• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I don't know nothin about sailboats and also font help

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Almost always.

Yes, you can always find a weird exception. Normally, the jib hugs the deck.

They're probably running an off-sized jib built for a different boat. The only time I would ever hoist a jib that high up the forestay would be in very light air. If that foresail was built for that boat, its leading edge would be the same length as the forestay.

signmeup

Easy there big fella. With your encouragement I drew up this version. Better?

Attachments

• SailorsRetreat3.jpg
    SailorsRetreat3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 67

signmeup

still thinking too much of the letter is covered by the sail. maybe move the boat down some. please post the pix of this once you are done as I love to see your work.
Will do Marlene. I think the O will be alright because the sails and mast will be 3D so I think the O will be visible from the sides.

I'm going to mess with a boat a bit more.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Based on your post #22, I think you need to span your kerning quite a bit and now the boat looks like a cub scouts carved block going for his water patch. I believe you need some more detail.

paul luszcz

You have a strange attitude. There's nothing wrong with a little artistic license but there's no reason to ridicule someone for making you aware of the correct position of the sails. Would you draw a car with square wheels if you thought it looked prettier? Probably not, because you know wheels are round. Well,"oldgoatroper" and your client's husband know that the sails in your drawing are "square" when they should be round.

Instead of working that into a "pretty" drawing, you find an image of a jib taken at an angle that hides the forestay (which is and always will be straight) and another of a jib with a luff at the bottom, indicating something is either set wrong or broken.

Your carving will most likely be close enough to please your clients. It's not close enough to thrill them.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Easy there big fella. With your encouragement I drew up this version. Better?

hehe....

To my eye, that looks much better already.

Do me a favour, though -- find out what kind of boat it is and I'll help you get a good-looking set and a proper sheerline as well. There are little nuances that mean nothing to a landlubber and everything to a sailor.

signmeup

Now that sounds like a good deal old goat. I'll see if she CAN find out anything...

Last edited:

SignManiac

What about something along this line where you can pull the name together???

Attachments

• sailboat.jpg
    sailboat.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 75

signmeup

You have a strange attitude. There's nothing wrong with a little artistic license but there's no reason to ridicule someone for making you aware of the correct position of the sails. Would you draw a car with square wheels if you thought it looked prettier? Probably not, because you know wheels are round. Well,"oldgoatroper" and your client's husband know that the sails in your drawing are "square" when they should be round.

Instead of working that into a "pretty" drawing, you find an image of a jib taken at an angle that hides the forestay (which is and always will be straight) and another of a jib with a luff at the bottom, indicating something is either set wrong or broken.

Your carving will most likely be close enough to please your clients. It's not close enough to thrill them.
Yeah... that sounds like me! I meant no disrespect to old goat. ( I think he gets that)

BTW... I have no doubt the forestay in the image is indeed straight but the sail in the image is curved because of the angle of the photographer to the boat when he took the picture. Sometimes knowing that something is straight keeps us from drawing what we see. I wish I could get a look at this guys boat now...

eye4clr

Go ahead and curve the luff of the jib. But attach the bottom corner to the bow. I'm a life long sailor that's raced on every coast and cruised half way around the world. I personally like the curved sail version that gives the feeling of pressure in the sails. To me the straight edge version looks uptight and tense.

It is a sign after all and not a technical drawing. If you're not trying to exactly replicate their boat, you have quite a bit of license.

Just don't do something really offensive like having a flag going in the wrong direction relative to the sails and you'll be fine.

Speedsterbeast

Go ahead and curve the luff of the jib. But attach the bottom corner to the bow. I'm a life long sailor that's raced on every coast and cruised half way around the world. I personally like the curved sail version that gives the feeling of pressure in the sails. To me the straight edge version looks uptight and tense.

It is a sign after all and not a technical drawing. If you're not trying to exactly replicate their boat, you have quite a bit of license.

Just don't do something really offensive like having a flag going in the wrong direction relative to the sails and you'll be fine.

Totally agree. The curve looks like the boat has motion.
Leave the original artwork be.
Looks like I was beat in posting a picture of a hoisted storm jib to show that the foot can be at quite a sharp angle to the deck.

All this sailing talk is making me miss my boat.
Still over 100 days until launch.

Oh well. Over to Youtube to watch some Volvo ocean racing until I can put my toe rail in the water.

Hey Signmeup ... Dan here :) If this guy is a serious sailor as it sounds like he is, these guys aren't just beating up on your design he will notice the sail plan.

Looks good though. Fix that and even the ragmen/sailors will be happy. Can't wait to see the finished product.

signmeup

Wow! Lots of input over night. Thanks for posting your thoughts. I should mention that I do know how to sail BTW. My dad taught me when I was just a pup.(Sunfish built in a basement)

I think Gino said it best... something about cub scouts and detail. The budget for this doesn't allow much detail. Eye4clr had a good point too... this is not a technical drawing...

I will go back to a stylized version of a sailboat. I can make it fit the space better and I also like the feeling of motion it gives. I will take advantage of the good advice I have been given and make it a bit more like the real thing though. The sailing purists will have to consider it "art".

I will be off now... looking for an extended font like Optima.

And no seagulls!