• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbies only

Dave Drane

Hi guys, I want to get some opinions on the sign shown below. I want guys who have been in the business for lets say....up to 3 years only. I have already altered the sign and will put a pic up in a couple of days, but what I want you to do is tell me some ideas of what may look better changing lettering only (it peeled off real easy because it was chep stuff), and also state what you think could be wrong with it now.
Thanks to all who participate and I will post another pic in a few days.

Attachments

• FG.jpg
    FG.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 134

Ponto

I've been in the business for about 4 years....does that count? :)
First off I would make the Old Engligh all caps, and arc it......
Then I would adjust all the kerning to match the distance between the "F" and "o".
I think that would make it perfect.
Oh! and change the "HOT" to brush script.

...you have a gift!!!:rolleyes:

JP

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
I've been in the business for about 4 years....does that count? :)
First off I would make the Old Engligh all caps, and arc it......
Then I would adjust all the kerning to match the distance between the "F" and "o".
I think that would make it perfect.
Oh! and change the "HOT" to brush script.

I don't care who you are...That's funny

jiarby

That's a horrible layout! The font is bad, the text on a curve is bad, the clipart is bad.
There is nothing worth keeping except the blue background!

To fix it using only cut vinyl??

Try a two-line with reverse layout. Here is a 5 second sketch...

Attachments

• hf2g.jpg
    hf2g.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 101

Jillbeans

You shoulda posted that on the one other forum with the patriotic title so everyone could say "Good Jaaab!"
Love.....Jill

Big House Signs

Dave, I think it is really nice of you to teach the newbies in the biz! Growing up my Dad would critique every sign we came across...thats really how I learned good typography/layout...and of course watching the old man sketch a layout and then handpaint was always great too.

Service Sign Co

So you are just changing the lettering, not the clip art.It would look different,depending on my mood at the time. I qualify as a newbie compared to most here.

Last edited:

thmooch

I can't get the vectors to open quite right in Microsoft Paint. Would you mind saving it in a .jpg?

slappy

I'd get them to re-word the sign. Hot Take Away Food makes me think someone will steal it. You should have it read "Take Away Hot Food":munchie:

Edserv

I'm not a designer, and I'm a newbie. So for what it's worth, I'd do what you did to start (ask opinions and test the responses,) but other than that,
Is that a fish head in the picture? Yuck. I don't like raw fish with my burgers. Unless it's a sushi bar:)
With the quality of digital printing, you could probably take up some of the real estate with an awesome picture of mouth-watering food. A big burger and fries that really stands out. Then, I'd go with one of the previous post's layout for the text. Nice text layout- I'd have one of our designers help on this, but other than that, maybe a call to action: arrow sign? "Hot Fresh Food Served NOW."?
Thanks for letting me lend my opinion.

Dave Drane

I'm not a designer, and I'm a newbie. So for what it's worth, I'd do what you did to start (ask opinions and test the responses,) but other than that,
Is that a fish head in the picture? Yuck. I don't like raw fish with my burgers. Unless it's a sushi bar:)
With the quality of digital printing, you could probably take up some of the real estate with an awesome picture of mouth-watering food. A big burger and fries that really stands out. Then, I'd go with one of the previous post's layout for the text. Nice text layout- I'd have one of our designers help on this, but other than that, maybe a call to action: arrow sign? "Hot Fresh Food Served NOW."?
Thanks for letting me lend my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion Edserv, I did not make the original sign, and yes it is butt ugly but the customer wanted to retain it as his "logo" and did not want to spend any more money than he had to. If it was up to me I would have thrown the whole thing away, but hey, a job of any kind is money. As I said the vinyl peeled off easily and all i had to do was something more legible for the copy only. In Aussie a fast food sign is called "take aways" so the wording stays. All I want is to see how some newbies will attack the task. The sign is already gone and I have a pic which I will show on Monday as to the changes I did. I will be open to any critisism and I am sure there are newbies here which could probably put me to shame, but this is about vinyl only with no added blends etc. and no digital prints.
I'd have one of our designers help on this,
This is why I started the whole thing, to see what someone new to this trade would do. Thank you for your response, it is appreciated and I look forward to many more before Monday morning (my time). BTW, how long have you been in the industry, no malice intended.

Lance

You want perty ?
Here ya go, a true newbie at work.............:covereyes:

:thumb::Australia

Attachments

• DD Challenge.jpg
    DD Challenge.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 112