• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

old sign removal

signwizz

i have a company that wants me to remove old chuck e cheese exterior signs how do i go about pricing it, never had to do this before or what to look for when pricing
thanx shane

Billct2

Here's the formula....
H x R + F = Cost
where H is how many hours
times R your hourly rate
plus the F factor for screw ups
equals your price.

Mosh

i have a company that wants me to remove old chuck e cheese exterior signs how do i go about pricing it, never had to do this before or what to look for when pricing
thanx shane

The whole structure or just the faces. Experience is about the only way on something like this. We get $150 per hour for our truck and two guys, min one hour. You can get alot done in an hour. Be sure the power is unhooked by someone with a electician lisence.

Knowing the Chuckies around here It shouldn't take more than two hours to do. Do you have a service truck?

signwizz

no i dont ill have to use scaffolding its the mouse logo no letters complete removal and just marrett the wiring and put in holes
thanx shane

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
if you don't have experience in the removal of these types of signs, i would suggest not taking the job and explaining this to the customer.....i personally don't have experience with the removal of a sign like this, but i do know of a local company i would suggest the customer contact directly....and that's exactly what i'd tell the customer..

Craig Sjoquist

..What's the problem, ... Do you have mechanical knowledge, do you have help mainly weight and or balance of course safety these things get heavy and strange.

With scaffold it's easier cause you can lower the logo safely at yours & other persons pace, of course undo electric 1st, then unbolt you see what ya need to do.

Great thing about that market if you can afford the cost of any errors, you can also charge a good hourly rate

kinda funny they moan less about install & uninstall then making of there advertisement

John L

Signwizz... why not refer for a small fee to someone with equipment? You will make more than the guy who does the work.

When you are on the ground looking up at this stuff it's really easy to think.. "well, this aint nothing - I'll yank that down and be out in an hour". In reality this might not be any trouble at all, or it might be the biggest trouble you have ever been a part of.

Sometimes, it kinda comes to you all at once. You are on the scaffold, up on the balls of your feet, keeping your balance. Man, this thing looks bigger up close. You got this pig set to fly, one last bolt to pull, last couple of threads. Bolts out and it still aint coming off. One hand on the mouse head (find a good spot without all the bird crap) and one hand on the scaffold - WHAT THE ....? It busts loose all at once, kinda still half hangin by the greenfield. Cut your good hand on the return notches. Change yer shorts at that McDonald's bathroom across the parking lot while the scaffold stops shaking back and forth. You're not looking too professional right now brother but your gonna get this done.

I got all the crap it takes to do it and I still hate doing it. Mouse head to the ground... $600 +- local.

Mosh

DO NOT try to take this down off scaffolding. There has to be someone, even a construction co with a boom. You are just asking for trouble, some signs at 3 lbs and some the same size are 500 lbs.

onesource

If you have not done any then don't. Just because you're in the sign biz doesn't mean you attack anything that's a sign. Might bite you.

Marlene

how high off the ground? on a pole or building? how big is the sign? access? do you need to block a sidewalk or public area? I ask that as some places require an obstruction permit. they don't cost a lot but if required, you may be told to shut down the job until you get one. it's the little nickel and dime stuff like that that also needs to be considered in your quote.

encadtech

One of the things that I have had to get owners to understand is that we do sign work that we are good at. You wouldn't ask your doctor to fix your car. Get a relationship with a local company that has a truck, experienced installer, insurance, electrical license, etc. I am not saying give the work away - instead take a 25% markup on your subs work and project manage the job to make your customer happy. Good subs will make you a better sign provider and make your life simpler.

skyhigh

When you are on the ground looking up at this stuff it's really easy to think.. "well, this aint nothing - I'll yank that down and be out in an hour". In reality this might not be any trouble at all, or it might be the biggest trouble you have ever been a part of.

Sometimes, it kinda comes to you all at once. You are on the scaffold, up on the balls of your feet, keeping your balance. Man, this thing looks bigger up close. You got this pig set to fly, one last bolt to pull, last couple of threads. Bolts out and it still aint coming off. One hand on the mouse head (find a good spot without all the bird crap) and one hand on the scaffold - WHAT THE ....? It busts loose all at once, kinda still half hangin by the greenfield. Cut your good hand on the return notches. Change yer shorts at that McDonald's bathroom across the parking lot while the scaffold stops shaking back and forth. You're not looking too professional right now brother but your gonna get this done.

I got all the crap it takes to do it and I still hate doing it. Mouse head to the ground... $600 +- local.

Now thats some funny stuff. Done that a time or two John?

I think the OP should give it a shot. Its doable with scaffolding, just have a couple helpers.

Guys don't think that way fenris. :ROFLMAO:

but we should.

i know a quicky sticky sign company that does great work within the scope of work they are capable of doing...

a customer of theirs asked them to remove an existing electrical pole sign on the side of the road they called me and asked for a quote and they told me they couldn't justify the expense and they literally said...'how hard could it be'...

so they rented a bucket truck and having no experience by their own admission got it setup on site(haha)...with the client watching they apparently had a brief moment of realization and thought that they may be in over their heads...

so they picked up the phone and asked me once again if i could do the project for less money, once again they told me that they could not justify my price and why did i think that i should be paid more to remove a sign 40' + off the ground versus a sign on the ground...

so they bit the bullet and the owner with two (yes 2) helpers climbed in the bucket together. the owner told me that the bolts holding it in place were very tight so they decided to grind them off...unable to hold the sign in place (and lacking the experience or common sense) they had failed to secure the sign in any manner...

well they got the sign down and in record time... gravity helped them quite a bit...the sign fell to the ground landing broadside and shattering on the parking lot below missing the rental truck by less than 2 feet.

with the client standing in the parking lot watching the entire 'ordeal'.

signage

that's why women will always be better.....:loveya:

.....and have all their fingers, toes...you know...vital body parts!

no no no the only reason women will have all their fingers, toes, etc. is because you get us to do all the hard and dangerous things!:ROFLMAO:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
no no no the only reason women will have all their fingers, toes, etc. is because you get us to do all the hard and dangerous things!

hard? yes.....dangerous? no....danger is too much fun!

Since when are fingers and toes your vital parts ??
not sure about you, but i need my fingers in order to type, so that's important to me....

makes ya wonder though....could you walk without toes??:wink:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They got wheel chairs..... and secretaries to write for you or voice activated machines these days.

Don't need any digits or toes to get around. Does it make it easier ?? You bet, but not vital. j/k

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
They got wheel chairs..... and secretaries to write for you or voice activated machines these days.

Don't need any digits or toes to get around. Does it make it easier ?? You bet, but not vital. j/k

what would you consider vital parts then?!?:omg2: