• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Meeting with corporate buyers

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Don't give in on pricing. Anytime someone wants us to compete on price we let them know we don't do that. If they bring it up again they become a fired prospect. Similar to a fired customer but one is new meat and the other is dried meat.

Good luck and don't give in. Let others take the unprofitable jobs, you take the profitable ones.
How do you know it's unprofitable? Ive taken plenty of jobs at the customers price point and made damn good money. There will come a time when you wish you didn't fire these "prospects"
Times are good right now but these shitty attitudes are gonna come back to bite a lot of people here.

Stacey K

I like making signs
In this case, I was never told I needed a PO...if they don't tell me, I don't ask since 90% of my customer are PO free.

The school district is very strict about PO's. I learned real quick if I don't get a PO BEFORE the job is delivered then it's extremely difficult to get one...suddenly everyone is too busy to answer their emails LOL

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
In this case, I was never told I needed a PO...if they don't tell me, I don't ask since 90% of my customer are PO free.

The school district is very strict about PO's. I learned real quick if I don't get a PO BEFORE the job is delivered then it's extremely difficult to get one...suddenly everyone is too busy to answer their emails LOL
For the record I wasn't aiming my comment towards you,. The PO gripe comes up here quite a bit. You're ok in my book, boudicas a close second.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
For the record I wasn't aiming my comment towards you,. The PO gripe comes up here quite a bit. You're ok in my book, boudicas a close second.
Agreed. Considering Stacy's got the mojo to be in business for herself. Respect. (Chest pound). I'm a pleaser... Much better employee than a business person.

Johnny Best

I really appreciate at the posts on this, it's very helpful!

I think when I respond back with my estimate I will say something like, "An advantage of working with my small local company is there is one point of contact, I do all all the production and quality checks myself. My flexibility and close proximity to the plant is an advantage for quicker more personal service. I look forward to working with you." - and just leave it like that.

He's trying to scare me into undercutting myself so he can get a good deal. She is just trying to place blame on me instead of her (maybe she got in trouble)...and why on earth does a CEO care about PO numbers - power trip. In my experience women can be difficult to work with...no offense to anyone. If I could have worked with Boudica or Geneva I would never have quit my last job LOL
What about working with gnubler?

gnubler

I wouldn't recommend it, though Stacey and I would probably get along. When is the annual Signs 101 member picnic?

binki

A Purchase Order (PO) is a legal contract to pay a specific amount for a specific product and sometimes in a specific timeframe. A Pro Forma Invoice is the opposite where you guarantee the same. You want PO's because they protect you.

We had a situation a number of years ago where we delivered on a PO and were denied payment. This was from a school district. Once I pointed out we had a PO, they paid. Having said that, we have had many people ask if we take Purchase Orders. Yes we do. A PO is an extension of credit. It requires a guaranteed payment. Make sure you can collect and have a contract as part of that PO that states the terms. It is ok if you let the school district dictate the terms. They will eventually pay.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I wouldn't recommend it, though Stacey and I would probably get along. When is the annual Signs 101 member picnic?
Look out for a flyer from Johhny.
Hey, we'd get along!! I was counting on you to be my pickle ball partner at the picnic!

netsol

Stacey
That was not a criticism of you, at all
Just perspective about your meeting, the fault in yhe past was the employees who never followed through on the. Process

netsol

I really appreciate at the posts on this, it's very helpful!

I think when I respond back with my estimate I will say something like, "An advantage of working with my small local company is there is one point of contact, I do all all the production and quality checks myself. My flexibility and close proximity to the plant is an advantage for quicker more personal service. I look forward to working with you." - and just leave it like that.

He's trying to scare me into undercutting myself so he can get a good deal. She is just trying to place blame on me instead of her (maybe she got in trouble)...and why on earth does a CEO care about PO numbers - power trip. In my experience women can be difficult to work with...no offense to anyone. If I could have worked with Boudica or Geneva I would never have quit my last job LOL
Stacey,
I reallythink you miss the point about PO's from their end

It controls employees who imagine they have purchasing authority that they don't

It guarantees that the employee who has authority controls costs

It allows expenses to be associated with the proper account

Stacey K

I like making signs
Stacey,
I reallythink you miss the point about PO's from their end

It controls employees who imagine they have purchasing authority that they don't

It guarantees that the employee who has authority controls costs

It allows expenses to be associated with the proper account
I know it wasn't a criticism - no worries, I just wanted to clarify that during this meeting it was the first time I heard about them needing PO's. I used to be account manager for a 50+ million budget for advertising budget in my past life, I know all too well about people buying things without a PO...and then tracking them down after they spent $17,000 without a PO...bastards.

I'm totally fine upon receiving any requests that I make sure there's a PO. The only problem I have is that I'm not going to explain to them their own process and who their account manager is, etc. The office over there is about 1,000 square feet so there's really no reason she can't walk to their desk or just stand up and make an announcement telling them she is the account manager and to ask her for a PO. Maybe she just had a bad day.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, s101 has had several mixers. We had one here at our shop in 2009 and then again in 2011 at our shop. Had a great time. We had games, contests and lotsa prizes. Vendors were here showing off cnc's, flatbeds and other neat toys. Had some great demonstrations and most of all, lots to eat. The first one started Thursday and went til Sunday afternoon. The second one started again on Thursday and went til Sunday afternoon. They had one on the pacific coast and another one in altoona, PA. We Pennsy people know how to par-tay.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
No one wants to travel anymore... so maybe someone can reach out to Robert Dingdong and get him to host a zoom party.. just remind him to keep his pants on while he watches everyone play cornhole and pickle ball.