• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for Plans for work tables

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Metal, wood, PVC ?? What kinda surface on top ?? Do you want it on wheels ?? Fold down ?? Are you vonna build it or have it built ?? Need more than just...... I want a table.

The Grimm One

Metal, wood, PVC ?? What kinda surface on top ?? Do you want it on wheels ?? Fold down ?? Are you vonna build it or have it built ?? Need more than just...... I want a table.
I'm looking to build a wooden table(s). The top will eventually have a self healing mat on it, that wouldn't be mounted down for easy exchange when it gets worn out. Because the tables will be separate there is a need for the height to be adjustable at the corners to level and create a "level plain". It would be nice to add casters to the tables for easy moving.
The video that JR posted is a pretty good shop table and pretty close to what I would hope to build or find plans for; although I am hoping to find plans that are more inline for what a production table would need to be for a sign shop with storage and features for commonly used supplies and tools.

equippaint

The drawers at the bottom would be annoying, youd always be kicking them and theyd catch dirt. Recess in the legs and bottom so when youre reaching across the table your feet can go under and you dont bust your shins.
Same goes for the bins at the end, dirt catcher and youd always be knocking them off. The end of the table is about useless with them there.

JR's

ddarlak, did you watch the video? Those casters come off. It is for moving the bench.
And he was asking for information for plans to build a bench.
The plans for that bench is solid all the other ship don't add. And the stuff you do want add.

My bench doesn't have all at stuff on it but I am not a woodworker I am a sign guy I have stuff on it for a sign guy.
LOL, man this is a tough crowd I can see why people don't like helping other people. So where are your plans?

Johnny Best

This style is for major or light work 8' long by 3' or 4' wide you can use bottom for sh
worktable.jpg
elf

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The all time best tables I've had were the simplest. Get a 3'x8' banquet table at Staples or some such and scew a sheet of MDO to the top of the table. If you want bigger than 4x8 MDO comes in a couple of larger sizes. Put on a cutting mat held down with a bit of banner hem tape. Cheap, easy, and fast. I've been using a couple of these for the past 15 or so years. Still perfectly flat. If you need casters you can pop the caps of the banquet table legs and replace them with casters. I have one on casters and one not.

equippaint

ddarlak, did you watch the video? Those casters come off. It is for moving the bench.
And he was asking for information for plans to build a bench.
The plans for that bench is solid all the other ship don't add. And the stuff you do want add.

My bench doesn't have all at stuff on it but I am not a woodworker I am a sign guy I have stuff on it for a sign guy.
LOL, man this is a tough crowd I can see why people don't like helping other people. So where are your plans?
I just said that its a shin buster because we have a work table that is not recessed on the bottom. It sucks. Even look at your cabinets at home, the bottom has a recessed toe kick so you can get right up to it. Why not just use casters with brakes? My criticism isnt aimed at you, its the the typical laziness that comes from the Walmart of hardware stores. They have the brain power and resources to do better than this.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Never mind the tables where can I get a worker like the one in the video?
Seems like someone who gets stuff done.

CanuckSigns

I just said that its a shin buster because we have a work table that is not recessed on the bottom. It sucks. Even look at your cabinets at home, the bottom has a recessed toe kick so you can get right up to it. Why not just use casters with brakes? My criticism isnt aimed at you, its the the typical laziness that comes from the Walmart of hardware stores. They have the brain power and resources to do better than this.

I put the same castors on my 2 tables as what is used in the video, they are expensive but awesome, the problem with standard locking castors is the even when locked, there is some wiggle in the table. With these castors, when the table is stationary the wheels are completely off the ground and the table acta like a normal sturdy table, but you can put the wheels down in seconds and move it around, really is the best of both worlds.

Also, I have yet to bump into or hot them with my shins.

Reveal1

I like Johnny Best's plan. So much so I built basically same thing 8 years ago using 2X6' and those no-split screws used for mounting ledger boards for decks. Guttering on sides, Harbor freight castors. Made mine 5X9 to fit limited shop space. Have two similar smaller tables same height I can butt up for larger surface.

Attachments

• 20180910_095009.jpg
    20180910_095009.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 509

Ultimate13

I put the same castors on my 2 tables as what is used in the video, they are expensive but awesome, the problem with standard locking castors is the even when locked, there is some wiggle in the table. With these castors, when the table is stationary the wheels are completely off the ground and the table acta like a normal sturdy table, but you can put the wheels down in seconds and move it around, really is the best of both worlds.

Also, I have yet to bump into or hot them with my shins.

I realize you already have your table built but for anyone else, when looking at casters, there are "total-locking casters" which stops the wiggle of the table as it locks the spinning feature of the caster as well as the wheel. We found these when building our tables and they work great.