• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Needing a good laminator to pair with my Edge

Recently my business has shifted towards doing a large number of fire department related graphics on my Edge LE, and I am needing a laminator to laminate these prints. I don't want to break the bank, all I need it to do is laminate Edge prints. Any suggestions?

Billct2

We use a lot of Frogjuice, it pops the color real nice.
On sign gold we have gone to clear cast and since we do most of our own installs we just apply it over the decal after it's applied.

SolitaryT

Laminating EDGE graphics? Would do it by hand if I were to do it at all. EDGEs are rock-solid machines, but it's such a very small niche that they fill. You may look at just getting a printer and a cutter that can plotter cut. And to the guy that said the frog juice makes it "pop"... give me your money and go wait in the car.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will look into it a little further. I guess I should explain what I'm doing a little better. Metal fire helmet shields and gold leaf graphics have become a major part of my business. I need to laminate the edge prints that go on the helmet shields for added protection due to the harsh environment they will be in. I am also getting into the hand laid gold leaf on vinyl, which requires me to print the shadows and outlines using the edge. These graphics also need a "laminate", whether it is actually laminate or another layer of clear vinyl. I know the Edge is a "niche" machine, but for my business it is perfect and definitely earns it's keep.

SolitaryT

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would that be a pain in the a$$?

Because you'd have to go back and cut out every little hole that's punched so that you can run it through the cutter. I suppose if you're just laminating an EDGE print and cutting it by hand, you'd be okay, but if you had to plotter cut it, it'd be a nightmare.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
laminating a punched vinyl sounds like a Pain in the a$$

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would that be a pain in the a$$?

Because you'd have to go back and cut out every little hole that's punched so that you can run it through the cutter. I suppose if you're just laminating an EDGE print and cutting it by hand, you'd be okay, but if you had to plotter cut it, it'd be a nightmare.

It really isn't a problem. Just use 13" to 14" laminate. If the material drifts over the tractor feed holes, just score it between the holes and the image and strip it off before placing it in the plotter. For a perfect lamination of short runs on an Edge, tape the lam and its liner in place with a masking tape hinge on the leading edge and run it through your laminator while holding onto the release liner. We use a Sheeter for this.

mjames

Premium Subscriber
Recently my business has shifted towards doing a large number of fire department related graphics on my Edge LE, and I am needing a laminator to laminate these prints. I don't want to break the bank, all I need it to do is laminate Edge prints. Any suggestions?

Try going to website gerber printers.com

I stumbled across a deal on craigslist that seemed to be too good to pass up. USI 27" laminator with heat, $120. The guy said if it doesn't do what I need it to do he will take it back. It isn't fancy, but I think it will work for now. Anyone have any experience with these?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 130