• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing 4 x 8 outdoor sign

PaPrinter

Looking for the proper way to install a 4' x 8' sign. It will be mounted to a cinder block wall. Using 1/8" Dibond or a similar aluminum composite substrate, is 1/8 thick enough? I'm concerned about expansion and contraction here in Pennsylvania. Also wind loading. Will normal standoffs around the perimeter be ok?

Thanks

reQ

When i do any dibond signs install right against the wall i would always make a simple frame from treated 2x4 & stain it black. That way sign will be raised a bit from the wall. If you screw it right flat, it will look cheap.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Looking for the proper way to install a 4' x 8' sign. It will be mounted to a cinder block wall. Using 1/8" Dibond or a similar aluminum composite substrate, is 1/8 thick enough? I'm concerned about expansion and contraction here in Pennsylvania. Also wind loading. Will normal standoffs around the perimeter be ok?

Thanks

Masonry screws with washers, paint to match. A few dabs of Lexel.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't know where you are in Pennsylvania, but around here, if you flush mount a sign to a wall, there's generally no wind load/sheer involved.

There are several correct ways to mount a sign to a wall. If you're gonna use thin 1/8" stuff, ya need to build a frame from either wood or metal, preferably aluminum. Mount the sign to that. If you use thicker material, you can use french cleats... or a frame. Depends on what the customers wants. Some customers don't wanna see any fasteners showing, so you might build a top and bottom holder, bend the lip and screw down from the top and up on the bottom and the same to the sides. Stand offs for something as flimsy as 1/8" I doubt would work. Not saying it won't, but doesn't sound feasible.

boxerbay

instead of dibond use .040 aluminum cheaper and tapcon with washers screwed directly in to the wall.

PaPrinter

This is our first large outdoor sign. I want to make it look decent without spending too much, make it last and try to make it look professional. I'm thinking some kind of frame to get it away from the wall. I'm very new to this.

Lind SignSpring

You could always give our system a look :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• LindSignSpring 101(BannerSpring BannerFrame) 5-16-16.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 1,018

Billct2

I was being facetious.... An .040 aluminum panel screwed to a wall generally looks cheap, all wavy and pocked where fastened. I would do a 3mm ACM on an aluminum tube frame and clips to fasten, add a nice raised border to make it look even better.

petepaz

1" aluminum tube frame mounted to the building with L brackets or angle aluminum, screw the sign to the frame then i get decorative molding from the carpet department and mount that to the edges to give it a finished look

Attachments

• aluminum building sign-1.jpg
    aluminum building sign-1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 485
  • aluminum building sign.jpg
    aluminum building sign.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 705

PaPrinter

1" aluminum tube frame mounted to the building with L brackets or angle aluminum, screw the sign to the frame then i get decorative molding from the carpet department and mount that to the edges to give it a finished look

I do like this. What kind of decorative molding are we talking about? Like an L shape? And the tubing, were they attached 1 by 1 to the wall or were they secured together?

Thanks

petepaz

i use L aluminum brackets (angle iron or aluminum brackets from lowes or home depot) get the ones with holes. i screw that to the inside of the frame and then screw that to the building with screws and washers appropriate for the building material. then screw the sign to the frame and yes L shaped molding. basically what they use for stairs. some places only have 8ft lengths but you can get 10 and 12ft sections. if they don't have the color i need i spray paint it. then screw that in to the frame from the outside edges so it' not so visible and depending on where it's going i usually spray the screws the same color of the molding.

Attachments

• sign frame.png
    sign frame.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 518

PaPrinter

i use L aluminum brackets (angle iron or aluminum brackets from lowes or home depot) get the ones with holes. i screw that to the inside of the frame and then screw that to the building with screws and washers appropriate for the building material. then screw the sign to the frame and yes L shaped molding. basically what they use for stairs. some places only have 8ft lengths but you can get 10 and 12ft sections. if they don't have the color i need i spray paint it. then screw that in to the frame from the outside edges so it' not so visible and depending on where it's going i usually spray the screws the same color of the molding.

Great! Thanks! Where do you get the braces from?

Pat Whatley

Mount the sign to the frame with exterior VHB tape and you won't have fugly screws sticking all over the sign face.

reQ

Mount the sign to the frame with exterior VHB tape and you won't have fugly screws sticking all over the sign face.

Okay... it might be just me, but i would never in my life hang 4x8 dibond sign outside using double sided tape.

ams

1/4" would be better to prevent warping. Put in four lead anchors in the corners and drill in. You could also put one in the 4' middle of the top and bottom to support the middle.

Sounds like overkill, but it's up to code and cannot fall down.

J Hill Designs

Okay... it might be just me, but i would never in my life hang 4x8 dibond sign outside using double sided tape.

same.

I also don't go as heavy duty as lead anchors with a lightweight dibond sign

i've used 1.5" angle aluminum glued to sign with LORDS (and a few countersunk screws for good measure) then clips on wall