• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing Trailer Graphics - how do you do it?

Lauren

Hi everyone, just want to pick your brains on installing large graphics on a trailer. A long time ago, I remember we would set up two ladders and put a wooden plank between so two people could walk it and install. We don't do that anymore (not sure exactly why, but it doesn't seem too safe). However, the way we are doing these installs with two ladders and a ton of space between them is HARD. What do you do? I found this video on youtube and it looks like a good concept compared to the wooden plank - anyone know what's going on in it? Looks like something between the ladders but what?

[video=youtube;3tkv8HbjePM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tkv8HbjePM[/video]

Lauren

Awesome - thank you so much! Anyone know of any planks rated for more than 1 person/250lbs? I looked at all of the Werner planks and they are all 1 person capacity...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a 17' and an 11' aluminum extendable walk plank set ups. Ours are rated at 250lbs, also. That's an OSHA rule. I can't tell ya how many times we've had close to 400lbs. on them. In fact, Kasey and myself were already on them and Kasey is 275lbs alone and I'm another 210lbs. Sure, there was some bounce, but no fear of anything tumbling.

Oh, and that was with them fully extended. We try not to both be in the middle at the same time.

mudmedia

I was at a trade show and Little Giant told me that they rate them at 250lbs because that is what they are required to. They will easily hold 400+ no problem.

Baz

We use what's called a "baker". Kind of a mobile scaffolding unit that painters use. Ours has about a 30"x96" plank.

Closest picture i could find on google is this. Not exactly what we have but close.

Attachments

• Mini%20Rise.jpg
    Mini%20Rise.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 237

petepaz

It's probably this ... or something very similar.

Werner Aluminum Work Platform

It extends from one ladder to another, just like your old wooden plank (you just can't see the 2nd ladder in the video).

i use this also and it's great been using it for years. works great. no problem with two people on there either.
the sad part is the plank cost more then the ladder.

MikePro

I was at a trade show and Little Giant told me that they rate them at 250lbs because that is what they are required to. They will easily hold 400+ no problem.

+1
had me (175lb) and my assistant (240lb, easily) working on one at the same time and it only gave us an uneasy feeling when we both wound-up standing in the center at about ~15' extension and it started to flex but luckily it never actually started bending before we both took a quick-step to each side.

MikePro

Been thinking about this all day...I'm probably best off just renting a couple hovercrafts ;)

before you do, the platform is worth a trial. Go buy one from M-nar-d's, keep your receipt, do your install, and return it.
Highly recommend the "M-word" for this, as the only reason they have so many locations is because they literally take years to pay their contractors... well, only the ones that finally agree to settle for partial payment in store credit.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Been thinking about this all day...I'm probably best off just renting a couple hovercrafts ;)

Just go down to the local gym or outdoor court and get the right install team.....

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• install-team.jpg
    install-team.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 229

ProWraps

The Werner setup is what we use and its a very good setup. Im 230lbs and have had another person on the walkboard with no problems. Keep in mind, at no times will both people be standing in the middle of the platform. Typically it will be at either end. I think you can get the entire setup for around $700-$800. We have used ours a great deal and they paid for themselves very quickly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, there is another way. We do it quite often.... or shall I say.... the guys do it quite a bit.

We set up a step ladder at the two ends and put a third one in the middle. If you have three people, you can hang a long stretch down in no time flat and everyone works in their areas. If ya have two people, ya just set in place the two ends, one person goes to the middle and you work towards the other person and then reverse the other side. We have 8 step ladders and a few shorter step ladders, so we're never hurting for one.

:rock-n-roll:

Gene@mpls

This is what we use- 2 tripod adjustable stands with a walkway on top- this one I built (17 years ago) from an alum extension ladder taken apart and welded together with plywood deck- it is 10' long we have a commercial 14' one as well. The tripods I think were called Mustang. Gene

Attachments

• DSC06861.JPG
    DSC06861.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 172

phototec

I have the Werner 8'-13' expandable work platform and have used it for over 10 years, it works great for ONE person, I have on occasions had a helper on it, but it is very dangerous because it is seamed in the center, that is where it will give and break, why risk an accident.

It's rated at 250lbs and works great fro me alone, I use it all the time, however for larger jobs that require 2-3 people, I use the Werner 20' work platform which is rated for 500lb, it's one piece and very strong, I have had three people on it and NO flex at all, worth the money.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_65500-50116-2520_0__?productId=3370432

Remember this, you can pay the $500-$1,000 now for a safe work platform, or you can pay that or more for an ER visit, not to mention the loss time when your arm in a sling!

Better to be safe than sorry

Attachments

• WernerAluminumStage2300Series-3.jpg
    WernerAluminumStage2300Series-3.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Mosh

I have the Werner 8'-23' expandable work platform

I have 4 of these, enough to do both sides of a semi trailer at the same time. They don't wiggle, even with 3-4 people on them. I got them from my father's construction co when he retired.

Lauren

Those of you with the extendable work platforms that go between ladders...what is the max height you use them at?

Mosh

When I built my house I used them 24' up in the air, I have ladder jacks that hook onto extension ladders.

2.jpg