• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outrageous!!!

futuredcon

Just got an e mail from Advantage sign supply with a request to extend the warranty on my 1 year old JV33 that I purchased from them.
Is this standard Parts only No labor is included.Damn a car warranty is cheaper than this.This is the e mail:
Mimaki JV33-130 SN **********

I wanted to let you know that according to our records the factory warranty on the above printer will be expiring 04/25/2009. The extended warranty coverage is parts only and runs $2000.00 for an additional year. I have attached the extended warranty agreement and the terms and conditions for your review.
If you would like to order coverage please complete the attached extended warranty agreement and fax it back to me at ************. At that time I can process this on your account.
Please contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Advantage Sign Supply, Inc.

particleman

wow, parts only.. parts and labor I could understand that number. Seeing how reliable our JV3s are I would say you are safe NOT spending that.

Big House Signs

I got it...but it was 1800...renewal was in November a very slowww time for us, one of the reasons it was a hard candy christmas. Oh and to get free technical over the phone and on site service (Minimum charge $350) we have to maintain 1000 a month in orders of digital material and inks. They got us good. I dont see any other alternative...I surely am not going to change a head myself. In the first year one of the heads had to be replaced and I was mighty glad it was still under warranty. It's one of our built in expenses. It kinda sucks.
Paula

Case

wow, parts only.. parts and labor I could understand that number. Seeing how reliable our JV3s are I would say you are safe NOT spending that.

and LABOR?? haha your nuts....

printhead dies??? $2500 bucks............fry your mainboard. $3000-$4000..........

It's just like having health insurance for yourself and you never go to the doctor.........But ONE day, the time will come and you will need it.....

Call up the manufacturer and ask them what their labor costs are and they are way more than any distributer.....

JV3's and JV33's are reliable.........But a lot of people who buy the machines are not.... Who would kick in labor on an extended warranty when you have people who abuse simple daily maintenance and want distributers to come out and fix their machines every day....???

Case

iSign

I paid it for the last 2 years...
...year before last I only needed a $35 sensor mailed to me...

...then this winter, I needed print heads... got 4 heads installed, pumps, dampers... got a little training too... I just paid a $1000 for travel costs!

futuredcon

I paid it for the last 2 years...
...year before last I only needed a $35 sensor mailed to me...

...then this winter, I needed print heads... got 4 heads installed, pumps, dampers... got a little training too... I just paid a $1000 for travel costs!

JV33 Has only 1 head, Dampers are not included in warranty as fas as Advantage are concerned, And for a grand travel costs I could have a long weekend in Bahamas for that, you sure the tech isn,t doing the same on your expense.

iSign

no, my tech had a long weekend here on Maui!
Why should I care?

...the guy spent 8 hours installing every part required to make my 3-1/2 year old printer just like new again, and let us watch, shoot video & ask questions. He also helped us to set up presets in Flexi 8, and showed us some of the more complex calibration procedures, & trained us on a few other things as well.

In my opinion, I got more value than I spent for the last 2 years of service contracts... and I still have over half a year coverage before i most likely will invest again.

Sure it's expensive, but so are the alternatives. Like other insurance... it's always going to cost something eventually... I just chose to go the nore predictable route 7 try to build those costs into the cost of doing business.

Techman

my encad had their warranty plan,, i needed a tech,, he came by and spent a few hours making my machine like new again. the warranty was worth it just for that instance.

The lost production alone at that time would have cost me more than the year plan.

Since then its been thru a major beating from a hurricane and getting dropped in a move. IT still runs just fine. The warranty was worth every penny.

Its worth it if you run your machine weekly. run it for a year,, and call the guy the least few weeks and have him out to tune it up..

iSign

In my case, I bought the equipment from them, and all my supplies for 3-1/2 years... so they do try to take good care of me, but they don't want to come out if I just call because the service contract is about to expire... they want to have print tests & samples sent to them.. so they are the ones who decide if they are willing to make the trip. they don't always charge me the full amount they could, so I accept their point of view regarding what it needs and when.

ChicagoGraphics

My warranty expired just over 2 years ago on my JV3, at the time I was offered a second 1 year warranty for $5000.00 parts and labor included. I passed on It was way to much and to this day the printer works like a charm.

Molenbeek

Unfortunately these are prices put out by Mimaki- not the distributors. Some distributors lower it and make you purchase a certain amount of $$ on a monthly basis to get that discount. We have no control over the costs associated with the warranty or the parts that are included. Mimaki considers the pumps and dampers as consumables and will not cover them. As was stated the printheads, boards, etc. are really what should be looked at for the warranty to cover the machines.

S

Sign-Man Signs

What we should be doing is making the manufactures and their distributors give us a 3 to 5 year warranty at time of purchase. Most machine run from 15k to 30k. I think that warrants a GOOD warranty.

threeputt

Isign, was it Dan? From Performance?

One day I was talking to him and I believe he said he'd just gotten back from Hawaii on a service call.

The industry standard for extended warranties on plotters has long been around 10 percent of the unit's list price / year. Typically they do include parts & labor for that price.

Interestingly, Roland is introdcing today at ISA significant decreases in extended warranty pricing, as low as $995/ year, depending on the program and printer. Says a lot about their confidence in their machines in my opinion.

Bob

Checkers

Like Techman said, the cost of being without the printer, for even a couple of days, could cost a lot more than the service contract.

When I printed in-house, a good service contract was a requirement and it paid for itself many times.

Checkers

Bill Modzel

Count your blessings. The HP9000s is $4,500. Includes labor though.
Haven't decided on re-upping this year. A grand more than last.