• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need to MAKE rust!!

Signsforwhile

I'm trying to propose an option to a customer who is looking for a push through or back up face on a cabinet. Originally wanted black or brown but then we started tossing around the idea of a rusty look. I'm familiar on how to force steel to rust but would like to know if there is an easy process to paint a rust look onto aluminum? I know rustoleum has those patina kits, but i'm not sure if they're good for anything.

Not totally opposed to making the faces from steel, so if that's my only option we can weather it, but then what kind of clear coat could stick to rust. Basically worried that we'll acheive a nice semi patina'd look, and then it will just continue to rust and will just be brown...

any help is appreicated!

visual800

Believe it or not a high solids auto clearcoat will stick to rust. Spray lights coats maybe 3 and then topcoat heavy

Techman

Any one who has used sculpt nouveau knows it is a paint that carries metal and is as easy as painting on the product.

Those who never used it have no idea how good it is.
It is actually a metal infused paint. After it dries about 20mins you spray on a patina activator. In about an hour you have metal coated substrate with a metal look including rust. It's done. It's gorgeous.

No need to use two color glaze system with multiple apply and wipe techniques.

We demo'd it in our last Master Mind cnc users meet and will show it again in the next Master Mind meet November 15 in Grand Rapids Mi.
The attendees at our last meet finished items that look authentic with just a little Sculpt Nouveau on sign foam. One coat and done.. Spray on a little patina activator where needed and its done. One hour is all it takes.

It is not expensive. The stuff goes a long way.

MikePro

+1 sculpt noveau is awesome.

the DIY in me always wants to create the chemical reaction myself. I've done some rapid-aging of various metals for certain projects, and it always has been trial/error until I get my process down with vinegar & distilled water, but have had awesome results rusting steel with myriatic acid (to clean) & hydrogen peroxide (rapid oxidation)
youtube videos are plentiful to show you the process, if you feel so inclined.

Signsforwhile

What about COR-TEN steel? No chemicals, no special paints, no extra steps.

Pursuing this idea right now with my waterjet guy! Really like that idea. Didn't think of cor-ten. My concern with conventional steel was that it would fall apart eventually. Like the idea that cor-ten is meant to be weathered.

Signsforwhile

Pursuing this idea right now with my waterjet guy! Really like that idea. Didn't think of cor-ten. My concern with conventional steel was that it would fall apart eventually. Like the idea that cor-ten is meant to be weathered.

haha update!! i know the landlord of the property and he is NOT happy about a sign on the wall that will potentially stain the concrete underneath it with rust drips.

Probably going to pitch the modern masters metal reactive because it can be sealed.

Thanks for all of your help.