• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Oh boy..........................

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
So, fixing it with an inlay doesn't count ??
I think for most people the inlay would of been an acceptable fix. Most folks are reasonable and understand shit happens and if you can fix it and it looks OK then they are cool with it. I would of called and asker her first if that would of been OK and shown her the artwork before doing it. It sounds like she's stuck on it being redone so she probably wouldn't of gone with it which sucks. I'd of offered her a few hundred bucks discount. Sounds like you have to reprint it or walk away from $3k. Once you reprint the sign, make sure she is there to approve it and to give you a check. No finial check before you leave, no sign.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
At least we have all learned something valuable from Gino in this thread.
The poor reliability of the German-engineered BMW is real & not just an internet urban legend.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think for most people the inlay would of been an acceptable fix. Most folks are reasonable and understand **** happens and if you can fix it and it looks OK then they are cool with it. I would of called and asker her first if that would of been OK and shown her the artwork before doing it. It sounds like she's stuck on it being redone so she probably wouldn't of gone with it which sucks. I'd of offered her a few hundred bucks discount. Sounds like you have to reprint it or walk away from $3k. Once you reprint the sign, make sure she is there to approve it and to give you a check. No finial check before you leave, no sign.
I completely agree with this. I would tell her I'm reinstalling on Monday, I'll bring the invoice and you can sign off and pay before I leave. I sure hope she doesn't expect a discount.

2B

What is the height above grade?
How did she know it was layered?
Since this is backlit, did the "fix" create a dark spot?

At this point, reprint / reface the full face.
have them sign off and get paid BEFORE you leave.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
1. What is the height above grade?
2. How did she know it was layered?
3. Since this is backlit, did the "fix" create a dark spot?

4. At this point, reprint / reface the full face.
5. have them sign off and get paid BEFORE you leave.
1. The sign is 36" x 96" and the bottom is around 7' off the ground.
2. I can't figure that out, either ??
3. If it did, it would've been about 1/16" as I trimmed it very close. I'd rather have a dark line, than light showing through.
4. Already have the print going.
5. She will not come prepared to pay. It's too inconvenient for her to be there when I'm gonna be there. She's made that abundantly clear. You cannot get a word in edge-wise. No matter what I say, she will counter it..... and besides, I don't wanna be around her. I do not like her..... AT ALL.

6. It's not much outta pocket to do this again, hence our decision. And the place is about 4 minutes up the road, which makes it nice for me. She lives about 25 miles away . It's more frustrating to be told be a total idiot that I don't know what I'm doing and she is the customer and the customer is always right, regardless of how stupid right she might be in her own little mind. As many have stated...... this kinda action has always been accepted by others in similar situations. This one, however, is just trying to get outta paying and this is her last hope. Cripes, her own partner has quite her after a few days, because she is impossible to be around, let alone listen to her diarrhea of the mouth on/about everyone and everything.

jochwat

Graphics Department
3. If it did, it would've been about 1/16" as I trimmed it very close. I'd rather have a dark line, than light showing through.
5. She will not come prepared to pay. It's too inconvenient for her to be there when I'm gonna be there. She's made that abundantly clear. You cannot get a word in edge-wise. No matter what I say, she will counter it..... and besides, I don't wanna be around her. I do not like her..... AT ALL.

6. It's not much outta pocket to do this again, hence our decision. And the place is about 4 minutes up the road, which makes it nice for me. She lives about 25 miles away . It's more frustrating to be told be a total idiot that I don't know what I'm doing and she is the customer and the customer is always right, regardless of how stupid right she might be in her own little mind. As many have stated...... this kinda action has always been accepted by others in similar situations. This one, however, is just trying to get outta paying and this is her last hope. Cripes, her own partner has quite her after a few days, because she is impossible to be around, let alone listen to her diarrhea of the mouth on/about everyone and everything.
Her partner quit? Sounds like you'll be printing yet another sign for her soon: "ONE AMIGA". Hmmm, or more accurately, "NO AMIGAS", as I doubt that woman has any.

jochwat

Graphics Department
Where my retro nerds at?

dosamigas.jpg

I would say if you were the last person or someone in your shop was I guess you're responsible. I do think someone is being very picky. That fix you did looked good to me.

rossmosh

I agree with her that the initial damage was enough to call back and ask for a repair.

Based on the photos presented, I'd say the fix was more than acceptable. Paneling will forever be a part of this industry and from the photos you posted, the seams were dead on and didn't show. Now will it show when the sign lights up at night or at a different angle? No idea. But from the photos, the fix was more than appropriate.

Doing the reprint is just something that happens in this business. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do it even though it's not really required. Where I would draw the line is when she refuses to pay at the time the job is completed. At that point, she's just holding the money over your head to make you dance like a monkey. I'd say she can have the current sign at a discounted price (discount is basically the same as the cost to do the reprint & install), with payment due immediately or she can have a new sign, at the originally agreed price, with payment due at the time of install.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino if the restaurant business is anything like it is here and with her people skills, you can take solace in that they will most likely go out of business before the ink in those prints have a chance to fully cure.
I already know that. Thing is, it's not a restaurant or anything like it. It's an illegal gambling place. They use legal state machines, but they make a ton more money placing side bets and paying out on other sequences. They have 7 or 8 machines and that's all it's about. They sell sodas, chips and some candy, but that's just a front.

Gonna take the sign face down, later this morning. Already printed out the new face yesterday and will make arrangements for her to be there when I put it in and request she has her checkbook ready at that time. The only problem with that is....... if she waits long enough to meet me there, she'll be outta business. That my biggest fear. :covereyes:

Stacey K

I like making signs

I never heard anyone besides my Dad say "diarrhea of the mouth" :roflmao: (must be a Dutch thing lol)

Billct2

wow, I get why you're reprinting and I would do the same. Too bad she's not a real restaurant, it'd be great to get a huge catered order for the shop and then refuse to pay because it wasn't exactly right.
"These tacos don't look like the picture on the menu" Of course you could always drop a dime on her to the state authorities.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, it's back in and I don't see any imperfections, no bubbles, no wrong artwork, no scratches, no wrong colors, no nothin'.

electric 724.jpg