• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

making new logo

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Five words can fix this logo:

1) Mike
2) Stevens
3) Foreground
4) Middleground
5) Background

JB

James Burke

Yet Another typographical train wreck, this time enhanced by technical and aesthetic malfeasance.

Even Wm. Shakespear couldn't have penned a word picture this vivid. I about fell out of my chair! Absolutely a classic....thanks.

JB

randys graphics

thanks for everyone input on my logo im not here to get defensive just here to learn seem everyone started out some where hope to learn a lot thanks again

Dentafrice

thanks for everyone input on my logo im not here to get defensive just here to learn seem everyone started out some where hope to learn a lot thanks again
It's not about being defensive, this statement you said just acted like "I'm not taking anything anyone said into consideration".

If you're here to learn a lot, take heed of some of our advice.

OldPaint

you keep harping on " you gota start somewhere." this is how you defend your lack of design skills? so you can understand......DAT DOG WONT HUNT." ITS AN EXCUSE...
AnD YES, we all started somewhere. speaking for myself, at 5-6 years old i was able to draw, 10-11 i was introduced to "sign painting." in those days if you didnt know how to draw..........YOU WASNT IN THIS BUSINESS. you can learn, BUT YOU, will need to put in a lot of time and effort, if this is your idea of a "beginning." i have a computer, which i built, i have corel draw, but thats not what makes most of sign/logo designs. it my experience and knowledge i have acquired over 66 years. if you want to do this, fine, but dont keep layin on that tired line, you gota start somewhere.
NOW.........i see a couple people here have suggested MIKE STEVENS. do you a clue as to who that is? having a computer and corel dont make you a "designer."
on my honest opioion of this design, scrap it all. and it not a LOGO.......it is A FONT/TEXT ARRANGMENT.......... no artwork. please dont run out and BUY A PRINTER!!!!!!!!

4R Graphics

Welcome to Signs 101.

Yes we all started somewhere and if you put the time into it you to will be better. My first advice is to get a few books on layout and design. Second I recommend you get some books on the software you are using. Third read lots of posts here on signs 101 there is lots of info so read everything you can here.

As for your grammer some are better than others in the grammer field but you do need to watch it as your customers will expect you to know how to write proper sentences on there signs.

Dont let anyone here run you off most of the people here will give you good info sometimes you need to have thick skin but the info is good.

Good Luck.

Jillbeans

Wholly agree with the above post.
I gave my two cents in your "welcome" thread, not having seen this thing close-up.

Some of us have gone to art school, and most of us have attended the school of hard knocks. While we all do start somewhere, it never hurts to listen to good advice from seasoned professionals.

The Kindle version of Mike Steven's wonderful book is only $9.99. A good investment, even at about $30 for the real book. Start there. I believe it should be given with every software/cutter package. It would save a lot of visual pollution.

If you are designing or even just cutting stick figure stickers for people you still need to know basic layout, grammar, and punctuation. Those are the tools of our trade. And no amount of special effects can tart up a poor layout. Which is essentially what you have.

Learn to study alphabets. Both your scripts are designed by men with an eye for a good font, Steve C and Chuck Borges. Even unwelded they look kind of purty, but technically they should be welded. (that's right there in your Corel under "arrange" I think) Is the descender loop of the "y" in Randys supposed to be the i dot on Graphics? Cutesey tricks like that scream of someone who is new to the field.

Let's move on to colors. Black and red have pretty much the same value, therefore try to avoid outlining black with red. It just muddies everything up. Black is oftentimes way too harsh for use as a drop shadow, but it is to your credit that you did not use yellow as one. Grey is a good choice for a drop shadow unless it is going on a very dark background. Also, your outlines have spikes and are very choppy. The node edit feature in Corel can help with this, after separating your contour from your text.

I could go on and on, even post up a sassy example. But it's really up to you to learn to do it yourself if you are offering your skills to a paying customer.
Love....Jill

Marlene

thanks for everyone input and for the one that said something about art school well way i look at it u got start some where no one said i was design any logos for anyone yet so i would like to know where you got your start at but thanks for your comment and your input

yes we did get our start somewhere. if you really are wanting to learn, spend some time looking over threads where others have posted designs. you can see the process from start to finish. what you posted has some serious issues so it is a good place for you to start. re-do it and re-post it.

James Burke

As for your grammer some are better than others in the grammer field but you do need to watch it as your customers will expect you to know how to write proper sentences on there signs.

Uh oh! DING...all in good fun, though.

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like Jill.... I already gave ya a welcoming in your other thread.

Wanna stat somewhere and can't figure out where to start ??

Why wouldn't you use this kinda reasoning when choosing a dentist, an automobile mechanic or a electrician ?? Oh, you did.... excuse me.

Going with your reasoning, you must figure doing it cheap enough is going to bring you business. So, did your dentist have any training or did you pick him solely on cost ?? The guy working on your motor or brakes in your car... did he ever do it before or did he just say, I got a screw driver and a garage, I'll just set up shop. Can't be too much to this thing. Did your electrician get a license to do the work in your house or is he just winging it and tell you the same thing..... give me a job, I gotta start somewhere.
How does one obtain a credit card when you have to have proven credit in order to get one ??
Guess they never tried the sign industry's method of opening up shop...... :frustrated:

C'mon man, get real, you're gonna experiment and do crazy stupid chit to customer's signs and you haven't a clue as to how to use more than 15% of your software ??

No problems of your being here and trying to learn, but don't insult us with you hadda start somewhere. That's just plain lame. Sportin' that attitude will get you nowhere... r-e-a-l fast. :banghead:
If you really want to learn..... learn correctly or you'll become a 'Hack' in no time flat and then we'll be on ya for a whole heck of a lot more..... :thumb:

Dentafrice

Like Jill.... I already gave ya a welcoming in your other thread.

Wanna stat somewhere and can't figure out where to start ??

Why wouldn't you use this kinda reasoning when choosing a dentist, an automobile mechanic or a electrician ?? Oh, you did.... excuse me.

Going with your reasoning, you must figure doing it cheap enough is going to bring you business. So, did your dentist have any training or did you pick him solely on cost ?? The guy working on your motor or brakes in your car... did he ever do it before or did he just say, I got a screw driver and a garage, I'll just set up shop. Can't be too much to this thing. Did your electrician get a license to do the work in your house or is he just winging it and tell you the same thing..... give me a job, I gotta start somewhere.
How does one obtain a credit card when you have to have proven credit in order to get one ??
Guess they never tried the sign industry's method of opening up shop...... :frustrated:

C'mon man, get real, you're gonna experiment and do crazy stupid chit to customer's signs and you haven't a clue as to how to use more than 15% of your software ??

No problems of your being here and trying to learn, but don't insult us with you hadda start somewhere. That's just plain lame. Sportin' that attitude will get you nowhere... r-e-a-l fast. :banghead:
If you really want to learn..... learn correctly or you'll become a 'Hack' in no time flat and then we'll be on ya for a whole heck of a lot more..... :thumb:
This has been the most legit post I've seen in quite a while. Eat em' up.

toucan_graphics

Randy - you will likely find some harsh words here at signs101 but you will also find no other site where the members are willing to give it to you straight.
When I say "harsh" I mean that sometimes it is tough to hear the truth. I have had my fair share of really poor designs and the folks here care enough about the craft to point out what works and what doesn't. There is no beating around the bush, no sparing feelings and no fluff. There were times that I posted something I thought was great only to have the design, along with my skills, raked over the coals. I didn't like it at all, but once I was able to separate myself from my designs, I improved and the critiques held less sting.
Overall, the bottom line is this.... don't give up, don't get discouraged. There's a ton of resources online for design. Look through them, then practice, refine and keep moving forward. You said yourself "gotta start somewhere" and well..... you've started...... now keep it going and keep it improving.

zmatalucci

Welcome to Signs 101.

Yes we all started somewhere and if you put the time into it you to will be better. My first advice is to get a few books on layout and design. Second I recommend you get some books on the software you are using. Third read lots of posts here on signs 101 there is lots of info so read everything you can here.

Dont let anyone here run you off most of the people here will give you good info sometimes you need to have thick skin but the info is good.

Good Luck.

Spelling & punctuation are equally as important.