• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Northridge Pylon Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

chatterbox

Here is a Sign Design for a shopping center.

Double-sided. Designed with a more contemporary look, perhaps, more fitting to California.

All files from now on will be RGB.

Last edited:

vinylbarry

Well if thats bad we have town 32 miles away full of that stuff. No we didnt do it but its the norm in that town and its a big town.

neato

C'mon guys. In all fairness, this is a nice rendition. I think this would be a fine looking sign. Nice job on the drawing aspect too.

jiarby

what does "For Portfolio Purposes Only" mean?? Have you got anything you actually have built? Can you post the rendering & also the finished signs?? It is always good to see real life stuff.

Flame

bad = annoying.

The structure is well put together. The logo on top is hideous but seriously... this guy doesn't know when to quit. Digging himself a grave...

daveb

General Know-it-all
Well if thats bad we have town 32 miles away full of that stuff. No we didnt do it but its the norm in that town and its a big town.
Exactly the point, this could have been copied off of a dozen drawings I've seen in the last six months. The only thing original is the "N" thing a the top and that's so bad it's obviously his. It's too bad there's not a "Dogie Doodo" award Icon over in the smiles section. You should probably start one.

Dave

k.a.s.

I think he has rubbed some people the wrong way here, but I agree with Neato. It really is not bad, looks like standard shopping center signage. I would like to see some finished projects though.

Kevin

Marlene

Designed with a more contemporary look, perhaps, more fitting to California.

it's a common looking style of sign used at a lot of malls. it has been done to death but it works OK as people are used to seeing this kind of sign.

question for you, do you have any drawings of your work that actually was made into a sign? it might be more interesting to see a finished project then just some guy spitting out drawings of stuff that never become signs.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I must be missing something, but I fail to see any reason for bashing this guy.

There's nothing wrong with his presentation. Whether or not he got the job or farmed it out isn't really an issue either.

Why all the hostility ??

Patrick46

I must be missing something, but I fail to see any reason for bashing this guy.

Why all the hostility ??

Maybe because he doesn't seem to offer or bring anything to this board.

...and yet EVERYDAY he brings ANOTHER stack of drawings looking for critiques, and advice.

.......well.........he get's them!!!

(I think folks may react 'alittle' bit differently to the guy if he actually subscribed to this board)

And as stated earlier...does he actually make signs, or has any of his supposed 'sign proposals' ever actually been made?? That's what I'd like to know.

I do agree on one thing...
insted of childishly slamming him...people should just ignore his posts if it bothers them so much!!
(I can't stand people throwing rocks on the i-net...I think it's chickenshit)

Jack Knight1979

I'm getting tired of a 100 posts of art from this guy. Can we at least compile all this "stuff" into one thread?

I'm all for community, but signs101 is turning into "The Chatterbox, look what I did group."

Chatterbox. Thank you for adding to the group. I think it would be beneficial to all if you posted your body of work into one thread.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I think the reason for the hostility is probably:

-- His constant questioning of a persons qualifications.
-- His need to justify his qualifications.
-- His insistence that sign people on this board or maybe in general are close minded.
-- His justification for lackluster design that is not relative to a constructive discussion about design.
-- Calling Signs 101 the peanut gallery.
-- Going on another site and and commenting on how much Signs 101 don't get it and are close minded.
-- Casting a wide criticism of designers, sign people and people on this board as unqualified to comment on his work, and that since he has already done a peer review to his satisfaction, we should probably accept his design is a good solution.

I don't get baited into this type of discussion too much, but after reading these threads, it's getting to the point where it's just wasting bandwidth.

I'm hoping Mr. Burke can cease all forum contribution until he understands how this design forum works. It seems he lacks some forum etiquette and Signs 101 is known to be tough on critiques.

It would be nice if he also opened his mind to the idea that all of us have a different career growth in the industry... some here are newbies, quite a few 20-30 years in the business. Some apprenticed, some self taught. Some share his same passion, some here are trying to make a buck. But to undermine a persons opinion, after asking for it, is only going to come off as contentious, arrogant and obtuse. 3 qualities that happen quite often on design boards.

Marlene

not only are you the greatest circle designer ever but you summed and put into words just what the problem is with this guy. well said Rick

SignManiac

Rick,

You never cease to amaze me with your ability to solve a dilemma, be it a design problem or an over zealous self appointed design God of a magnitude that us mere mortals could never hope to attain.

Oh and Fred is pretty damn good too:thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, this was the first one I ready and didn't understand what was going on.

After reading a few more he is little over the top.

Anyway, his presentation is still good. I guess I just don;t understand why there are certain people here throwing stones when their crap isn't much better. Seems like when the numbers grow as to someone getting the crap bashed out of them... everyone tends to jump on the band wagon and join in the festivities without having anything themselves to back up their accusations.

The only time we have lots people agreeing on something is when someone gets out of hand and then enemies will stand shoulder to shoulder within our ranks here.

Anyway, the guy is overbearing, but let him have his fun and keep putting his foot in his mouth. He'll get sick of it and eventually go to that little pond where he still remains a big fish.

Marlene

yEAH, THIS WAS THE FIRST ONE i READ AND DIDN;T UNDERSTAND WHAT WAS GOING ON.

I know what you mean as I came in this morning and was wondering what this guy did, then I read a few comments...

so what other forum is this guy talking about Signs 101 forum?

really class act to do that!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
so what other forum is this guy talking about Signs 101 forum?
The comment he made is no longer there..

I will not comment on what board it was, the admin has worked hard at adding valuable content, it is a really good board, and deserves to be mentioned only in a positive way.

Status
Not open for further replies.