• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Logo Design Help

OldPaint

2ctmedia................HONEST QUESTION!
why are you in this business?
how much training or education do you have in art, design or business?
who told you, that you have design skills? you parents or family?
CAN YOU DRAW? even stick figures?
what do you know about TEXT, is structure, placement, usage?
also what do you know about color?
has anyone told you you lack "imagination?" each design is similar to the other, NO IMAGINATION.......of things not yet created.
my take on your proposed so called logo, screams lack of all the above.
i dont understand why some people are in this field of endeavor.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm in this business because I enjoy the creative, I have a sense of satisfaction when I have a completed project and can say "I Did That".

I have no formal training and no one told me I can draw. I just doodle and love computers, I have a passion for knowledge and I like to be creative in my own way.

I honestly know nothing about text or how to properly use it, and in all honesty all I've ever wanted to do was run my business alongside talented people. I can run equipment, tear them apart, maintain them, etc... I'm just trying to build upon something that I'm finding passion in.

The truth is I am lacking imagination for this logo simply because I don't know where to get inspiration for it.

I have one question for many of you "Old Timers" on here: If you hate all of us young people who lack "Talent" and "Imagination", why don't you teach us? If you don't want to teach us, consider yourself a dying art and don't get yourself in a thistle when you see the uninspired and talent-less taking over your industry.

I've lurked on this forum and many others just trying to learn from whatever guarded tid-bits you all try to share, I don't interact a lot simply because its easy for most to bash rather than teach. I'm sorry if the world has gone digital and the old ways are dying out, there are a few of us who want to learn and remember. I would love to spend and hour with any of you to learn whatever I could as I always want to learn something new.

I may be talentless in the creative and so be it, I'm not selling my design skills. I sell a product designed by designers for clients looking for the best product available to them. I strive to excel at production end of our business. The only reason I'm even attempting this logo is simply that I don't like to reap what I don't sow, and having someone else coming up with the logo for my company seems like a field I didn't plant.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I've attached another concept for everyone to bash. I've gotten help from someone named Martin who sent me some inspiration and shown me some fonts to try.

I only did this on a whim because I left a "mark" on some Chrome vinyl I was layering... So I made another and scanned it.

We always try to help our clients leave their mark so this is my very P.I. logo concept.

Attachments

• FingerPrint Concept.jpg
    FingerPrint Concept.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 98

Jillbeans

It's better than your other attempts but do you really want to imply that you leave fingerprints on your products?

I'm an old timer and I try to give advice when I can but it tends to fall on deaf ears.
I would suggest that you learn about type from various books like most in the picture I'm posting (also my FB biz cover page pic) We are taught rules for a reason. Yes it can be fun to think outside the box, but with the guidelines of good balance and basic layout skills.

As has been said, the general public is not familiar with CMYK colors and such. Your name is vague. When most people read the word MEDIA they think of TV news shows, I think. I feel that you need some sort of tagline which says what you do.

Of your initial attempts, the 2nd from the top right worked the best for me but is still very generic looking. I'd suggest taking the top portion of your latest attempt but using a scratchy all lower case script for MEDIA to make it less tecchy and more people-friendly.
Love....Jill
PS
I tend to agree with bob, his critiques are harsh but if we put on our big girl panties and just listen to his advice, it's usually pretty solid.

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 110

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'd suggest taking the top portion of your latest attempt but using a scratchy all lower case script for MEDIA to make it less tecchy and more people-friendly.

What do you mean by scratchy? Like handwritten or something that is fluid like most pen strokes?

Attachments

• Scratchy.jpg
    Scratchy.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 121

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I've attached another concept for everyone to bash. I've gotten help from someone named Martin who sent me some inspiration and shown me some fonts to try.

I only did this on a whim because I left a "mark" on some Chrome vinyl I was layering... So I made another and scanned it.

We always try to help our clients leave their mark so this is my very P.I. logo concept.

Now that might have some possibilities.

You might continue by playing around with some different type faces. Your choices in this area to date are strictly high school newsletter quality. Play around with some specimen type faces.

Perhaps for a bit of intrigue you might obtain a fingerprint of some notable or another. Maybe a famous name from history, a personal hero, or a serial killer or something. No one will know but you will. Then should someone remark about your logo you can say that it's Charles Manson's or Abe Lincoln's or whomever. A sure fire conversation starter.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Now that might have some possibilities.

You might continue by playing around with some different type faces. Your choices in this area to date are strictly high school newsletter quality. Play around with some specimen type faces.

Perhaps for a bit of intrigue you might obtain a fingerprint of some notable or another. Maybe a famous name from history, a personal hero, or a serial killer or something. No one will know but you will. Then should someone remark about your logo you can say that it's Charles Manson's or Abe Lincoln's or whomever. A sure fire conversation starter.

Thank you... I'm trying to show that I'm not looking for adulation, only help and inspiration! Where do you recommend me looking at font options? I currently use fonts.com, myfonts.com, and fontsquirrel.com.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Ok just ordered the mastering layout book, and amazon had a great deal on Dan Antonelli's Books so I threw them in the cart also... Thanks for the Lead!

Christian @ 2CT Media

I guess until I get those books I'm kind of stuck, so I'm playing off of what Jill and Bob have both said...

I added a Tagline to inspire, found/vectorized a fingerprint of an idol, and have played with a few fonts that are scratchy and one is a Retro-like Typeface.

I'm keeping everything black and white as was recommended, because "If it looks bad in black and white, it looks worse in color!".

Attachments

• FingerPrint Retro Concept.jpg
    FingerPrint Retro Concept.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 91

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Ok it went from a fingerprint to... What is that? You took a step forward and 2 steps back I am afraid.

OldPaint

I'm in this business because I enjoy the creative, I have a sense of satisfaction when I have a completed project and can say "I Did That".BUT THIS TAKES IMAGINATION, and knowledge of design and text. so wht you may deem, a complete project, and passes your idea of good work, may not be so in the eyes of others.

I have no formal training and no one told me I can draw. I just doodle and love computers, I have a passion for knowledge and I like to be creative in my own way. so you jump into a business to make money , ILL-PREPARED??? this is creative?

I honestly know nothing about text or how to properly use it, and in all honesty all I've ever wanted to do was run my business alongside talented people. I can run equipment, tear them apart, maintain them, etc... I'm just trying to build upon something that I'm finding passion in.because your good at that, means that this will be easy to?

The truth is I am lacking imagination for this logo simply because I don't know where to get inspiration for it.but you throw something up there, and expect positive replies?? do your home work, learn about what your trying to do

I have one question for many of you "Old Timers" on here: If you hate all of us young people who lack "Talent" and "Imagination", why don't you teach us? If you don't want to teach us, consider yourself a dying art and don't get yourself in a thistle when you see the uninspired and talent-less taking over your industry.WHY waste our time, when its not US, that are keeping you from learning how to do this line of work, BUT YOUR EGO, is telling you that you are talented. as far as people like you taking over the industry, your a little late, its done been happening for a long time. you want to learn from us? PICK UP A BRUSH, hell even water colors will work. pick up a PENCIL, DRAW SOMETHING, without having a computer do it for you. THINK, let your mind work, rather then a processor on a motherboard do it for you. why we dont TEACH YOU??? most of you think you know it all already and are wasting time listening to us old farts "with talent" that is why we got into this business, cause people like YOU couldnt do what we do. but the computer makes all of you ARTISTS now..........so you believe. we dont hate you, more like we hate what talentless, not wanting to learn how to do this right PEOPLE have done to a form of art, that we OLD FARTS, respected and strived to be good at.

I've lurked on this forum and many others just trying to learn from whatever guarded tid-bits you all try to share, I don't interact a lot simply because its easy for most to bash rather than teach. I'm sorry if the world has gone digital and the old ways are dying out, there are a few of us who want to learn and remember. I would love to spend and hour with any of you to learn whatever I could as I always want to learn something new.

I may be talentless in the creative and so be it, I'm not selling my design skills. I sell a product designed by designers for clients looking for the best product available to them. I strive to excel at production end of our business. The only reason I'm even attempting this logo is simply that I don't like to reap what I don't sow, and having someone else coming up with the logo for my company seems like a field I didn't plant.
this makes no sense. and you answered the above paragraph, why we dont want to teach you..........SO BE IT.....you want to remain talentless.

Jillbeans

One rule is to never use two different scripts in the same layout.
And your tagline looks disconnected, like it's just hanging there.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Old Paint, don't know what I did to offend you... but I wasn't on here looking for praises, I have no ego, and I never got into this business touting to be an artist. To be honest, Printing leaves nothing to creativity... Its either Wrong or Right, Black or White.

I'm sorry if you feel those things about me and I can't change your perception of me... but I don't spend my days designing; I spend them preparing artwork from artists, printing, and installing them. I'm trying to gain perspective on what goes in to this and the fact that I want to labor for my own company.

So tell me where I've said I was an artist or graphic designer? I have not.