HP Printer recommendations

patrickj75

I'm new to the business. I currently have a friend printing my vinyl but I've been looking for an affordable HP large format printer. I'm not sure which model(s) are worth looking at. I mainly work on ATV/motorcycle graphics kits. I use 30" media minimum. I'm also open to other brands. I have had experience with HP as a CAD drafter that's why I'm starting there.

nate

I'm new to the business. I currently have a friend printing my vinyl but I've been looking for an affordable HP large format printer. I'm not sure which model(s) are worth looking at. I mainly work on ATV/motorcycle graphics kits. I use 30" media minimum. I'm also open to other brands. I have had experience with HP as a CAD drafter that's why I'm starting there.

If you're looking for an HP, I still have one of the 42" L25500 units for sales. Looking to get $5,000 for it. Send me a PM if interested.

Thanks,
Nate

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
If you're looking for an HP, I still have one of the 42" L25500 units for sales. Looking to get $5,000 for it. Send me a PM if interested.

Thanks,
Nate

Man I called and left a message for you dad I have a guy who wants that unit right now. Call me or PM me ok

rjssigns

Major Contributor
You will need around 3 times that amount to get a used printer. Or you can follow the thread about the WIT Color printers from China. chris190 is getting a dual DX5, 1.8m wide for $6500.

The bare truth is if I new then what I knew now I would outsource everything. I have 54" Roland that only gets used for last minute rush jobs and short lead jobs.

Think of it this way. Once you get a client to buy then you have to babysit the printer, then laminate. Subbing out means you can lock down another client/market while someone else frets about the product. We are doing this more and more.

Subcontracting also opens up product lines. I am doing 16ga laser cut and etched chassis tags for a race shop. Do I have the laser? No. But a friend has a 1000 watt Hitachi that makes the product for me. Client orders 100's at a time. Slam dunk.

J Hill Designs

Major Contributor
I have an 64" hp 9000 for sale. Needs a new pump, and a new head. I'd sell it for 1800.

and for what its worth you can probably fix the pump with new tubing ($40 for 25 yds of it) and rearrange the heads to only print CMYK, putting the bad head on lc or lm [caveat: unless its electrically fried, and not just clogged beyond repair]

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I can get you a used HP-Z6100 for about $2600 but you will need a laminator and to do the applications you want its not ideal for but can be done. I would reccomend outsourcing until you have enough capitol to do it the right way.

signswi

Very Active Member
Outsource you barely have enough capital to buy one roll each of cast vinyl and lam much less a printer.