• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's 11-11-11!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
blondie.gif
Repetitive and sequential dates are spooky. Happy Veteran's Day though.

Dave Drane

Once upon a time it was called Armistice Day or Poppy Day in Australia. Now it is called Remembrance Day. At 11a.m. there is 1 minute's silence for all our soldiers who were killed since WW1, and especially those at Flanders in France, where the poppies flourished.

genericname

Once upon a time it was called Armistice Day or Poppy Day in Australia. Now it is called Remembrance Day. At 11a.m. there is 1 minute's silence for all our soldiers who were killed since WW1, and especially those at Flanders in France, where the poppies flourished.

Question, we do the poppy thing as well, but is wearing the poppy a universal thing in Australia? What do you know about it in other commonwealth countries? I heard conflicting stories.

GypsyGraphics

at 11:11pm tonight i'm, cranking the Marshall stack up to 11! woohoo!

i wanted to wake up at 11:11... to this song... but i'm a 6am gal. i'd have to take a nap to pull it off.
gonna drive everyone crazy singing this today :tongue: hehe

Rufus Wainwright, 11:11

love Rufus!

Last edited:

andy

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month... I've been marking this hour on this day my whole life.

On November the 11th 1918 at precisely 11am the Armistice which ended the first world war was signed... today is and always will be Armistice Day. At exactly 11am you will stop whatever you are doing and observe a minutes silence to honour the fallen.

Rememberance Sunday is always on the Sunday immediately after Armistice Day and this is the day you go to your local war memorial and observe another minutes silence at precisely 11am. Sunday is also the day when the Queen and all the politicians lay their Poppy wreathes at the Cenotaph.

Over hear Poppies and observance of both Armistice & Rememberance Sunday are gravely serious things which you don't disrespect... as far as I am aware every single commonweath country is represented on both days.

For us it's a very important day because we've lost so many people.... to give you an idea, the battle of the Somme killed or wounded 60,000 men... on the first DAY.

genericname

Over hear Poppies and observance of both Armistice & Rememberance Sunday are gravely serious things which you don't disrespect... as far as I am aware every single commonweath country is represented on both days.

Huh! First I've heard of Remembrance Sunday, actually. Our Armistice Day is called Remembrance Day, and the Sunday following has no significance whatsoever.