• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion I've owned an HP R1000 since April 2019, ask me anything

Lunar Graphix

Button Pusher
Gonna spoil his fun...he's not in work yet...two gripes...one has been resolved...there was(and still is until everyone's gets the next firmware) a 23 second delay between boards when running a multi panel job. The latest firmware destroys this almost completely. No need for adhesion promoter at all at this point...I am able to print onto glass and you need something sharp to scrape the ink off. The white ink will not green over time either. White head install from beginning to end(and printing) 11 minutes. Outside of a prime and nozzle check through with the drop detector, no wasted ink. No need to remove white ink box and shake once a day. The ink box has a second bladder and every 24 hours the printer moves all of the ink from one bladder to the other mixing it as well as the ink in the system...
The only time you need to recalibrate the heads is when you replace one. As long as you put each of the heads back in their previously calibrated slot you are good to go.
gremlins under the hood..none yet. The product is still evolving. We have not gotten onboard profiling yet but it is coming in a future firmware update. I just went through service training a few weeks back and it is a super easy printer to troubleshoot and repair. To make this product issue free, you absolutely have to create your own media profiles. Once you dial in your media you are good to go. I was running everything 600dpi/8pass for the first 6 months..now I am 300dpi/pass no banding whatsoever.
.030 styrene was the only media that took some extra time to dial in heat for me.
I honestly haven't timed boards...on old firmware 6 4x8 probably felt correct...I just ran 175 12.5x23 in about an hour and 15min yesterday...

second gripe...for whatever reason it does not like same size file on same size sheet. The printer is designed to print on the belt.(huge improvement over fb's...takes about an hour and a half to change)So you are always printing slightly oversized file or onto an oversized sheet. And there isn't an issue every time...just occasionally. I have a router on the list this year so that won't be a problem any longer.

I do love the r2r and panel to panel accuracy. Way better than my 560.

New stuff...multiple queues so you can set the next 8 jobs up while printing for the printer to just keep running. And end users should be able to upgrade their own firmware in the near future.

and Im still not sure what my compressor is used for... :)

Spot on squirrel! Just got in to work, it's 2am local.

We opted into the beta for recent MR firmware and man we love it. That multi file select is clutch......

I'm really happy with the updates as they've been rolling out. When we first received, it was odd that it was missing some key features from older gen flat beds, but it was explained to us that the machine was shipped without the IPS being fully fleshed out and they would consider feedback when prioritizing new updates. There have been 3-4 updates in the last year and we've gotten some great efficiency boosts and bug fixes on the IPS. It can definitely get better and I'm looking forward to future updates. My wife likes to press that little smiley feedback button on the top right of the IPS a lot lol. This always results in a call to my cell from the barcelona feedback team..

We run 300dpi on everything except ultra fine text. Training tech told us 600dpi was useless unless you wanted to wait around longer.

Yep, creating new media profiles is simple and user friendly. Just clone, change, and sync to onyx.

The air compressor is used to fill the bladder on the input and take-up rollers :)
which by the way I LOVE so much after dealing with skewing on the scitex.. oh and they have a "deskew" option you can set to occur every X inches during a roll print. I can start a roll and go home and not worry a bit about skew. I'd say 20% of rolls we do are totally unattended, with the monitored ones simply being because we are there working on other stuff.

jasonx

I'm referring to SMK1 and SMK2 as per the user manual, not the print head cleaning kit. You also have an SMK White kit and a WMIK kit.

Another question about adhesive promoter. I think this is optimizer, yeah? If that's the case then yep have to use on everything.

The Optimizer is not analogous to adhesion promoter. Optimizer immobilizes the pigment in the ink on contact, to control dot gain and pins the ink dot in place. Optimizer allows for higher quality printing at faster speed. It is also among the inks with the lowest consumption profile.

Optimizer does not improve or enhance ink bond to the substrate in the way that an adhesion promoter does.

Last edited:

MikePro

so optimizer on everything, but you still use adhesion promoter on certain substrates that are having issues?

hot damn, that maintenance kit tho'. 3x the cost of my 26500, I'd imagine printheads are a bit more as well?
still not talkin' me outta this machine anytime soon, fell in love with it at the last ISA show alongside another flatbed from AFGA, but the hybrid feature makes it more versatile & appealing to me.

MikePro

how's the printing for transluscents? does the white transluce?

does it have the ability to print overlapping color>white>color in one-go for proper illumination?

does it have the ability to print overlapping color>white>color in one-go for proper illumination?

The density used for white ink will determine its translucence or opacity. Lower densities will be more translucent, while higher white ink densities are amazingly opaque - even to the point of white ink covering black substrates with an L* value > 90!

There is also the ability for day/night (color-white-color) in a single pass, and even single-pass 5-layer (Color-White-Black-White-Color) for double-sided with unique messages on both sides.

MikePro

So with fairly decent amount of printing, you're using about 2 maintenance kits per month....
How many printheads have you replaced in the last year?

different beasts, i'm sure, but woof....that's one heck of a pricetag on service parts.

Lunar Graphix

Button Pusher
We were using over 6 a month. Have you calculated actual printing cost? Don’t relay on HP’s app. We did and we’re over .35 a sq ft.
Have not calculated print cost, not sure how we could do this since the ink usage is not very accurate. Most things we run at a 4 or 6 pass, and we charge $150/hr for machine time

Lunar Graphix

Button Pusher
So with fairly decent amount of printing, you're using about 2 maintenance kits per month....
How many printheads have you replaced in the last year?

different beasts, i'm sure, but woof....that's one heck of a pricetag on service parts.

We've replaced 4 or 5 print heads under warranty and 6 heads out of pocket after reaching 40-50,000 ml ink fired thru them. Heads are $530

Lunar Graphix

Button Pusher

Yep, as P wagner said you can do what they call "sandwich" mode, which can be color/white/color or color/white/black/white/color in 1 go. We've done a few double sided window prints like this. Pretty slow as we have to run at a 33 pass minimum but the option is nice to have!