• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Odd" request - new standard for unisex restroom ADA signage

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
This is the lamest interpretation of a RESTROOM sign.

There is no official toilet pictogram because the men/women picto is the "international" symbol for restroom. It's used all over the world!!!! I would lose the UNISEX and replace it with "RESTROOM" otherwise, this is someone thinking way too much

John Butto

Don't take it wrong from my side either, I liked your bathroom signs, even though they made the female one look like the christian symbol turned at a 90 degree.

John Butto

They don't have a international toilet pictogram because some places in the world just have a hole in the floor.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you get a little bombardier sight for the squatting holes ??

mmmm........ bombs away.................

Marlene

The ones I've installed simply contain the descriptor text "RESTROOM". The pictograms (the man, the woman, the wheelchair) imply the fact that it's accessible to all individuals

that's what we have been doing for local state univeristy and no one has peed on the floor yet because they couldn't figure it out so I say it has served it's purpose.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
that's what we have been doing for local state univeristy and no one has peed on the floor yet because they couldn't figure it out so I say it has served it's purpose.

Seems by most of these posts, they aren't worried about a little pee on the floor, but a quivering steamy pile of sha-a-a-a-aving cream.
Besides, what does it matter where you do your job, as long as you do it in a toilet or down a hole and not on the living room carpet, like my frickin' cat does. :frustrated:

Marlene

the thing is people need to know where to go. if you are in a wheelchair or you are a cross gender person or whatever you just need to know what room to go into to. if it has the male/female/handicap symbols the people will who need to know will. you don't have to have everything, just the above as it pretty much says everyone which is the point. some places are attempting to add gender neutral or unisex as a way of making it sound all inclusive. either way will work and if given the choice, I would go with unisex as the word has been around for a long time and people get what it means.