• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ice Rink Graphics

EstiSetser

Got a customer wanting graphics on an outdoor ice rink. We know the process, and I've read that Ultraflex Ultramesh Plus works for it. The stuff we have in stock has lost its label, but it's either Ultramesh Plus or Strip Mesh. Only difference is the tensile strength, so would Strip Mesh still work for this?

EstiSetser

Yeh, that's what I meant. We are redoing their dasher boards, too, but that's all under control.
Thanks, I'll let the salesman know to go ahead with the quote as is.

bosdub

Hi!

I'm curious what material you are using for the dasher boards? Trying to find a decent material for our local youth hockey arena.

Thx

bosdub

Probably should have mentioned that I used Strip Mesh at our local rink and it worked just fine. No coating.

JoeBoomer

We used to use Oracal 3640 for the dasher boards w/ luster laminate. I know it seems crazy to use such cheap calendared vinyl, but it's worked for years. (Customer installs)

Doyle

I've received a request for some in-ice graphics for a local youth hockey rink. I've done a little searching and found this thread, which is helpful. I can get the strip mesh material from Fellers, but I have a couple of questions. After printing, can I contour-cut (by hand) the image/logo with or without a white border or should it remain a rectangular shape as printed on the material? Do I need to do anything special for finishing or will the graphics be ready to use without any further coatings etc? I've never printed these before and I am somewhat unfamiliar with how they are encapsulated in the ice (or even why they must be printed on the mesh material, for that matter?).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

sfr table hockey

I have just used mesh banner material. It allows the water to squeeze out of the holes and stays flat when rolling out and it is like window perf where you don't notice the holes from a few feet away. Print the mesh with a double print if you can to make it more bold.

After they build the ice up a bit, they will start laying the lines and logos. They use a paint roller with a bucket of water. You can lay out the mesh and then start rolling the water over top to tack it. Then once a thin layer is rolled over the entire mesh they lightly flood with a sprayer and then more after that. You just don't want to flood too much and melt the area so that the mesh could move or lift in areas. Again the mesh helps hold the logos in place with a little water on top that freezes quick.

There is a rink mesh that they sell which is a bit more of a material feel but I used the mesh from 4 over and they can print some large one piece logos. I did cut around the logos by hand just so there was less white space of the mesh showing. If the white of the ice is different you may notice the outline of the mesh but overall it blends in from the seats.

Just know that things look large when installing but tend to look a lot smaller from the seats.

Also depending on how much they flood on top of the mesh will determine how good the color is and how good the logos look. This last time the rink guys put a thicker layer on top of the mesh and the logos tend to look a bit more dull but that goes for all the lines they did and not just the mesh logos. You don't want it too thin and have a skate take a chunk out and expose the mesh.

They also took the mesh out last year and got a bit too close to them when shaving the ice and I needed to patch a spot or two which got ripped up. A couple other spots they painted black paint over areas of the mesh that were torn and missing and you can not tell after they are flooded, so repairs can be made if you have the same color to match. Black was easy.

Doyle

I have just used mesh banner material. It allows the water to squeeze out of the holes and stays flat when rolling out and it is like window perf where you don't notice the holes from a few feet away. Print the mesh with a double print if you can to make it more bold.

After they build the ice up a bit, they will start laying the lines and logos. They use a paint roller with a bucket of water. You can lay out the mesh and then start rolling the water over top to tack it. Then once a thin layer is rolled over the entire mesh they lightly flood with a sprayer and then more after that. You just don't want to flood too much and melt the area so that the mesh could move or lift in areas. Again the mesh helps hold the logos in place with a little water on top that freezes quick.

There is a rink mesh that they sell which is a bit more of a material feel but I used the mesh from 4 over and they can print some large one piece logos. I did cut around the logos by hand just so there was less white space of the mesh showing. If the white of the ice is different you may notice the outline of the mesh but overall it blends in from the seats.

Just know that things look large when installing but tend to look a lot smaller from the seats.

Also depending on how much they flood on top of the mesh will determine how good the color is and how good the logos look. This last time the rink guys put a thicker layer on top of the mesh and the logos tend to look a bit more dull but that goes for all the lines they did and not just the mesh logos. You don't want it too thin and have a skate take a chunk out and expose the mesh.

They also took the mesh out last year and got a bit too close to them when shaving the ice and I needed to patch a spot or two which got ripped up. A couple other spots they painted black paint over areas of the mesh that were torn and missing and you can not tell after they are flooded, so repairs can be made if you have the same color to match. Black was easy.

Thank you for the information! I am looking at Ultra Flex strip mesh material, which is a "standard hole" mesh, as opposed to some others that have small holes. I understand that the smaller holes will yield a better image/more vibrant colors, but should I stick with the standard hole mesh material, or do you have a recommendation? Either way, I should do an over-print (double-print)? Thanks again!

jfiscus

Rap Master
ANY type of mesh should work fine for under-ice graphics. We just finished the local rink here - WHEW! That is the biggest P.I.T.A. project we have all year; over 400 different printed pieces in one project... and EVERY piece of art came in at the wrong size, w/o bleeds, etc, etc. FUN TIMES!

Attachments

• rink4.jpg
    rink4.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 229
  • rink3.jpg
    rink3.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 244
  • rink2.jpg
    rink2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 270
  • rink1.jpg
    rink1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 242

visual800

mesh banner will be fine. we used it in local mall. spray rink with mist water, lay graphics down and then start coating it

sfr table hockey

Thank you for the information! I am looking at Ultra Flex strip mesh material, which is a "standard hole" mesh, as opposed to some others that have small holes. I understand that the smaller holes will yield a better image/more vibrant colors, but should I stick with the standard hole mesh material, or do you have a recommendation? Either way, I should do an over-print (double-print)? Thanks again!

Yes the smaller hole mesh would show a bit better but the stuff I used was just standard mesh from 4 over. I re printed one AD on my own, with standard mesh, and my color was a bit better being double printed but not a huge difference once in the ice. The thickness of the ice on top of the mesh is what makes a bigger difference in how good it looks.

DanielM

Hello Everyone,

Thread looks a bit quiet hoping to get some help.
We are bidding a ice rink job and they requested mesh banner in the ice. We are wondering if it needs to be a latex printer or solvent printer?
I would appreciate the help thank you!

Last edited:

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Hello Everyone,

Thread looks a bit quiet hoping to get some help.
We are bidding a ice rink job and they requested mesh banner in the ice. We are wondering if it needs to be a latex printer or solvent printer?
I would appreciate the help thank you!

I would think either one is fine. Once it's encapsulated in the ice, the ink type won't really matter.