• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New shop van wrap design

Jeff

I too have asked many about taking phone numbers off vehicles, almost all say no.

I think webb info I almost useless as well, make it legible... And they will Google it.

SuncitySigns

I actually convinced a client today to drop there number off a partial vehicle wrap design because it took unnecessary attention away from there logo and asked them that exact question!! They had to stop an think for a while and then said hey you got a point! :)

Thanks Joe, although I think the "shopping list" needs to go back to the first layouts design.

laserman70

I did a poll on facbook, not too long ago, asking how many times a year had people either copied down a phone number or called a phone number off of an outdoor advertisement including vehicle graphics. Pretty much everyone responded never. The person that said they did use a phone number off of truck advertisement, only did it once and admitted that they would have prefer it if there were a web address instead.

Try for yourself, post your own poll and try to get non sign making folks to chime in. I bet you will get similar results.

I like the changes that you made btw.

Joe i respect your opinion.

However, here we live in an area that alot of older business owners do not even have an email.

I know, it sounds crazy.. We hear it often.
So they dont even have facebook to look there as well.

Some old school people want a # and a voice to hear and talk to.

just my .02

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
No one will remember a phone number either. A web address is the best way to go...

Exactly so. In order to remember a phone number and/or an email address the entire thing has to be either memorized or written down. With a web address all you have to remember is that there is one and have a vague notion of a name.

Back to the rotated logo. There's nothing wrong with rotating it but don't rotate anything such that it reads downhill unless you have a specific and really good reason for doing so. As a data point, in well over half a century I've never heard a good reason to do so. If you want to rotate it, do it counter-clockwise so that the text proceeds uphill.

Joe Diaz

I too have asked many about taking phone numbers off vehicles, almost all say no.

That's the thing, customers always want their phone number on their signs and vehicles, because they put it on everything else, but when you ask people if they actually use that information off those outdoor advertisements, the vast majority of people will say no. The small number of people who have, could have found that client easily if the emphasis was placed on brand recognition instead, which should be the primary focus anyway. If they can remember your name, and they are old school and not on the internet, they can easily find you in the phone book, after the fact, which is when they are more likely to want to contact you anyway, not the second they see you on the road or parked somewhere.

visual800

Since your logo is cool and i hate wraps it would look more professional with partial wrap. The blue makes your biz not seem serious the logo withou a wrap is more appealing, thats just my opinion

CES020

I disagree with taking the number off the vehicle. People sit behind wrapped vehicles in traffic all the time. People walk by them in parking lots, etc. What's the harm in not having the phone number? Dan's got some pretty solid numbers from actual clients that get a lot of phone traffic from their vehicles with the phone numbers on them. I'll let him chime in on that, but why, from a marketing standpoint, would you not put the phone number for a business on their advertising? I know a lot of older people who aren't on Facebook, aren't into technology and if you put just a website and a logo on there, they'd not know how to contact you. To me, you'd be isolating your market to only tech savvy people which seems short sighted if your customers aren't all tech savvy.

Marlene

website is good as people can get location and phone number from that. it wouldn't hurt to add a phone number too. I know that I have never used a phone on a truck to contact a company but since this is a rolling ad for you, it can't hurt. just don't make it so big it over powers everything else.

fresh

On more than one occasion, I've taken a picture of a sign with a phone number. I take pictures of things I want to remember all the time.

I would be hesitant to leave a phone number off a truck... Last week someone came in saying they got a phone call while sitting at a light from the car waiting behind him at the same light. What are the chances he would have made that sale if the number wasn't there?

Also, so many of our customers are contractors who don't have websites or facebook pages. As someone else mentioned, there are still plenty of people (young and old) who don't even use email.

I read something a long time ago that said "make it easy for people to contact you." So that is what we strive to do :rock-n-roll:

Desert_Signs

On more than one occasion, I've taken a picture of a sign with a phone number. I take pictures of things I want to remember all the time.

I would be hesitant to leave a phone number off a truck... Last week someone came in saying they got a phone call while sitting at a light from the car waiting behind him at the same light. What are the chances he would have made that sale if the number wasn't there?

Also, so many of our customers are contractors who don't have websites or facebook pages. As someone else mentioned, there are still plenty of people (young and old) who don't even use email.

I read something a long time ago that said "make it easy for people to contact you." So that is what we strive to do :rock-n-roll:

I've sold 3 jobs this month, because people saw one of my vehicles in traffic, and called from their car right then. That, however, is not usual. But I think you're hurting yourself if you leave it off. Even if it's only a couple sales a year, it didn't cost you a dime to have it on there. Heck, if it's white on a printed wrap, you probably saved yourself a nickel by not printing that area. :covereyes:

Dan Antonelli

I disagree with taking the number off the vehicle. People sit behind wrapped vehicles in traffic all the time. People walk by them in parking lots, etc. What's the harm in not having the phone number? Dan's got some pretty solid numbers from actual clients that get a lot of phone traffic from their vehicles with the phone numbers on them. I'll let him chime in on that, but why, from a marketing standpoint, would you not put the phone number for a business on their advertising? I know a lot of older people who aren't on Facebook, aren't into technology and if you put just a website and a logo on there, they'd not know how to contact you. To me, you'd be isolating your market to only tech savvy people which seems short sighted if your customers aren't all tech savvy.

This is actually an interesting point. One of my clients does have a phone number on the wraps we designed for them - a unique phone number that identifies the call as having originated from his truck (its the only place that phone number is ever used). So every call on that line they know is from someone calling having seen a truck.

In one year after rebranding them and redoing their truck design, they received an 865% increase in phone calls from their trucks versus year prior with old branding and wrap design. Perhaps the reason why many people say they never call a phone number from a truck wrap is that they can't read it or find one amidst the clutter?

I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel on phone numbers, but when I possible I assign higher priority to web than phone.

I once got a phone call from someone who saw the number on my vehicle also. Unfortunately, I was in a town over an hour outside our service area, and we never got the opportunity to make a sale as he wanted someone more local.

I have to disagree with not putting phone numbers on vehicles. Personally, I think it would be somewhat foolish to not put at least a small phone number on a vehicle graphic or wrap. With today's technology, taking photos of passing vehicles, or anything for that matter is becoming faster and easier every day. Not to mention, If a vehicle is parked on a job site for hours, who's to say you won't get some interest from nearby parties who spot your vehicle and the work you are doing? Someone could jot it down or punch it into their phone when they see you parked anywhere in public, even the grocery store. Putting the web address on vehicles however does make more sense, especially if it's the same as the business name.

As for a 'grocery list', I don't know if that's bad or good but it would seem at least to some degree, that not all sign shops specialize in the same things. Some do more banners, POP, and trade show exhibits, while others do large commercial projects and electrical installs. Other shops may offer screen printing and embroidery along with signs. You just never know.

SuncitySigns

This is actually an interesting point. One of my clients does have a phone number on the wraps we designed for them - a unique phone number that identifies the call as having originated from his truck (its the only place that phone number is ever used). So every call on that line they know is from someone calling having seen a truck.

In one year after rebranding them and redoing their truck design, they received an 865% increase in phone calls from their trucks versus year prior with old branding and wrap design. Perhaps the reason why many people say they never call a phone number from a truck wrap is that they can't read it or find one amidst the clutter?

I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel on phone numbers, but when I possible I assign higher priority to web than phone.

Dan would you be talking about the Metro Maintenance Solutions van you posted on your FB page yesterday?
I noticed it had a phone number an web address on the doors and the back.

Anyhow this is the latest reincarnation.

Attachments

• Suncity Signs Van.jpg
    Suncity Signs Van.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 88

S'N'S

Shane the phone/email "looks" like a bit of an after thought or maybe because its white, otherwise I don't mind it.

The entire design has too much symmetry and needs more flow. Contrast pertains to more than just color, but to textures as well as flow. The logo is what you would call an object with anti-flow because of it's geometric symmetry. You need a background that flows against it to make it pop more. The rays of light are boring and uninspired. They remind me of this...

http://saltandlighttv.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Sacre-Coeur.jpg

In a majority of Dan Antonelli's wrap designs he uses a flow/anti-flow relationship between the main focal points of the layout. You will notice that the logos, which are often confined to a geometric and symmetrical skeleton are balanced with a more organic icon, often times in the form of a mascot. This is why his wraps are so appealing and they all tend to follow this same formula. You're sunburst background would be better suited to a logo with a more organic feel, such as a whimsical script.

SuncitySigns

The entire design has too much symmetry and needs more flow. Contrast pertains to more than just color, but to textures as well as flow. The logo is what you would call an object with anti-flow because of it's geometric symmetry. You need a background that flows against it to make it pop more. The rays of light are boring and uninspired. They remind me of this...

http://saltandlighttv.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Sacre-Coeur.jpg

In a majority of Dan Antonelli's wrap designs he uses a flow/anti-flow relationship between the main focal points of the layout. You will notice that the logos, which are often confined to a geometric and symmetrical skeleton are balanced with a more organic icon, often times in the form of a mascot. This is why his wraps are so appealing and they all tend to follow this same formula. You're sunburst background would be better suited to a logo with a more organic feel, such as a whimsical script.

So in short your saying the logo blends in to well with the background?

Bly

I like it now but would lose the shopping list.
Have a look at any big company's vehicle branding - they usually only have a logo.

SuncitySigns

I like it now but would lose the shopping list. Have a look at any big company's vehicle branding - they usually only have a logo.
As much as agree with the above, as I'm still a new name floating around and the general dumb public are still asking dumb questions still I'd like to leave the shopping list on there...so maybe run the shopping list for 12 months then drop it when I redo the wrap.......

Last edited: