• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old sign I found in my new house

Fanaticus

Found this in my new (to me) house....

Not sure how old it is, but the creamery was around 1939-ish.

Attachments

• IMG_0170.JPG
    IMG_0170.JPG
    349.3 KB · Views: 78

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Found this in my new (to me) house....

Not sure how old it is, but the creamery was around 1939-ish.

You sure of the spelling (creamery)?

How big is the furnace in the basement?
:omg:

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• tumblr_ld5x0i1kcW1qb0lxro1_500_large.jpg
    tumblr_ld5x0i1kcW1qb0lxro1_500_large.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 43

Speedsterbeast

Are you sure that wasn't a brand new sign done last week by _____________ (enter the name of the person you want to jab here)

SignosaurusRex

Is it single sided or double? It may have been manufactured right there in Fort Atkinson by the "Creamery Package Manufacturing Co." A supplier to the dairy industry, they had both, an "Enameling" shop as well as an extensive metal fabrication & machine shop. They were located in what is more recently known as "The Creamery Bldg" at 201 N. Main St.

CrabbyOldGuy

Looks to be enamel with embossing. We have old signs we made from years past. Also have some old plates used for embossing and rubber transfer. Rather amazing how clean some of the lettering was without using type or computers. I would suspect the sign is not as old as you would expect though. Looks like late 40's or early 50's to me.

Fanaticus

Things are going well in the new house. Here's a link to the now "off market" real estate listing for it... http://www.trulia.com/homes/Wiscons...43474-1439-Lakeview-Dr-Fort-Atkinson-WI-53538

Unpacking slowly, cleaning A LOT.

History:

Built in 1979. The first owner lived there about 1 year before being transferred. 2nd owners were a retired couple in their mid 60's. The husband passed several (10?) years ago. The wife passed about 3 years ago at the age of 95. Their son inherited the house, but had no interest in it. He held onto it, kept the heat turned on, ran the water, etc to keep it "healthy".

I do not believe they ever cleaned or vacuumed during the last 15-20 years. Seriously.

As for the sign, it was found in the garage. The old man used the garage as a tinkering workshop - bird houses and small wood projects. It doesn't appear he was particularly talented, but he enjoyed it.

The sign was smooshed behind an old cabinet that looked as if it was made from an old outhouse. In order to park in the garage I had to tear out all the shelving and cabinets he had put up... the wood was rotting and not usable for anything really, other than burning.

Yes, the Creamery was/is a huge building and gave fort Atkinson an economic boost for the era. For the most part, it has remained mostly unoccupied for as along as I remember (30 years?). It's going through a restoration (http://www.creamerybuilding.com/) and is also for sale (http://www.mlgcommercial.com/properties/propDetails.cfm?psID=1817).

The sign is single sided, dirty, and rusted. Is there really anything I can do to preserve it in the state it's in (to prevent further deterioration) without ruining it or lowering any value it may have.

It's likely not really worth anything, but I grew up in Fort Atkinson, as did my dad, and grand parents, and great grand parents, and my great-great-grandfather built one of the first houses that is still standing (in rough condition) on downtown Robert st. , so find some sentimental value in it. There's a lot of family history in this little town for me.

petesign

Cool, did the house come with everything in the pics? That old washing machine could be retooled as a laminator better than my daige!

gabagoo

Call American Pickers. they will pay you thousands for it.
Don't call pawn Stars, they will give you $12 for it!!!

:ROFLMAO:

signage

Or you could hire Rick from Rick's Restorations and pay him $500 to restore it and he will tell you it is worth $1,000.