• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Melting Rubber Roller on Gerber HS15 plus

klmiller611

Forgive me if I don't describe this correctly. It appears that sometime over the past week or so, that my boss came in and did not like the way the small rubber roller that clamps the sprockets down looked, and cleaned it with denatured alcohol. This cutter is used a couple of times a month, at most. Now the roller is sticky and gooey.

Any suggestions of how to solve this messy issue?

Thanks in advance

Ken Miller

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The roller is disintegrating. You will need to replace yourself or send it out for repairs. You will need a new/used roller installed, soon. It will gradually get worse, until it might start to drip. Ask me how I know ??

Marlene

I think you are are talking about the roller and not the bail arms that hold down the material. by sticky do you mean just that? rubber is still firm and not falling apart, just sticky? sounds like he applied an agressive chemical that has reacted theway you would expect it to. if it isn't falling apart and still is firm, not mushy you might be able to stop the reaction with a simple cleaner, nothing strong to see if that helps.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I hear on this roller only you can replace it with a piece of appropriately sized tubing. However, I have never tried this myself.

klmiller611

The roller seems to be solid, but some pieces have flaked off. I tried cleaning with simple green, no luck with that.

The idea of replacing it with some tubing is an interesting idea.

I'll report back.

Thanks
Ken

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Think about it..... if you don't replace it with something made exactly the same size, your knife will not travel the same and your cutting will be way off. Also, without the correct amount of sponginess to it, the knife, pounce wheel or pen tool will never cut properly without the correct amount of opposing pressure.

Gerber's are built like a Sherman Tank, but if you go cheap fixing it, you're bound to just have a paperweight on your hands.

Marlene

The roller seems to be solid, but some pieces have flaked off. I tried cleaning with simple green, no luck with that.

I'll report back.

Thanks
Ken

that is a really bad idea. call Gerber get the part number then call your Gerber dealer and buy the part.

klmiller611

Indeed, will have to get a part number and find one. It is the bail with the curved pieces that clamp down over the vinyl. Not the main roller.

This is a hopeless situation.

Naturally, have something that has to go out today! Isn't that always the case?

Best
Ken

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

I'll report back.

Thanks
Ken

That's a really bad idea. Try contacting The Plotter Doctor. They have remanufactured drums and will provide support for you to get it installed correctly.

klmiller611

That's a really bad idea. Try contacting The Plotter Doctor. They have remanufactured drums and will provide support for you to get it installed correctly.

Thanks Fred, I did contact him via email. He was quite responsive. This indeed is the rubber roller on the bail, not the main drum. So, he suggested replacing it with gasoline tubing, so that is the plan for the afternoon.

I see no reason that should not work, this is not critical to pressure, it mainly is to hold the guides over the sprockets.

Best
Ken

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks Fred, I did contact him via email. He was quite responsive. This indeed is the rubber roller on the bail, not the main drum. So, he suggested replacing it with gasoline tubing, so that is the plan for the afternoon.

I see no reason that should not work, this is not critical to pressure, it mainly is to hold the guides over the sprockets.

Best
Ken

You're correct. It isn't a critical fit.

GoodPeopleFlags

Mine did that and for a quick fix, I wrapped clear packing tape around it. Pulled off a strip about the length of it, layed the bar on the sticky side of the tape and rolled it up.

Jase

Those rollers are quite cheap. Here in the UK they are about £50. One of mine has gone a bit sticky and we just apply a bit of talcolm (Johnsons Baby powder) powder onto it. Still working a treat a couple of years after doing this. I should replace it though.

klmiller611

Just a follow up on my post. The suggestion of gasoline line was spot on. 1/4 inch gas line, 24 inches, $6.00 US. Worked like an absolute charm.

Interesting, I also considered the talcum powder as well, but this was cheaper and actually quicker!

Best
Ken

Jillbeans

When my roller got sticky on the old 4E, I cut a piece of etched glass vinyl (because it has somewhat of a "tooth") to fit it and carefully applied it. Fixed it right up.
Love....Jill

Dennis Schaub

Part Number

Can someone tell me the part number for the "bail arm" and the main roller? I would like to replace both and can't find the right part number. Anyone have experience replacing the main roller? I sent it to the plotter doctor last time and they did a good job, I just don't want to be without my plotter for a couple weeks again.

Thank You!
Dennis

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Can someone tell me the part number for the "bail arm" and the main roller? I would like to replace both and can't find the right part number. Anyone have experience replacing the main roller? I sent it to the plotter doctor last time and they did a good job, I just don't want to be without my plotter for a couple weeks again.

Thank You!
Dennis

Check with the Plotter Doctor for replacement drums.

Here's a link to my step by step drum replacement. The Plotter Doctor may have one as well.

No idea on the Gerber part number for the bail arm.

stitchup

I had the same issue and solved it with a length of electrical heat-shrink.

Thread the roller into the heat-shrink tubing, apply some heat and job done. Works a treat and very cheap :)

RG

I had the same issue and solved it with a length of electrical heat-shrink.

Thread the roller into the heat-shrink tubing, apply some heat and job done. Works a treat and very cheap :)

I did the same thing a couple of years ago. Worked great! I have also replaced the rubber on the main roller with a piece of cold-shrink 3M rubber tubing. The hard part of replacing the rubber on the roller is you have to true-up the new rubber with a lathe or with a grinding system (like I used) in order to get it to the right thickness. But, it is doable.