• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie Posts

Cadmn

ok I've been here awhile & seen / been part of good & bad. Many times a new poster Asks a question, gets the answer , doesn't like the answer ignores it & posts complaints that he didn't get a fair answer Well hog hockey, He didn't get the answer he wanted & chose to dis the ones that answered him truthfully. heck My local gas station sells it's gas too high so I need to buy a refinery for $1000 so I can refine my own gas. Duh, Not happening, is it right to dis the refinery trade for being truthful? get real 101is a college designation & you are expected to have knowledge before enrolling.....

Kevin T

Everything is going the right direction. People who want to be here for the right reasons. Fred has started to make minor changes that are more in line with the professional vision he has for this board. Well done I say.

I regret nothing that I've posted. My posts were honest sincere and should challenge the OP in some respects. To my way of thinking if you ever want this industry/trade/profession to be considered professional collectively we have to take it seriously and at least have a measured response to those that think of it as a frivolous playground like the gentleman in question.

Someone can always find fault in a post. But if you are honest, sincere and maintain a level of decorum you can never go wrong. The "Son" thread was fishy from the beginning and I said so. I did it politely what else can you ask from someone. Am I supposed to forget what I know and how I arrived here, a kind of check your brain before entering thing. That's not my thing.

Listen we all come at this from different places and angles. Some guys think signs are easy because all they do is simple signs. Some think it's easy because the "computer" does it or they only see the delivered racing decals. Others of us come at this from a very different place. Big dollar investments in hardware, software and staff. But no matter what your position you should question the motivation of "daddy" wanting to buy "son" a plotter so he can sell "stickers" to local racers and friends. Read between the lines people. He's not serious, he doesn't care about the realities of his 'dream" venture. He wants you to hand it to him.

In the midst of all that someone else is likely selling those very same racers decals, stripes and logos now. Do you want to take money out of that guys pocket because some low ball jackass wants to buy a toy to play with. Now those are my real feelings, I didn't express them in that thread nor did I insult the man. But I'm damn sure not going to have him or any other whiny bleeding heart tell me how to articulate my thoughts to someone else.

Sometimes the truth hurts and I can't guarantee you'll always read what you like.

grafixemporium

If you boil it down, I guess the point I'd like to get across is that you guys have no right and no real business to tell the $750 guy how to raise his son or how to start a business. If he wants to put up $750 to try and start a business with his son, that's his challenge. When he makes the first call to his supplier for a roll of vinyl, he'll realize his mistake.

He came here... to Signs101... to look for some advice on buying an entry level plotter. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Our suppliers sell entry level plotters for a reason. Should everyone just discontinue production and distribution on these plotters because you guys feel threatened by their very existence?

All I ask, as a relative newbie to these forums -- but certainly not to the design/advertising biz - is that you guys show a little more professionalism and tact in your "professional forums" as you are so proud to call them. If you don't want any newbs here at all asking dumb questions that inevitably instigate a barrage of flames from those of you who need a little boost to your ego, just shut off that section and make this a members only site.

This nonsense is totally 3rd grade... if you can't find something nice to say, just shut your trap.

iSign

Since you've identified yourself as a relative newbie to these forums... let me help you out a bit...

you are speaking in an open forum... which has a membership of 10,000 people...

...so all your whiney opinionated little "you guys this" and "you guys that" remarks are bouncing around cyberspace leaving most to think WTF is this guy ranting & raving about...

I mean, who the hell is "you guys"? ... you make it sound like it's everybody but you? ...third grade huh? I think you're aiming a little high there, your little pet peeve of the week is a bit closer to kindergarten if you ask me... but as for the father buying his son a job... get over it.

That dude brought it on himself, and the facts are there for all to see, as well as being explained repeatedly to you slower folks...

..so ease up on the silly projections of ego boosting... are you really so far down this little tangent of yours that you fail to see the exact same holier-than-thou bullcrap coming out of your own mouth, that you are trying so desperately to pin on others here.

Like, where is the nice crap that justifies your jaw flapping anyway?

grafixemporium

I think it's pretty obvious I was talking to you isign. In fact, any of you who had to stop and think about whether you've flamed a newbie or not, I was probably talking to you too. My post was pretty clear isign. You're the only tool who apparently didn't get it.

I don't proclaim to be holier than anything. I just don't see the need to talk down to everyone who crosses my path... online or in the real world. You must be a complete doormat in real life isign. I hope you get some therapy out of all this e-bullying you do.

Buh-Bye

iSign

oh, talking to me huh?

If you boil it down, I guess the point I'd like to get across is that you guys have no right and no real business to tell the $750 guy how to raise his son or how to start a business. If he wants to put up $750 to try and start a business with his son, that's his challenge. When he makes the first call to his supplier for a roll of vinyl, he'll realize his mistake.
ok... well, in the THREAD in question, you'll note that I didn't excercise any alleged right, or make it my business to comment at all, so since you're talking to me... what are we talking about again?

He came here... to Signs101... to look for some advice on buying an entry level plotter. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Our suppliers sell entry level plotters for a reason.

damn right.. nothing wrong... never heard me say different...

Should everyone just discontinue production and distribution on these plotters because you guys feel threatened by their very existence?

...now, now don't get stupid on me... we're trying to have a conversation here.. discontinue affordable plotters? nope.

"you guys"? that's me again? ...nope, not threatened in the least... like to find one post of mine anywhere to the contrary? ...don't bother.. there ain't any!

All I ask, as a relative newbie to these forums -- but certainly not to the design/advertising biz - is that you guys show a little more professionalism and tact in your "professional forums" as you are so proud to call them.
...actually NEVER called them that myself... but talk to me all you want... I could always stand to show a little more professionalism and tact.

If you don't want any newbs here at all asking dumb questions that inevitably instigate a barrage of flames from those of you who need a little boost to your ego, just shut off that section and make this a members only site.

actually my ego is doing quite fine, thank you. I'm sure I've helped as many newbies as anyone else here, besides Fred & possibly a few others... and many of them here would attest to that... but that's right... you're new here... maybe you'd like to find a post of mine instigating a barrage of flames from a newbie question? ...oops... 'nother waste of time... there aren't any :banghead:

sorry you're striking out here bub... I know you're all sure an everything... 'bout how F'd up this place is an all.. and how you have the insight to take out the trash properly around here... but being all pissed off & ready to bugger off 'cause it ain't being handled to yer liking...

sorry "talking to me" ain't making you look so good after all...

...but hey, somebody's bashing a newbie somewhere... hurry, run... maybe you can save them. :popcorn:

Dave Drane

Yawwwnnnnn!!! this goes on and on day after day. Fred I really feel for you having to trawl through this crap wasting you valuable time. Some of these people are a total waste of space (and bandwidth). I say refer em all to 201

Kevin T

This nonsense is totally 3rd grade... if you can't find something nice to say, just shut your trap.

Nice! That sounded totally "High School" maybe junior year.

Take your own advice.

You certainly don't seem to get it. While your sitting here with your Norman Rockwell vision of a dad and his son working on a project together you are brushing aside the realities of his request. If you take the to time read the post correctly you'd realize we was directed to several plotter options. He did not come here looking for a $750 plotter he came here with $750 to start a business. When he was told his budget was probably less than it needed to be he took offence.

You can believe whatever you like but most of the nastiness happened after 2 people took it upon themselves to insult everyone in the thread. Without offering one single suggestion other than "go to signs201". I'm not sure that was relevant to the thread or constructive to the board. Perhaps you should spend more time wondering aloud why that needed to happen before you hang some of us for trying to help.

Just a question is there any cost to register a business or license it in the US. I assume every State or County attaches some cost. I wonder if that was coming out of the $750. I wonder if he was planning a legit business or just a fly by the seat of your pants special. For $750 I kind of think the former rather than the latter.

Pro Image

Its clear what the 750$ man was doing to start with in my mind.......

He went to a local sign guy priced a job and thought what everyone else does is that I can buy it all for 750 and not pay the pro.......

He duped Fred in his application and well he got what he deserved.....

What got me was that most of the post on the subject were helpful in some way......

Yea he got a few SA answers to his original question but heck haven't we all......

As for the 2 that got put in time-out....The messed up by using the F word in a open form.....Thats was their own mistakes not anyone else's.....

People on this board need to grow up and get some thick skin if you want to be apart of the board......That goes for the hatters also.......

Kevin T

He went to a local sign guy priced a job and thought what everyone else does is that I can buy it all for 750 and not pay the pro.......

That is exactly what I've been saying. It really wasn't that hard to read into...was it? Good to see some people do get it. His reaction said it all.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

He came here... to Signs101... to look for some advice on buying an entry level plotter. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Our suppliers sell entry level plotters for a reason. Should everyone just discontinue production and distribution on these plotters because you guys feel threatened by their very existence?

All I ask, as a relative newbie to these forums -- but certainly not to the design/advertising biz - is that you guys show a little more professionalism and tact in your "professional forums" as you are so proud to call them. If you don't want any newbs here at all asking dumb questions that inevitably instigate a barrage of flames from those of you who need a little boost to your ego, just shut off that section and make this a members only site.

That is where you are wrong. Members of this forum have every right to reply bluntly, even rudely, when someone gets through our screening by claiming to be or want to be a professional in the sign profession and then demonstrates that he or she is not.

The purpose of Signs 101 is to provide a venue and resources for individuals engaged in or interested in engaging in the craft, business and profession of sign making as a way to earn their living ... in full or in part. Conversely, it is not here and is opposed to providing those same resources and venue to outsiders not meeting that definition or to those who are professionals but do not agree with that mission and act in ways intended to thwart or compromise it.

There are any number of "us and them" separators here as there are in life. There are those who meet our benchmark for membership and those who do not. Among our members there are

• those who participate and those who do not
  • those who have talent, knowledge or experience and those who do not
  • those who willing to share and those who are not
  • those who are new and those who have been here a while
  • those who are literate and those who are not
  • those who are courteous and those who are not
  • those who agree with our purpose and those who do not

These descriptors, however, are valid when applied to individuals. There are no organized groups or cliques. And there is no "us against them" except in any given individual's mind.

It is each member's choice as to how to conduct themselves and it is each member's choice to seek out what's good or to focus on what's not so good.

The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.

skyhigh

If you don't want any newbs here at all asking dumb questions that inevitably instigate a barrage of flames from those of you who need a little boost to your ego, just shut off that section and make this a members only site.

GE you are totally wrong.
While reading that thread, I thought the members were extremely helpful (up to a point....where I would have taken your advice and shut him off).

Maybe you should take your own advice and shut it off, if your so dissatisfied with things here.

Now,all I can suggest is, for you to go back and read the thread again, then apologize to Doug. :thumb:

S

SignTech

Signs101 members are now referred to as: BOOBS, Jerks and Assh*&^s and KEYBOARD COMMANDOS ......

I am not a JERK. LOL

Hey Doug you're multi quoting again ............. you gave me Sh&^ for that. WTH?

iSign

Signs101 members are now referred to as: BOOBS, Jerks and Assh*&^s and KEYBOARD COMMANDOS ......

I am not a JERK. LOL

Hey Doug you're multi quoting again ............. you gave me Sh&^ for that. WTH?

Mike, I am absolutely SURE I never gave you $#!+ for that... in fact, quotes are such a valuable thing... any time you want to reference some alleged post from another member... going and finding it to include a quote or a link is a great way to keep things based on facts and not memories. Please feel free to find a post to confirm your memory. I could easily be proven wrong. It wouldn't be the first time... but I'll put money on me being right on this one :Big Laugh

...now... what you might be confusing this with is a behavior I have seen from you & also seen others comment on a few times, is when you use 4 or 5 different posts in a row, to respond to 4 or 5 different comments to one of your threads. I don't recall if I made a comment about that, but I very well might have because I consider it an unnesessary tactic, although I wouldn't go as far as saying it's "wrong" ...I know it bugs other people, because I recall several others saying so :doh:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:Sleeping:​

What does it really matter what the guy came here for now anyways. For those that couldn’t see it in the beginning and posted, they now have learned. For those that didn’t care to respond because of obvious insight… good for them. Now to discuss this and put down your fellow tradesmen… that’s pure nonsense. How do you expect to further yourself by pondering old crap ?? If you haven’t learned to detect these things by now…. take a lesson in what happened here.

Whether you responded courteously or not isn’t the question here. It’s being able to see that someone is making a fool of you or your brothers. Only a few saw through this and posted up about it and now you want to condemn the people that alerted you to the fact and make yourself feel better by sticking up for the wrong person instead of thanking the VERY people that are helping you.

Sure, it’s one thing to help a newbie and respect raw talent, but make sure you’re not mistaking raw talent for Tom Foolery.​
You people that couldn’t see this one coming is just one more reason we need this ‘PREMIER’ section. If that guy didn’t want to pay more than $750 for his kid to get into business, he wouldn’t have spent $7.50 to learn a darn thing in this industry.

I think more and more… your real answers are gonna be in the premier section and only poppycock out here in the freebie peanut gallery. :popcorn: