• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just venting a little

jkdbjj

So my name is Mike, and I started my business beginning at 2008. Before that I worked for various companies in the same industry.
I currently am at the same stage I was in when I started. I didn't have the money to start huge, and I have a small loyal client base that keeps me busy. However I never seem to make enough to grow the business.

This is what I love to do, and can see myself doing it until I can not walk etc... However at times doing this by myself is hard. My son is now 17 he is autistic, and he is one of the reason I wanted to do this on my own, so he would have a place to work as he graduates.

Anyway, anyone do any business coaching on here, want to take a stab at my situation?

There are things I want to bring to the business I just can't, like wide format scanning. I am very good at that process and image manipulation and have companies I could approach to get that business. I turned down a job today because I don't have the equipment.

Anyway, like I said just a rant, and I feel out of focus sometimes, like I am doing everything all wrong! Can anyone relate? I mean I see some of the big companies on here, and I am like man, how did they get there???

OldPaint

NOT MANY PEOPLE HAVE WIDE FORMAT SCANNERS!!!
so you need to find a source where you can have it done. its like i dont have silk screen equipment but i sell anything in any quantity that is SILK SCREENED!!!
you got to learn to sell things you can outsource and then make a profit on just making a phone call. when you have something you want to get into the computer that is to big for your scanner........THEN PHOTOGRAPH IT. you need a good quality digital camera, a lens you can get somewhere between a 28mm-38mm so you can take a picture very close to a 1 to 1 ratio. take the subject outside but not in direct sunlight, use a tripod and a bounce screen for brighter light and no shadows.camera should be 12-20 mega pixels, so you will have a large file of the photo so when you reproduce it you will have beautiful clarity. i have a 16 megapixel camera i do this with. right outa the camera the size of the photo is almost 3 feet X 4 feet!!!! if your printing, you could double that and still have a great product.

jkdbjj

NOT MANY PEOPLE HAVE WIDE FORMAT SCANNERS!!!
so you need to find a source where you can have it done. its like i dont have silk screen equipment but i sell anything in any quantity that is SILK SCREENED!!!
you got to learn to sell things you can outsource and then make a profit on just making a phone call. when you have something you want to get into the computer that is to big for your scanner........THEN PHOTOGRAPH IT. you need a good quality digital camera, a lens you can get somewhere between a 28mm-38mm so you can take a picture very close to a 1 to 1 ratio. take the subject outside but not in direct sunlight, use a tripod and a bounce screen for brighter light and no shadows.camera should be 12-20 mega pixels, so you will have a large file of the photo so when you reproduce it you will have beautiful clarity. i have a 16 megapixel camera i do this with. right outa the camera the size of the photo is almost 3 feet X 4 feet!!!! if your printing, you could double that and still have a great product.
Thanks Old Paint, I use to have a very nice one, however it went down. They cost anywhere from 10 - 20 k for a decent one. I would charge around 4.00/sqft to scan. Which adds up quickly for architects and designer to digitize their color work.
24x36 - $24.00 x 10 originals = $240.00 for about $45 minutes of work.

I also have a decent camera, but, that just doesn't cut it for small fonts on maps etc... At least for me. It would be too much PS work, ya know?

Jon Aston

Wow!

Thanks to all of you for pointing Mike my way - very kind and greatly appreciated.

Mike, I offer all S101'ers a no charge, no obligation, 90min telephone consultation. It's a good way for us to get to know one another a little - and a great way for both of us to gain a sense of whether or not we're a good fit for one another.

PM me with the best days and times of day to reach you, and the best number at which to reach you, and I will work around your schedule to arrange a conversation with you. Just a quick word of warning and apology: I'm currently booking about 3 weeks out.

Jon

jkdbjj

Wow!

Thanks to all of you for pointing Mike my way - very kind and greatly appreciated.

Mike, I offer all S101'ers a no charge, no obligation, 90min telephone consultation. It's a good way for us to get to know one another a little - and a great way for both of us to gain a sense of whether or not we're a good fit for one another.

PM me with the best days and times of day to reach you, and the best number at which to reach you, and I will work around your schedule to arrange a conversation with you. Just a quick word of warning and apology: I'm currently booking about 3 weeks out.

Jon
PM sent...
Thanks!

lexsigns

Subs are great when you find the right ones. I never turn away work because I dont have the equiptment.. I am a one person show, have had employess = babysitting and redos to me. I have subs in every area of the feild and since they work for them selves they get it right. Bigger is not always better. IMO.
The profit margins may be smaller but so are the headaches :)

10sacer

Come see me here in Charlotte and we can have a beer and fly helicopters around the shop and talk business.