• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help with Dry Erase Project

Locals Find!

I need to make a signicade for a mortgage broker client that he can change the interest rates on daily. We want to print the logo and other information and just be able to write on the rate of the day. He ruled out using track letters.

Example: Prime Rate _5.5_%

I looked at using the r-tape ez dry erase vinyl but, its not rated for outdoor use. Can someone suggest an alternative laminate or vinyl that would allow me to accomplish this?

Locals Find!

the main concern is not being able to clean it off at the end of the day and be able to use it the next day. I dont' want to sell him something and he writes on it and it sits out all day then he can't clean it off and its stuck on there with the wrong interest rate.

Carl Crabtree

I just finished 20 3'x4' dry erase boards for a mfg company. We ordered SS dry erase laminate from Proveer. It's thin ( only 1 mil ) but it seems to work great. They have it in 38 & 51" rolls. I'm not sure if it's rated for outdoors.

Locals Find!

My thoughts exactly. How often do you see dry erase signs exposed to outdoor conditions? Rain + dry erase = goodbye message

Not so much worried about rain as we are worried about sun permanently baking on the marker ink onto the vinyl/laminate after its been out on the sidewalk 8 hours.

Si Allen

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a sheet of white shower wall panel and cut to size.
It is a 1/8 inch thick masonite panel with a melamine finish.

Paint, silk screen or vinyl on the permanent letters.

J Hill Designs

melamine doesnt work so well as dry erase in my opinion and experience

hexis dry erase vinyl (white) or hexis dry erase laminate (clear) both work excellently

:thumb:

d fleming

Print the image then print a styrene square that is dry erase laminated and can be held in place with velcro or some such thing. That way when the dry erase portion dies you're not replacing the whole print. Give him 5 or 6 dry erase pieces to start.

Circleville Signs

Print the image then print a styrene square that is dry erase laminated and can be held in place with velcro or some such thing. That way when the dry erase portion dies you're not replacing the whole print. Give him 5 or 6 dry erase pieces to start.

This. If your client is too cheap to do it the right way, at least try to get him to do it the convenient way.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Get a small LED board and do it right. You might not wanna skimp, but your customer sure is.

If he doesn't go for that, sell 'em electrical tape and use that, instead.

Locals Find!

Thank you all for the help and advice. I am going to look over all these options and test some this weekend. See which works out to be the most cost effective option without sacrificing quality.

I will post back with what we decide on when its finished.

Edit: Which would be better to plan out this custom sign with a Mac PC or a Windows PC??
(Sorry Just couldn't resist going there)

Last edited: