• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting 4x8 to block wall

AwardImage

Substrate is ACRYLITE FF... because that's what I have.
Attachment surface is concrete block wall facing ESE in west TN where it's 70 degrees in the morning and 5,000degrees (so to speak) in the afternoon right now.

I plan to attach it with a hammerdrill prepped holes and concrete screws + small washers.

What are the pitfalls to making 4 holes in a building wall?
Is there a chemical (glue/adhesive) alternative?

Thank you, in advance. Have a great Memorial Day weekend, because I will be working Monday too :)

jkdbjj

Construction grade silicon or perhaps some type of Loctite. We use it plenty on brick when we are not allowed to drill.

GVP

Acrylic direct to the wall? Have you considered expansion & contraction? I think acrylic should always float in a frame of some sort - esp. 4x8

Billct2

Bolting acrylic to a exterior wall, not a good idea.
It should be in a frame to allow for expansion.
Just because it's what you have doesn't mean it's what you should use.

nwsigns

If you have to use it and cant frame it, make oversized holes in the acylic and then washers on top and dont tighten all the way - hardly the right way to go but if you have to this will keep it from binding up WHEN it expands in the sun.

Use another material through, this will not last.

weaselboogie

Why not standoffs? If it were me, I'd request to double up on your allowed holes in the wall. If you need to make some holes, make sure they look nice. I just finished something similar and we used 3/4" standoffs with a hole in the acrylic twice the size. thought this would be enough for expansion. the blue concrete screws are rated at 200lbs per hole, plenty enough to hold.

This is mid install. The board is to hold it in place. The standoffs are so far on the top only.

Attachments

• buck.jpg
    buck.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 96

OldPaint

Am I alone in thinking that is very bad advice?

NO!!!!! BUT............IF, the owner of the building doesnt want holes in the brick/block, and how long is this sign going to be up there? short term it will work, couple years, the motar once you drill a hole, attracts moisture, thus making the motar soft. holes in the motar are more easily patched.

Stuckup

Polyurethane adhesive, acrylic manufacturers usually have recommended adhesives. I generally use a few together, 1 to get instant adhesion (double sided tape), 1 that sets fairly quickly, and the polyurethane that does not give way ever but takes time to set. They hold stretch panels on Buses with PolyU, very strong and flexible when its set.

AwardImage

OK. You talked me out of the opaque Acylite sheets that I won in auction.

Notable objections
-swelling/contraction
-photo degradation (crap durability)

What should I do with the Acrilyte (opaque white) sheets?

Pat Whatley

Please don't silicone the sign to the brick. We did that for years and now but now I just cringe when I see where a sign has been removed and there are giant blobs of virtually impossible to remove silicone all over the place.

Use the right substrate, screw it into the wall with concrete anchors. Eight little holes are a heck of a lot less obtrusive than the remnants of a couple of tubes of silicone.

Craig Sjoquist

Wow so many points of view.

To me it's use what you have and available.

A Frame is better but not required.

Bolting to wall is way better then silicon or glue of many sorts. Use 6 expansion type of any sort, much depends on wall and equipment you have or can rent.

AwardImage

Elite board from Tublite $39.00 a sheet. Just like Alumilite.
:thankyou:
I'm virtually equidistant from Memphis and Nashville(tubelite one direction, grimco, api in the other), but Tubelite will deliver for CHEAP, since I am 500yds away from a $20M sign fabricator :)

I was leaning towards max-metal, but I've never personally used anything like that. I sold a sign with my art that was on max-metal, but I just sent the file off, picked up the finished product and delivered it. I'll make another post about custom shapes for a different job (working with aluminum composites).

Anyway, the job that I was referring to, would love to have an 8x16, and with substrate costs under $150, I can do something spectacular within his budget.

Thanks to all, but especially to the guy with the silicone blobs. LMAO! the biggest signs that I have done in the past were laminates over other signs... I used formica :) Signs were a byproduct of my profession then.
FWIW, the oldest one is still going strong after 6 years.