• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ordered reflective vinyl and it is tunneling

gabagoo

Can one assume that if reflective vinyl if while going through the plotter to be cut gets tunnels right accross the sheet lifting the material close to 1/2" in the air that the stock is old? I just ordered this stuff in and I could see when I loaded it that within the first 12" a tunnel had formed so I moved my start cut beyond that, but about 2 yards in another one. What gives? and no it is not 3m but this Japanese brand, cant recall the name, it is usually rebranded.

TheSnowman

Every roll of that I've ever cut has done that. So either everything I get in is old, or it's just what it does. It seems to just want to be in that "roll" mode, and not like to lay flat until it's been weeded...and even then it's still stiff.

Billct2

I've cut ton of reflective (3M/Gerber/Arlon) and can't remember the last time i had a tunneling problem.
Polyester is a different story.

Jim Doggett

Can one assume that if reflective vinyl if while going through the plotter to be cut gets tunnels right accross the sheet lifting the material close to 1/2" in the air that the stock is old? I just ordered this stuff in and I could see when I loaded it that within the first 12" a tunnel had formed so I moved my start cut beyond that, but about 2 yards in another one. What gives? and no it is not 3m but this Japanese brand, cant recall the name, it is usually rebranded.

Sounds like it's "engineering grade," which is great when cutting with a flatbed and going onto flat, or very slightly curved, surfaces. Nice and reflective but brittle as heck.

A softer, so called "flexible reflective," is best for standard vinyl cutters. Plus it can be applied to curved surface.

Best,

Jim

gabagoo

Sounds like it's "engineering grade," which is great when cutting with a flatbed and going onto flat, or very slightly curved, surfaces. Nice and reflective but brittle as heck.

A softer, so called "flexible reflective," is best for standard vinyl cutters. Plus it can be applied to curved surface.

Best,

Jim

No Jim it is vehicle grade, 7 year. I guess it could be the silicone paper is just a little to siliconey?

The problem is its to tight on a roll. Unwrap what you need, reroll it on a full roll of vinyl. Let it sit overnight so it "relaxes" (carefull though, my red reflective took 3 beers from my fridge) then put again through your plotter.

Should solve your problem, it did for us.

Gene@mpls

I have that problem printing on Oracal 5600- especially as you near the
last 10-15 yards of the roll. Never on 3m/Gerber 280 BTW.

gabagoo

I have that problem printing on Oracal 5600- especially as you near the
last 10-15 yards of the roll. Never on 3m/Gerber 280 BTW.

yup 3M never tunnels and it is the choice of refelctive, but these kits I am doing required dark blue strips and although you can order 3M slit down, the cost and wait time is to much and to long so I went with the other brand. I would also like to say that 3M by far weeds 10 times easier than any other brand I have tried, and for this the extra cost justifies its use.