• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Low pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

btropical.com

Hey i like this guy , but i think someday someone well beat him within an inch of his life . Mosh being a buttplug will backfire soon enough , Do what you got to do but keep it quiet .Loose lips get hit in the face with a bat .

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Question, I sell media for digital printing. If you as a potential customer have the choice of buying the same raw banner stock from me or Fellers and Fellers is $ 20.00 per roll less expensive. Who do you buy it from ?

That is because the products are commodities and are presumably identical. The question here is whether or not the signs we make and sell are a commodity or a custom made product. My opinion is that they can be either and that the business model of the OP is his free choice. It may be unnecessarily aggressive towards his competition and the price of reducing or eliminating competition may be more than he realizes ... but still his choice to make.

Those who choose a business model that emphasizes their skill, their quality or their ability to produce better designs so as to provide better client results should not be concerned. Those who choose to market signage in competition with the OP who are unable or unwilling to provide a superior product will have problems and may need to reconsider their business model.

Bigdawg

Just Me
deleted....
Those who choose a business model that emphasizes their skill, their quality or their ability to produce better designs so as to provide better client results should not be concerned. Those who choose to market signage in competition with the OP who are unable or unwilling to provide a superior product will have problems and may need to reconsider their business model.

And that's why Fred's the man... he keeps our attention focused on the real issue which is... are you a price-driven shop or a quality-driven shop?

Steve Werner

Fred, thanks for your clarification and that's what I was seeking to answer by posting my question. I agree. Seems like the point of contention on this whole thing might be a definition of what is commodity based and what isn't.

Joe Diaz

That is because the products are commodities and are presumably identical. The question here is whether or not the signs we make and sell are a commodity or a custom made product. My opinion is that they can be either and that the business model of the OP is his free choice. It may be unnecessarily aggressive towards his competition and the price of reducing or eliminating competition may be more than he realizes ... but still his choice to make.

:goodpost: I agree. The only issue I have is that it makes it increasingly more difficult to convince clients that a sign shop doesn't just produce a product when people in our own industry seem to believe that is all we do. It isn't something I worry too much about though, because I believe there will always be customers out there that are willing to pay a little extra for better service.

Mosh

So Harley is going to sue for ordering a banner from me? So what about printing the logo for a newspaper add? You better let Harley know thier logo is in a newspaper add. Flame on you moron! We don't sell copywritten anything!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, thanks for your clarification and that's what I was seeking to answer by posting my question. I agree. Seems like the point of contention on this whole thing might be a definition of what is commodity based and what isn't.

I agree. And there's a huge gray area in between.

A commodity is anything considered to be identical or to have no significant difference from one source or another.

A 100' x 54" roll of Brand X banner material in a 13 oz. weight is the same at reseller A or B. It is a commodity. Each reseller can differentiate themselves by relationship to the buyer, geography, speed of service, price etc. Add in the same but make it two different brands and a buyer preference may come into play but most buyers will still see it as a commodity.

Now transfer that to the buyer of the roll of banner material. Does he make a better banner? Does he design better or just reproduce the images he is given? Does he install or just hand it to the client? What's his average turnaround time? Does he have a relationship with the client or is he just the proud owner of a printer willing to fill orders and seeking to protect his profit margins from others selling for less?

Flame

So Harley is going to sue for ordering a banner from me? So what about printing the logo for a newspaper add? You better let Harley know thier logo is in a newspaper add. Flame on you moron! We don't sell copywritten anything!

You gotta have permission. :)

Who thinks this is actually just little Alfie sitting in his parents bedroom borrowing their computer? :rock-n-roll:

:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Harley didn't order from you. Their dealer did and Harley does not permit their dealers to reproduce their trademarks without their express permission on every job. If Harley sues you along with the dealer then you may or may not be able to establish a defensible position but you will still be out the time and the expense of an attorney.

mark in tx

So Harley is going to sue for ordering a banner from me

Are you Harley-Davidson authorized? By the corporation, not the dealer?
Did you go through the application paperwork, the submission of products, the wait for approval to sell specific items?

If you didn't, then Harley can and will sue you, the dealers are supposed to buy from authorized merchants.

The newspaper ads come from authorized artwork given to the dealers in their media packets. There are also authorized design companies around the country that do custom advertising for submission to newspapers, yellow pages, billboards, radio, etc...

I've been down this road the legitimate way.

Pat Whatley

Awesome!

The troll's post has gone from pricing, to four-wheelers, Wal-Mart, to fast food, to business cards and now to Harley-Davidson copyrights! This is great!

Why would you bother arguing with the guy? You're not going to change his mind, he's not going to change yours. You might as well be arguing politics. If Mott's business model is working for him (like he says it is) and you model is working for you THEN WHO CARES? Everybody can be happy!

Mosh

This was all a hypathetical question, there is not even a Harley dealer in 100 miles of here. You guys are too easy to get worked up. BTW, you guys don't know as much as you think you do.

Flame

This was all a hypathetical question, there is not even a Harley dealer in 100 miles of here. You guys are too easy to get worked up. BTW, you guys don't know as much as you think you do.

I probably know more. :birthday::birthday::birthday::birthday:

mark in tx

This was all a hypathetical question

Horse shit!

You either felt bad about being a lowballer and tried to justify it, then got your pee pee spanked, or this was just a troll from the start.

I'm betting Mosh is a sock monkey for someone who already got banned here.

Flame

He's like the fat kid on the playground, doesn't matter who you are... ya just can't resist taking a whack at him.

;)

Joe Diaz

You guys are too easy to get worked up.
Soo you ARE trying to get people worked up... Well the nice thing about this forum is that this thread isn't just about you. Whether you intended to or not, a thread that appears to have been started just to get people worked up, will serve as a great learning resource for a lot of people. Some pretty wise and insightful comments have been made here. I personally don't think any of them were yours, but that is my personal opinion. Some one else on here might see things your way. Who knows. My point is, thanks for posting. This thread was an interesting and entertaining read. :thumb:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.