• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Learning Illustrator

GVP

I really need to learn to use Illustrator.
We are predominantly Corel based, but every now and then need to use Illustrator on a file. Everytime this happens, it takes me three times as long to do anything due to lack of experience in Illustrator, and I end up wondering why it all seems so complicated and not like Corel. Not intending to start a "Illustrator versus Coreldraw" post - just wondering if someone could point me to a resource that would help me understand what, to me, seems the crazy world of Illustrator. Any recommended books or online stuff? I have CS4 to work with.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Best sources are youtube (free), lynda.com, and lastly just google what you want to do and there is a video or written tutorial for just about anything

I am so familiar with Adobe, I have the opposite problem. When I have tried Corel I am lost since i rely heavily on keyboard shortcuts and have the menus memorized

There are things that Illustrator is lacking. Someone needs to take the best of both programs and combine them.

CES020

Spend $25 for a month's worth of Lynda.com. You can go back to CS4 and learn all you every want to know about it. It's a very vast library and it's done very well.

I was in the same boat as you. I used nothing but CorelDraw and found it so much easier. Now, a couple years later, I can probably trace items quicker in illustrator. It certainly does take some effort. It still frustrates me every so often, but overall, we get along much better now, even though I still use CorelDraw every day.

Photoshop, on the other hand.........not so much. I wish I had about 8 weeks to just use Photoshop every single day, 8 hours a day, just so I could learn it.

This using it once a month thing just doesn't work for me.

Dan Antonelli

Can I just say that I hate this god forsaken program and hate Adobe for killing my beloved Freehand, and Apple for not supporting Rosetta? I just did my first wrap design fully in Illy last week, and my staff was ready to kill me with the 1000 questions I had.

After 20 years on Freehand, I'm finding this way of thinking to be challenging, to say the least. I'll get there eventually, just need more time. But it frustrates me to know I can do same thing in Freehand 10x a fast as Illy (because I suck).

C

ColoPrinthead

Can I just say that I hate this god forsaken program and hate Adobe for killing my beloved Freehand, and Apple for not supporting Rosetta? I just did my first wrap design fully in Illy last week, and my staff was ready to kill me with the 1000 questions I had.

After 20 years on Freehand, I'm finding this way of thinking to be challenging, to say the least. I'll get there eventually, just need more time. But it frustrates me to know I can do same thing in Freehand 10x a fast as Illy (because I suck).

Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine!

I learned from Adobe's Classroom in a Book. Not being able to figure out AI on my own is what got me wrapped up in this business.

petepaz

i got 3 hrs of training when we bought our mac LC and illustrator 3
but that was enough to get the basics the rest i learned as i used it. the more you use it the more friendly it becomes but like said a few times lynda.com has a lot of helpfull stuff.
one of the guys i work with is a little younger than me and we both went to school for graphic art and design the only difference is when he went they had computers..haha

Tim Aucoin

Another vote for lynda.com
I am an annual subscriber (have been for 7 years now). I really ought to use it one of these days I suppose!! :rolleyes: