• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mounting aluminum sign to glass door

Billct2

Suction cups? Is it temporary? I would use mounting tape and silicone and apply something to the back of the glass to hide the mess, either a matching piece or vinyl.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They used to make glass screws. The only problem was, they were very sharp on the other side, if they stuck out too far.

Yes, if this is more than a two day sign, you are using the wrong substrate. However, you could use a screw at the top of the door and dangle decorative chain and let it hang the way they put hours signs, back in 20 minute signs and such in windows. It all depends on the kinda tackiness you wanna create.

Billct2

Doesn't say it's acm. I have done some signs over the years with aluminum or other metal mounted to glass. Usually for a high end look.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
We install custom aluminum and acrylic signs on glass windows and sidelights all the time. Install a piece of cast black vinyl the exact shape of the sign to the window first then apply the sign to the vinyl with normal two sided foam tape and a little bit of silicone adhesive. That way you don't have anything on the other side of the window.

MikePro

+1 VHB Tape & silicone, with backer vinyl/painted alum/acrylic on reverse-side of the glass to "hide the mess". some people just use standard black/white vinyl, but I prefer to use the matching color of the sign....painted vinyl if need-be. We inline the backer by about 1/8", as to not see it sticking out past the sign perimeter when viewing from the front & at an angle.

keep the VHB tape to the perimeter, let the silicone fill the middle. this way, when it comes to removal, you'll/they'll only have to get a blade/scraper around the edges of the panel, and then twist the sign panel off the glass to sever the silicone adhesive.

Evan Gillette

I like the idea of applying black vinyl and sticking to that, I usually just use the clear hi bond tape, usually orafol uhb 3M vhb or similar, it holds well and comes off way better than foam tape.