer it is not a problem.

cdiesel

Keep in mind, running a single large breaker and then just splitting it in two is defeating the whole purpose of the breaker. Let's say the main line for the printer is pulling 8 amps, and then there is a large spike on the heater line to 25 amps.. You'll fry the heater, and never trip the breaker. Could cause a fire. Do it right guys.

It's also going to be more efficient to run lower amps over multiple wires than higher amps over a single set of wires.

sfr table hockey

Keep in mind, running a single large breaker and then just splitting it in two is defeating the whole purpose of the breaker. Let's say the main line for the printer is pulling 8 amps, and then there is a large spike on the heater line to 25 amps.. You'll fry the heater, and never trip the breaker. Could cause a fire. Do it right guys.

It's also going to be more efficient to run lower amps over multiple wires than higher amps over a single set of wires.

I too think separate lines if you have two things to plug into. Do not split a line.

rcook99

sfr table hockey said:
For a 220 line you mainly need two spots on the pannel to get a 220 line. You should have a min 12 guage wire running to a 220 Volt outlet so it is not wise to use the existing wire to that plug unless you can tell if it's 12 guage or lower. The higher number (14 guage is standard for most home 110 outlets). If you run a higher voltage through you risk the chance of the wire overheating. It's kind of like at christmass when you have one outlet with 8 things plugged into it. The wire gets over worked.

So if you can run a whole new line of 12 or 10 guage wire to an outlet to run the printer it is not a problem.

You might want to check your local codes for electrical as I believe you will find that a 40amp breaker will need to be wired with 10 gauge minimum. When I built my house I was required to use the 10 gauge for the oven which was 50 amps. Good luck, I wish I was hooking one up here. ;-)

sfr table hockey

You might want to check your local codes for electrical as I believe you will find that a 40amp breaker will need to be wired with 10 gauge minimum. When I built my house I was required to use the 10 gauge for the oven which was 50 amps. Good luck, I wish I was hooking one up here. ;-)

Not sure they were talking about a 40 amp breaker. That may have been an example in another post.
I'm sure you are right about the bigger gauge wire for higher amp breakers.

OldPaint

10 ga wire for 220v? sorry folks but i wired a 220v 60 amp plug for my air compressor/250 amp lincoln buzz box welder........and i run 6 or 8 ga WIRE!!!! NO LESS.
i also have pottery kilns all 220V, and these will melt 10 ga wire!!!!!!!!!! try running 10 ga to your STOVE OR DRYER.........and see what happens. 10 ga wire is good 120V..........no more.

AUTO-FX

Okay guys, my electrician was out, looked at the specs, and here was his recommendation......

Attachments

• wire diagram.jpg
    wire diagram.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 322

andy

The HP site prep specs for the L25500 indicate that you need 2) 220v outlets. I believe it is one for the heater system and one for the printer mechanicals. Does this require individual breakers for each outlet or no? The specs dont say.
Thanks!:thumb:

Yes, if there are two separate power inputs to the machine you ideally want two 240v supply cables with breakers on each which are EXACTLY matched to the amperage of each of the power inputs on the machine.

220/240v is the standard supply over here so your machine would be connected to mains using two power leads which both had 15amp fuses fitted inside the plug... in other words HP would automatically supply a pair of power cables with a 15amp "limiter" built into each one.

You don't have fused plugs so you have to rely on the circuit breaker alone.. that's why you need two circuits each with a 15amp breaker.. there is no other way to protect the power to each machine input from exceeding the maximum 15amp rating.

I'd also look to earth bonding the machine. Again, our plugs have a third earthing pin which automatically earths every appliance you plug into your sockets. Without this automatic earthing it would make sense to independently earth out your printer.