• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pantone / Adobe copyright issues

rjssigns

Adobe can "F" themselves right along with the owners of Pantone. Just another monthly vampire on your bottom line. "Just the cost of doing business" response I hear is getting old and way overused.

Going to be interesting when the "just the cost of doing business" people end up in a perpetual subscription hamster wheel.
I have a feeling it won't be long before you will no longer buy equipment but lease it and then have to pay monthly for the features you need.
Glad I'm on my way out.

You will own nothing and like it...

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I don't think it will be that serious. Perhaps they will convert them to cmyk/rgb equivalents or remove any reference to that specific name

rjssigns

Hopefully the open source movement has an answer to this. I can't imagine it being that hard for the right person, smarter than me, to build a universal, open source color matching system.
Not so much open source but I've been using Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo more and more. Only stumbling block to a full non-subscription set up would be the RIP.

CanuckSigns

“Pantone was unable to actively update the library to correct any changes to the color data or to update it with new colors,” Cheng told CreativePro. “We had to find a way to address user problems regarding these outdated libraries.”

So if I'm reading the article correctly, Adobe products were running on an outdated license for the last few years and were not able to get the newest PMS colours from Pantone, so Pantone decides the best way to deal with that is to pull all the pantone swatches from adobe products and start charging a monthly fee for them. What they should have done is left them alone and offer the up to date library as an add on service to those who need them. I can count on 1 hand them number of times I've been given a pantone that wasn't in my 10 year old swatch book.

This is going to really underline the issues with Adobe's subscription only always connected business model, people who subscribe will be forced to have their pantone libraries removed. My 4 year old copy of coreldraw will continue to work just fine, and at a 1 time fee of $400 to boot.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is happening in all industries. Instead of raising prices, people are charging for things we all took for granted were already ours.

Vehicles are starting to charge a monthly cost, to use features like 'speed control' and other like uses in the car.

This computer crap has really helped the world....................................... :rolleyes:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Seems like a business that has passed it's peak and is getting desperate. With the industry largely shifting to digital printing, how much need is really there for a proprietary set of colors? Unless you are screen or offset printing, why would you actually need spot colors? Even then, it would be easy enough to switch to a different standard like RAL. Most branding guidelines have CMYK and RGB values in them as well.

brdesign

Adobe can "F" themselves right along with the owners of Pantone. Just another monthly vampire on your bottom line. "Just the cost of doing business" response I hear is getting old and way overused.

Going to be interesting when the "just the cost of doing business" people end up in a perpetual subscription hamster wheel.
I have a feeling it won't be long before you will no longer buy equipment but lease it and then have to pay monthly for the features you need.
Glad I'm on my way out.

You will own nothing and like it...
Car manufacturers are already talking about a system where you don't actually own the car, you just buy the rights to use it while the manufacturer is still the owner.

CanuckSigns

Car manufacturers are already talking about a system where you don't actually own the car, you just buy the rights to use it while the manufacturer is still the owner.
BMW just announced that they will start offering addons such as heated seats, remote start etc. as a monthly subscription, so every BMW made will be built fully loaded, but then certain addons will be deactivated at time of purchase depending on what you choose to "rent" from them

Johnny Best

That is called leasing, I lease a car, don't own it, just pay a monthly fee to use it for 3 years.

rjssigns

Vinfast an upstart EV manufacturer is looking at leasing you the battery pack. From what I've seen their vehicles won't be any cheaper than if you bought another brand outright.

In the "old days" manufacturers depended on selling as many units as possible.
Those units then became what's known as an "installed base".
That installed base brought revenue in the form of service and/or service contracts and is the real revenue stream.

That is slowly coming to an end as they know they hold the literal keys for a person to run a business or run to the store and will charge for every last bit of it.
The BS "spin" has already started and will only ramp up to soften the masses into acceptance.

The whole trend of subscription everything is troubling and is nothing more than veiled extortion.