• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Meeting with corporate buyers

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yea, and charge for that nightmare. I don't mind a difficult customer if they are paying me well.

I completely agree. And that's why I would be concerned about this. If he stated right off the bat that they're looking for the lowest bid, there goes your ability to upcharge for the frustrations and annoyances you're about to get into. I don't get the impression that he values you or what you do, in the least. I've learned to trust my gut with people like that. If it were me, I would do the opposite of giving them my lowest price - I would give them my highest....in which case they'll probably walk because they're looking to basically take as much from you for as little as possible.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You can't pay me enough to deal with a difficult person. I'll let it slide once and chock it up to it being the first time but after that, no more. Most of those types know what they are. After time passes, sometimes they come back with a better attitude and acknowledge they were difficult and won't be again. Some others don't and either way is fine by me. I'd rather they move a long.

Notarealsignguy

I have a customer that started out exactly like this. If you were in Florida, I'd almost think we were bidding the same job. After we got the first job done it was fine but the initial dog and pony show told me to walk. They still bicker about price but we must have passed their little test because they're super easy to deal with now. Sometimes you never know.

In your beginning post you mentioned this is an existing repeat customer. Why do you need to prove yourself now suddenly? Doesn't your past record hold any water? You might want to ask them what are their intentions, because payment has been on time and scheduling hasn't been a problem thus far. What is this guy anticipating coming up that he needs to have you on the carpet and he just barks out orders and policy. Business is a two-way street. You might want to ask for his answers.

Notarealsignguy

I completely agree. And that's why I would be concerned about this. If he stated right off the bat that they're looking for the lowest bid, there goes your ability to upcharge for the frustrations and annoyances you're about to get into. I don't get the impression that he values you or what you do, in the least. I've learned to trust my gut with people like that. If it were me, I would do the opposite of giving them my lowest price - I would give them my highest....in which case they'll probably walk because they're looking to basically take as much from you for as little as possible.
That's some people's way of negotiating, it's like a tick, they can't help themselves. Usually they don't check, they think their words hit home and they got a good price. If the guy is busy and going through all of this with you, then he's not going to jump around because he will feel the need to repeat this process with everyone. I have a feeling that after the first job, things will work out fine. If it was a one off customer then I would let them go down the road. If this doesnt work out, do it until it's convenient for you to quit doing their work.

Johnny Best

So Moze and JBurton in another post both said they do not do sales, one just does installs for sign companies that sell the work and the other works in a family firm with management and sales people. So after reading their comments I think taking their advice on how to handle sales should be taken with a grain of salt. You, Stacey, have to be the person to follow your gut on what to do.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I really appreciate at the posts on this, it's very helpful!

I think when I respond back with my estimate I will say something like, "An advantage of working with my small local company is there is one point of contact, I do all all the production and quality checks myself. My flexibility and close proximity to the plant is an advantage for quicker more personal service. I look forward to working with you." - and just leave it like that.

He's trying to scare me into undercutting myself so he can get a good deal. She is just trying to place blame on me instead of her (maybe she got in trouble)...and why on earth does a CEO care about PO numbers - power trip. In my experience women can be difficult to work with...no offense to anyone. If I could have worked with Boudica or Geneva I would never have quit my last job LOL

Notarealsignguy

I really appreciate at the posts on this, it's very helpful!

I think when I respond back with my estimate I will say something like, "An advantage of working with my small local company is there is one point of contact, I do all all the production and quality checks myself. My flexibility and close proximity to the plant is an advantage for quicker more personal service. I look forward to working with you." - and just leave it like that.

He's trying to scare me into undercutting myself so he can get a good deal. She is just trying to place blame on me instead of her (maybe she got in trouble)...and why on earth does a CEO care about PO numbers - power trip. In my experience women can be difficult to work with...no offense to anyone. If I could have worked with Boudica or Geneva I would never have quit my last job LOL
I agree, women are a pain in the ass. I work with my wife.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If ya can fit into this, you won't be a pain..... anywhere, huh ??
lil pecker warmer.jpg

Notarealsignguy

Haha, me too. Sits 10ft away from me.
does she verbalize every random thought that pops into her head while you are trying to work too? Mine is in the room next to me, if she was 10' away, I'd have have to keep a stick handy to smack her without getting up

netsol

You are right, I felt the same way but I wanted to see what others said before I voiced my opinion.

The office lady also scolded me for not getting a PO from the last couple orders (nobody ever told me they needed a PO over the last year and around 10 jobs) then she tattled and made a big deal out of it to Frenchie. She told me I needed to tell the order guys to call her specifically because she is their buyer. I said, "I'm happy to request a PO before I move forward but I'm not telling them who to call, that's on your end."

The whole thing was a bit of a turn off but it would still be a nice job so I'll move forward with the estimate etc. My BF works there so I know it's very unorganized and they've had many people retire the last couple years. New management growing pains and they are trying to get union workers of 30 years to change and get organized, get lean to attract new hires. I can see they have a challenge ahead.
You are right, I felt the same way but I wanted to see what others said before I voiced my opinion.

The office lady also scolded me for not getting a PO from the last couple orders (nobody ever told me they needed a PO over the last year and around 10 jobs) then she tattled and made a big deal out of it to Frenchie. She told me I needed to tell the order guys to call her specifically because she is their buyer. I said, "I'm happy to request a PO before I move forward but I'm not telling them who to call, that's on your end."

The whole thing was a bit of a turn off but it would still be a nice job so I'll move forward with the estimate etc. My BF works there so I know it's very unorganized and they've had many people retire the last couple years. New management growing pains and they are trying to get union workers of 30 years to change and get organized, get lean to attract new hires. I can see they have a challenge ahead.
So, what is this crowd expecting, a customer who is going to hold out for the HIGHEST price?
It sounds like you could well be picking up a good, large account

You seem sensible enough to be able to deal with a slightly difficult account

I have 3 of those, and would much rather deal with their quirks (god knows there are some) & large bolume, than have to deal with 100 walk-ins, each one giving me a $28 banner

Notarealsignguy

So, what is this crowd expecting, a customer who is going to hold out for the HIGHEST price?
It sounds like you could well be picking up a good, large account

You seem sensible enough to be able to deal with a slightly difficult account

I have 3 of those, and would much rather deal with their quirks (god knows there are some) & large bolume, than have to deal with 100 walk-ins, each one giving me a $28 banner
You know, if you raised your price to $56 then you'd only have to deal with 50 walk-ins.

netsol

This makes no sense to me. I'd tell them I'll email the short list of perpetrators direct to her if she'd like, but they're your employees, not mine, you reign them in. Then drop some of those big truck testicles on her desk and walk out, mic drop style.
Jburton

There is NOTHING wrong with a client telling you their routine, which involves getting a PO if you expect to be paid. Lots of employees IMAGINE they have more purchading authority than they do. PO's are a necessary part of doing business

For many years we were a johnson & johnson vendor. the rule is NOTHING IS A FIRM ORDER WITHOUT A PO

i guess my experience is vastly different than many of you

when stacy was read in on the PO requirement, AFTER HAVING SUBMITTED 10 ORDERS WITHOUT PO & having been paid, in spite of this, my first thought is, this is good, they intend to use her company & are showing her te ropes.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

Customers who are focused on LOWEST price are not my cup of tea... especially when there are PLEANTY out there that are not worried about price. They might be more concerned about quality, customer service and turn-around time. I'd rather work hard in those areas than try to figure out how to make money on a cheap ass customer.

binki

Update...it went pretty good. They made it very clear that they are going with the lowest bid, but they would like to keep it local lol...
Don't give in on pricing. Anytime someone wants us to compete on price we let them know we don't do that. If they bring it up again they become a fired prospect. Similar to a fired customer but one is new meat and the other is dried meat.

Good luck and don't give in. Let others take the unprofitable jobs, you take the profitable ones.

Notarealsignguy

I think some people miss the purpose of a PO from a large company. It is how they manage cash flow and more or less, balance their check book. They don't like when us peons go against the grain of a system they setup in order to properly manage their business. Some are more flexible than others but some are sticklers and you need to respect that this is their policy.
As far as price, Don't get caught up in the words. It's someone saying don't screw me and judging by this place, there are plenty here that would jump all over it if given the opportunity. I'm not a cheap ass but price IS important and I make that known. It's not to squeeze them, it's so the sales rep and I don't waste each other's time. There are too many shysters out there that will take advantage of you. As the guy purchasing, you can take the long road or just cut to the chase. It doesn't mean they want the cheapest, its just asking if we're playing in the same ballpark.