• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Oh boy..........................

I already replaced it from 2 weeks ago. The two girls complained about the colors being off, a bubble or two and demanded I make it over at my expense. Before starting, they came in again and picked a new border color. They changed their own artwork. This time everything met their approval, but this tiny little smudge. I know all she wants is not a discount, but forget the remaining balance altogether. This smudge cannot be seen at night whatsoever and during the day, you hafta be at a certain angle looking up at it and be on a ladder. The sign is about 10' in the air. Their first set of demands were ridiculous, but I know the one girl for over 40 years. I re-did it for her and her only. Her partner is a real winner. Believe it or not, the girl I knew came to the shop last week crying and said she was afraid of her OWN partner. She's found fault with every vendor they have and has made enemies out of everyone. Its apparently her MO. This is why I don't think I'm gonna do it for a third time. If I can, I will get a closeup picture of the area in question.
After an attempt to fix it either reprint or patch and if they are still not happy , give them their money back and say, "see ya" and not take them as a customer again. Funny, we've had those and they come back to us but nope not doing it. Get burned once, not twice.

Hahahaaaa..... that side is reserved for this place......... not customers. According to this girl, the customer is always right. She told me that about 17 times already.
Unfortunately, it is a cruel world, those type of customers can hurt business owners through social media, not fair but life isn't. Do what you have to do then walk away.

Jean Shimp

I would argue to the customer that the sign serves its "intended use", meaning that it is meant to be seen and read from a distance and it does serve that purpose. So the idea of complaining about a minuscule flaw is not reasonable. If anything, I might give a small discount for the mark in the print.

I would argue to the customer that the sign serves its "intended use", meaning that it is meant to be seen and read from a distance and it does serve that purpose. So the idea of complaining about a minuscule flaw is not reasonable. If anything, I might give a small discount for the mark in the print.
I would re-do it or give them their money back and walk away. Once you start discounting your work, that will set the standard and those type of customers will always look for flaws and expect a discount.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I would re-do it or give them their money back and walk away. Once you start discounting your work, that will set the standard and those type of customers will always look for flaws and expect a discount.
Making a one time discount for a slightly damaged product doesn't set the standard... its often makes sense. I dented a sign and it would cost me way more to redo it or just offer $100 which is nothing and move on. If I think the client is too picky I don't work with them again.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For those interested, she sent me a picture and highlighted the area in question. This mark, in my opinion damaged the lam and the ink underneath is just smudged. I believe it happened from one of the bushes in the area while raising it up and I never realized it. The mark I was thinking of is at the other end and ya can't really see it. This is about 1/2" too. She called and asked me how am I gonna fix it ?? Honestly, on a gradient like that, I don't think I can. I can do an inlay as mentioned earlier, but I need some overlap or you'll see light coming through. Could be some touchy surgery up in the air.

amiga smudge.jpg

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
For those interested, she sent me a picture and highlighted the area in question. This mark, in my opinion damaged the lam and the ink underneath is just smudged. I believe it happened from one of the bushes in the area while raising it up and I never realized it. The mark I was thinking of is at the other end and ya can't really see it. This is about 1/2" too. She called and asked me how am I gonna fix it ?? Honestly, on a gradient like that, I don't think I can. I can do an inlay as mentioned earlier, but I need some overlap or you'll see light coming through. Could be some touchy surgery up in the air.

View attachment 154576
You should point out the other screw up to her. Honesty is the best policy

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
Why not print a small patch large enough to cover the mark? Explain viewing distance to her. Seems like an easy fix to me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Put a maraca over it?
THAT'S IT. EXACTLY !!! I've always said, when ya have a mistake, make it look like it was done on purpose. That's the whole reasoning behind shocard gingerbread. There are all kindsa faint swirly things going through the background. I'm in the process right now of making one. I'll cut out the bad part and put this in it's place and you won't see anything and no need to explain anything.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think he exceeded the city's maraca limit in their sign code...if I remember correctly. And this is not a sarcastic reply.
HA! I love a happy ending!

No no no, you're remembering all wrong. He exceeded the sombrero limit!
I have no idea why, but they said only one hat and 2 rattles are allowed. To me, that sounds racist. Guess I'll check into that later, but FIRST, I wanna get paid for this. Going out tomorrow to try my fix.