• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Oh boy..........................

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks really good Gino. Next, you should see how much she'd be willing to pay to clean up those mortar joints

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Ok, don't know if it was a joke or not, but I had to look into this. The house across the road from my folks growing up had this sh*t going on. I always wondered why, it looks awful, almost like the mason's helper didn't show up that day, and he said f*ck it. I wouldn't say this is a popular style around my parts, but it's definitely seen frequently enough. So, I googled it. Aside from walls being built next to existing buildings with no access to clean up, where the older building was later demolished, evidently this was intentional...

"Sometimes, however, sloppy mortar was an intentional choice of the architect. There is a style of mortar in the Front Range that I have never noticed back east: ‘weeping mortar’. From what I can tell, it seems to have been popular between the 1930s and 1950s – perhaps even slightly later – and it entailed allowing the mortar to ooze out of the masonry while the wall was being constructed. I saw this Tudor-Revival style building with weeping mortar joints on the University of Colorado campus a few weeks ago."

I'm guessing it never caught on on the island?
Very little of the small red bricks used here. Everything is concrete hollow block with rebar down the middle or precast. Not many wooden houses here either - strong storms and the termites that help you load the wood into your truck at Home Depot so they can get it to their colonies sooner.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All the signs were flush wall mounts. Had to chisel all that slop away first. Cold chisel and a 3lb crosspeen hammer made short work of it. These buildings were built in the late 60s, so it's been going on for a long time. That looks like sh!t in my opinion.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
All the signs were flush wall mounts. Had to chisel all that slop away first. Cold chisel and a 3lb crosspeen hammer made short work of it. These buildings were built in the late 60s, so it's been going on for a long time. That looks like sh!t in my opinion.
That chizzling and install only took about 5 minutes start to finish I assume?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope. Took 5 minutes just to gaze at the sky........ it was so nice yesterday, until it started raining. After the rain stopped, the sun re-appeared and there was a new feeling of hunger in my tummy. Ohh........ it's getting close to lunchtime. What shall I have for lunch ?? My, oh my, decisions, decisions, decisions. .......... always something.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope, filled up the bucket on the way there and the generator works on it's own supply. Didn't have a need for gas........ or to disperse. But you make me feel that way sometimes )))))))

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hahahaaa......... Just got an e-mail from her.

That is UNACCEPTABLE ....not sure why you think cutting the piece out and altering the sign is a good thing ....I seen it right away ....and it's peeling up ... I think you know what the correct solution is.... The sign is supposed to be one piece.... One complete sheet.... Fix it like that,..Sophia

So, as the stomach churns, so do my wheels. I think I'm just going to send her a letter [returned receipt] that I will not go any further as nothing seems to please her. Please pay what you owe so far and we can discuss any future restorations.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Hahahaaa......... Just got an e-mail from her.

That is UNACCEPTABLE ....not sure why you think cutting the piece out and altering the sign is a good thing ....I seen it right away ....and it's peeling up ... I think you know what the correct solution is.... The sign is supposed to be one piece.... One complete sheet.... Fix it like that,..Sophia

So, as the stomach churns, so do my wheels. I think I'm just going to send her a letter [returned receipt] that I will not go any further as nothing seems to please her. Please pay what you owe so far and we can discuss any future restorations.
Yikes, with what has transpired I am surprised her name is Sophia and not Karen. Time to cut and run.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I thought your fix looked good, but given the history with the client, a redo was in order. Sometimes it sucks, but its clearly the only way she is going to be happy. She isn't the one that scratched the sign, no matter how miniscule it was.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Did she really write that or are you paraphrasing? Holy crap, that makes me mad for you. I'll bend over backwards for nice people but the ones like that can go you know what, my fault or not.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I changed was the color. That was copied & pasted from her e-mail to me earlier this morning.

petepaz

i would try to repair it if possible like already mentioned with the polish kit if that doesn't work offer a discount of some sorts but sounds like this is just a problem customer who wants something for free. unfortunately been there done that. sometimes it's gotten to the point where how much stress, aggravation and time lost do i need to put in to this that you just let it go as a loss.
(luckily it's not a common thing but over 30 years it has happened a few times)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I can think of all kindsa examples to shoot down her thinking. In fact, we're gonna be re-lettering a large truck for a customer who just bought a $220,000.00 truck. He had it for about a week and was asked to bring it back to where he bought it, so they could outfit the last item. While there, an employee ran a machine into the front fender and door and destroyed the lettering along with a lotta metal. They admitted damaging it, but they aren't gonna replace the whole truck. They're gonna repair it and pay to have us re-letter. So, it will be a patch job and he'll have never had a brand new vehicle that he paid for. He's not upset, just out a truck for a few weeks while all the work is being done. Had a automobile one time which the transmission clunked out after having it about 4 weeks and they replaced it for nothing, but not the entire car. Then, the A/C went out in it and they replaced that, but not the entire car. Later the transmission went out again and they replaced it. Later the engine went bad. I finally said, I'm making payments on a 750il, but I'm almost always driving around in a frickin' jetta. I'm not happy. They said, we will never give you a new one, but we'll replace everything ten times over. Took them to court and won.

Thing is, mistakes happen and if you can make them good by fixing them, I don't see a problem. Evidently, Sophia is not that way.

My wife was just in for lunch and we decided to take it down one more time, replace the print and try it one more time. I can take the face out by myself, so my only cost is a new translucent print, laminate and put it back in by myself. Hardly any cost and this b!tch still owes me about $3,300, so I can't just chalk it up to principle. Nope, she's gonna pay. When..... ?? I don't know, but she eventually will.