• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Low pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDP

I know you are but what am I ? lol Stop it already. If he likes to sell it that way then let em. Its the business that he feels works for him.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Some of these internet companies sell directly... vistaprint being one of them.

This clown is a printer type sign shop, bang it out, just press print, very similar to gang printers and production wrap shops. If he is making money, more power to him. That's his business. Just don't pass it off as standard signage business practice or make lame comments on other peoples pricing structure... being the lowest price is nothing to brag about... neither is being the highest by the way.

I am amused because many still look for cheaper gang printing pricing here when they are already using bottom feeder type printing and they really are selling them as a premium product because they do not know how to do any other type of printing. They also do not make much money on business cards looking at everyones recent business card pricing structure. As a print designer, I have to deal with shiny 4 color, but it's cheap hack printing and I don't like it.

I am also amused because of the post I did not want to comment on because it was not worth it... this post is probably not worth it either, but I could not help myself this time... :Big Laugh

Billct2

I tried to stay out of it, but what the hell....
unless he's lying he has a business model that works for him, for 20 years.
His web site backs up the fact that he turns out a lot of mediocre work.
He's just getting a rise out of those who have a different business and life ethic.
I for one don't want to live life with the goal of eradicating other peoples businesses and thus their lives.
I just tend to my own garden.
It would be interesting to hear from some of his competitors, either existing ones or former ones.

FatCat

Some of these internet companies sell directly... vistaprint being one of them.

This clown is a printer type sign shop, bang it out, just press print, very similar to gang printers and production wrap shops. If he is making money, more power to him. That's his business. Just don't pass it off as standard signage business practice or make lame comments on other peoples pricing structure... being the lowest price is nothing to brag about... neither is being the highest by the way.

I am amused because many still look for cheaper gang printing pricing here when they are already using bottom feeder type printing and they really are selling them as a premium product because they do not know how to do any other type of printing. They also do not make much money on business cards looking at everyones recent business card pricing structure. As a print designer, I have to deal with shiny 4 color, but it's cheap hack printing and I don't like it.

I am also amused because of the post I did not want to comment on because it was not worth it... this post is probably not worth it either, but I could not help myself this time... :Big Laugh
:U Rock: :clapping::U Rock::clapping:

Rick, for 14 years I did design and prepress for my family's print shop. (Saw the writing on the wall years ago.) I switched to the sign business BECAUSE of the big bottom feeder print shops killing small shops like ours. I felt the sign industry was still a valid industry where skill of the trade was still respected. Sadly, I am seeing the wholesale/big shop/cookie cutter mindset carry over to signs in many ways.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
after those two posts i think we need a stupidest post of the day

Like an award?

We have been due for a post like this for a long time, the other post does not surprise me at all. But you get tricked into thinking the person really reads or respects what you are saying.

At least I know this guy thinks I am full of crap.

Wholesale pricing is for resellers. Retail is for End users.

When you cross the line and merge the two you are not only screwing the pooch for yourself but the entire marketplace.

If we began to sell at wholesale prices to all of our clients. That wholesale pricing would keep getting higher and higher because you need the mix of both markets to support both pricing structures and client bases.

As far as wanting to "destroy the competition" that is a horrible gameplan.
Competition keeps us on our toes and keeps the game honest...

Just my 2 cents....

gnatt66

haha..this reminds me of a few boards i used to visit back in the day (not business related what-so-ever)...

typical troll, just stirring the pot and winding all the regulars up...as long as people take him personally he'll keep posting.

Mosh ain't here for design critique, aint here to pontificate about the trying moments of color correction, he's here to kick up some dust

and it's working.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

He has the dust of ancient civilizations surrounding him and maybe carrying the business sense trod upon by Solomon, Nebuchadnezzar or Genghis Khan !

pigpen-.jpg

SignManiac

Even so this is educational to members of this site who can learn by his example.

I've been in business thirty six years successfully and charging premium prices. Mosh has been in business twenty one years low balling so his theory that his business model can put my business model out of business obviously has flaws.

I too have seen these types of post over the years. Foot in mouth disease is serious if not treated right away. Oh and even trolls need to be fed.

B Snyder

Certainly. A pricing model must account for whatever supplies consumed but it should not be based on merely marking up those supplies. Rather it should merely amortize consumables on an overall average.

A commodity is generally a fungible product. It doesn't matter who produces it, any iteration of the product is functionally interchangeable with any other iteration.

Not so much with handcrafted custom goods. Still, the commodity aspect provides a baseline from which to deviate. There necessarily exists a price point at which a client will opt for the commodity rather than the custom goods. The trick is to know just what point that might be.

Yes.

What are some examples of signs you make that don't fit into your "fixed price" method of pricing?

jmb474

Hmm...same name that liked to argue with people on another site about it being ok to sell copyrighted prints of company logos.

Mosh

NO, the point was people from Harley Davidson Dealership ordered a banner and the meatheads on that site thought I shouldn't be able to print it for them. Cause it was a copywritten logo. Be it was for a Harley dealer.

Flame

NO, the point was people from Harley Davidson Dealership ordered a banner and the meatheads on that site thought I shouldn't be able to print it for them. Cause it was a copywritten logo. Be it was for a Harley dealer.

Aw, it's official. You're not in the sign business.

Making Harley logo's can get you shut down in a heartbeat. Had a buddy stick some harley stickers on a something he built. Please note he bought these from a Harley dealer. Well, he sold this particular lil' something for about the cost of materials a couple years later.... however.......

Harley sued him for $20K in damages. Cuz it wasn't a Harley, despite him never claiming it was.

If you're real, gimme 30 minutes of research and I can send everything + your quote above and have Harley all over your petunia like fruit flies over a steamy pile of rotten pears.

If nothing else this is sheer entertainment. Who else thinks he's actually HELPING us stick to our pricing and maybe up our skills a lil? Nothing like a lil fire to help us burn brighter. ;)

Steve Werner

Question, I sell media for digital printing. If you as a potential customer have the choice of buying the same raw banner stock from me or Fellers and Fellers is $ 20.00 per roll less expensive. Who do you buy it from ?

Status
Not open for further replies.