• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My first submission.

razzildazzil

Be gentle, but honest. This is my first submission for your critique. The logo is was created by them but the rest is my design. :thankyou:

Attachments

• Alderbrook.jpg
    Alderbrook.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 88

TwoNine

Are they cards or a banner? How far are you viewing it from, and for how long, is the real question I guess.....

Tigertron

Nope nothing bad. Looks good. personally I would have tried to avoid the inverted pyramid but that's my personal taste.

razzildazzil

It's a 4x8 banner, or rather 5 of them. Viewed from about 100 feet on a two-lane city street from now until Mother's day weekend.

Thanks for the responses thus far. I wanted to do part of the info in a reverse but it cluttered up the banner to much.

Locals Find!

background is kinda light for a banner being viewed from that distance.

I would probably lose the background and less text for a banner. For a postcard though that would be a good design. Just my 2 cents.

TwoNine

Nice, but a little unreadable IMO - I'd take some of Bill's ideas and maybe implement them next time. (Minus the Brush Script - LOL)

I do like your font and color choices. Just a bit wordy IMO - I'd have tried to help the customer see that more isn't always better, and would have 'suggested' a copy change via no designs with all the messy details. But sometimes you have no control over that - I understand.

My 0.02! (In today's market that is equal to about 1 1/2 pesos!)

-Chad

razzildazzil

I wasn't able to control the copy for the signs... I'm the newest addition to the small shop I work for and the last designer let them get away with all this junk every time they placed an order so I'm stuck with it.

Thanks for the feedback and props! :cool:

Circleville Signs

4'x8' banner viewed from 100+ feet need much better prioritized copy, and to lose quite a bit of what is on there.

That being said, sounds like you did the best you could with what you had to work with.

SignManiac

I'll be nice and not hurt your feelings, unfortunate you have no control over this situation.
It needs serious reworking. All I see is letters stuck on a background, that's not what I consider sign design.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
shouldn't it say "By Reservation Only" or "Reservation Required visit Website"?

Also I would check the URL and if it works without the www prefix I would drop it to clean up and make it more immediately readable. If it doesn't work without the www. that should be fixed by their ISP or Hosting provider.

just my $.02

Bill hit the nail right on the head. "Mother's Day Brunch" is easily readable and the eyes are immediately drawn to it on his layout. You left a lot of dead space in your layout and I really don't get what's going on with the inverted triangle. You can prioritize copy and still manage to work it all into a pleasing layout. And as was said already, you really didn't design anything. You took a purple box with some filigree and typed some words over it. You can definitely do a lot more with this.

Marlene

it's like reading an eye chart where everything kind of tapers off until you can't read another line of letters.

the balance is way off with it being heavy on top and then smaller and smaller. take a look at how Bill broke out the copy and balanced the layout and give it a try.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You want gentle ??

Okay. It looks good and make sure you get paid well for the 5 banners.

When you find a customer whom will give you free reign to design properly, then ask for help, otherwise..... why are we critiquing a sign where your hands are tied to a mess ??

razzildazzil

Final

Talked the customer into removing some junk. Used the reverse suggestion.

Like it? :help

Attachments

• Alderbrook Park.pdf
    126.5 KB · Views: 91

Ken

Alderbrook park should be main copy as well as Mothers Day Brunch
So I would either make Alderbrook bigger ( same size as Mother) at the top or bottom. The open hours should be larger also.
Ken