• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Meeting with corporate buyers

Stacey K

I like making signs
As most of you know I'm a one person shop. I've been doing some smaller jobs for a local company and they have been very happy with my work and pricing. The owner now would like to meet with me to talk about more ongoing work such as inside signage, roll labels, etc. His assistant told me he will want to know about my company and the products I offer, etc. I have until Wednesday...

My question: In my shop I have many photos of my work but I don't have a binder or anything...is this something I should have...there's still time LOL So much is done online these days I haven't had much need for anything more. Would like to know what others do, thank you!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, point him to your website, tell him he can save himself a trip, but if he wants to come over....... just be you. Generally, owners do not go out to see vendors. They delegate that stuff out. Maybe you have a nice sounding voice and he wants to put a face to it.

Good luck................

Johnny Best

Just have an air of superiority when talking to him and convince him you are the best thing since sliced bread.
Take pics of your work with your IPhone and show him the pics. Be confident in yourself and you will succeed.
Like the story of Giotto, the pope wanted him to send some work to him to show how good of an artist he was. Giotto drew him a circle on a piece of paper for the pope and the pope was so impressed he hired him.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Was his first name, Rick ?? I think he used to belong here........................... He was a master circle maker.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I guess I was thinking too much into it LOL I do have a library on my phone, a website and FB page so I guess I'll steer him there.

I do have to go there because he wants to show me the things I am giving estimates on and it's only 2 blocks away so not much travel involved.

Many years ago I had a portfolio binder but now I just print 8x10 photos and have them on foamboard towers in my shop.

gnubler

I've been debating on this same thing. Last thing I want to do is play show & tell on a tiny phone screen with a customer, the anti-trendy contrarian that I am. I personally think having a nice binder of color prints showing different projects would be better. Gives them something to flip through. I also have a collection of material samples so they can see what ACM is compared to solid metal, PVC, acrylic, etc.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
make sure there are no dirty pictures mixed in when you hand your phone over to him, like that pecker warmer.... just saying
We have only had 3 customers in 12 years that wanted to see our shop before they sent us any work. It was a mess back then too, Im surprised any of them came back.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I'm always kind of surprised more people don't want to come see our shop in person. I've always thought it would be one way you could tell if we are legit and seem to know what we're doing. I like having customers come here because we have lots of samples we can show them.

Aside from that we just have the portfolio page on the website. It seems to work well because we'll have people call and reference one of the pictures as to what kind of sign they want. A lot of times it's hard to get the conversation started on what they want when they have no idea about the different types of signs.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
You've got pictures - make a portfolio. Something like this is sometimes better than a binder https://www.amazon.com/Print-File-Clamshell-Portfolio-11-25x14-25x2/dp/B0010CMXZ2 for a couple of reasons.
You can throw in new prints whenever you feel like it. If you're having a meeting at your office, you've got a large table, and clients can reference this page against that page. If the meeting is at their place, then even if ther isn't a big desk available, you can put it on the floor and flick through the prints.
Lightroom's print module is fantastic for creating layout templates, then exporting jpegs which you chuck at the RIP.

And you already have the approximate cost for each option shown, so you can give a ball park figure

Last edited:

netsol

face to face meeting with the owner sounds like a really good thing.
it couldn't hurt to throw a portfolio together, but, the way you deal with people is more important

you seem to do well with people, it will probably have as much to do with comfort level and seeing the shop as anything else

personally, i would think you would be thrilled to have the owner of a large client wanting to meet you. they will see a fully functional shop, now that you have the new printer in place.

to me, the personal meeting signifies the next level in your relationship with the client, almost always a very good thing. now hopefully, you will be the "go to" for all sorts of work. it always works that way for me

binki

As most of you know I'm a one person shop. I've been doing some smaller jobs for a local company and they have been very happy with my work and pricing. The owner now would like to meet with me to talk about more ongoing work such as inside signage, roll labels, etc. His assistant told me he will want to know about my company and the products I offer, etc. I have until Wednesday...

My question: In my shop I have many photos of my work but I don't have a binder or anything...is this something I should have...there's still time LOL So much is done online these days I haven't had much need for anything more. Would like to know what others do, thank you!
Oh My, you have a Golden Goose in front of you! Since you don't have specifics you can go in and introduce yourself and company. Find out what they want. Create interest. Don't be shy. Since you have a female avitar I am assuming you are female, wear red, a sport coat or dress. It projects power. Go in confident. This is more of a conversation but you need to take that leap of faith at some point. Look bigger than you are. Put on a great show, pratice in the mirror. Excude confidence.

Also, take a look at https://www.b2brevenue.com/

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Oh My, you have a Golden Goose in front of you! Since you don't have specifics you can go in and introduce yourself and company. Find out what they want. Create interest. Don't be shy. Since you have a female avitar I am assuming you are female, wear red, a sport coat or dress. It projects power. Go in confident. This is more of a conversation but you need to take that leap of faith at some point. Look bigger than you are. Put on a great show, pratice in the mirror. Excude confidence.

Also, take a look at https://www.b2brevenue.com/

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I identify as being "cis-middle aged-german-dutch-american-retired-woman" but the social security office does not agree so ... NO CHECK FOR ME!

binki

I identify as being "cis-middle aged-german-dutch-american-retired-woman" but the social security office does not agree so ... NO CHECK FOR ME!
I have no idea of what any of that means. Where red, coat, tie, dress. That is the power color. Just sell it. Confidence is king (or Queen or cis, whatever that means)