• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oh I see....you can record my calls, but i can't record yours? WTF!!!

gabagoo

Called my credit card company today as the bank employee who switched me from one rewards card to a different one said the points from the previous card would be switched to the new card.....didn't happen when I opened my first statement...

OK so I called the banks credit card division and she goes through the usual security questions... She then says that I have to answer yes or no to accept the call to be recorded for quality and training purposes....What a load of BS.
In any case I said yes and asked her if she would accept the fact that I was recording the call as well. She said if I was recording the call she could not speak to me!!
OH I see...You can record me, but I can't record you...so you have info as to what I said in the conversation, but I can't have the same info..... I have no recording device and was joking to see what would be said.....she was dead serious and would not talk to me until I agreed to turn off the recording device.... REALLY!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Shoulda said, hey chief..... inspector, they don't wanna be recorded.......... now start laughing into the phone. :Big Laugh

brycesteiner

OK so I called the banks credit card division and she goes through the usual security questions... She then says that I have to answer yes or no to accept the call to be recorded for quality and training purposes....What a load of BS.
In any case I said yes and asked her if she would accept the fact that I was recording the call as well. She said if I was recording the call she could not speak to me!!
REALLY!!

It's okay to record as long as one party knows it. In this case both parties know it because she asked you and you gave permission. Therefore, you can record even without asking because the representative already knows it's being recorded.

Pat Whatley

I'm sure she said something along the lines of "This call is being recorded for blah, blah, blah." Sounds enough like permission to me, she never specified who would be doing the recording.

shoresigns

It's okay to record as long as one party knows it. In this case both parties know it because she asked you and you gave permission. Therefore, you can record even without asking because the representative already knows it's being recorded.

Wrong. Federal law is that at least one party must know that it's being recorded. State laws are sometimes stricter (i.e. all parties must be made aware) and if the credit card company is calling you from another state, then it's probably the state with the stricter laws that would need to be followed.

Sidenote: I'm Canadian and I have no idea why I remember random facts like this that are of no consequence to me.

brycesteiner

Wrong. Federal law is that at least one party must know that it's being recorded. State laws are sometimes stricter (i.e. all parties must be made aware) and if the credit card company is calling you from another state, then it's probably the state with the stricter laws that would need to be followed.

Sidenote: I'm Canadian and I have no idea why I remember random facts like this that are of no consequence to me.

Like I said, both sides already know it's being recorded, so it's no problem.

gabagoo

The point is that they will not talk to you unless the conversation is recorded so that they can throw it back in your face when you deny the service or the requests. Now had I had the original conversation recorded with the bank officer when setting up the new account, I would have clear evidence that he told me something that is not true and they would be expected to live up to the promise or at least compensate me. As it sits now, it's his word against mine.

Once again the consumer is squeezed under the rule of the large conglomerate.

Marlene

The point is that they will not talk to you unless the conversation is recorded so that they can throw it back in your face when you deny the service or the requests. Now had I had the original conversation recorded with the bank officer when setting up the new account, I would have clear evidence that he told me something that is not true and they would be expected to live up to the promise or at least compensate me. As it sits now, it's his word against mine.

Once again the consumer is squeezed under the rule of the large conglomerate.

can you ask for a copy of he recording?

Billct2

Kinda like a friend of mine who went to a deposition for a lawsuit and put his recorder on the table next to theirs.
They wanted him to shut it off and he refused. End of deposition.