• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paving dump truck printed vinyl failing

jeffkics

Sign Says
Can anyone tell me why my print failed on this dump truck? It has turned a brownish color.
It is 3m IJ180C-10 laminated with gloss. Printed with UV latex.

Print is about 2 years old. Much worse on one side than the other as seen in attached pictures.

Customer want me to replace of course. It has happened on this truck, and looks like it is happening on the 2 other trucks I have done for him since this one. Both about a year ago.

What to do?!?!

IMG_1414.jpg IMG_1416.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 1,558
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 1,158

jeffkics

Sign Says
Are they hauling mix or dirt? Only thing I can think is the heat of the mix could be causing it.

350 degrees is what he says the asphalt temp is. that's the first thing I thought of, but his response was all his competitors have these graphics on and they all look great.

TimToad

Can anyone tell me why my print failed on this dump truck? It has turned a brownish color.
It is 3m IJ180C-10 laminated with gloss. Printed with UV latex.

Print is about 2 years old. Much worse on one side than the other as seen in attached pictures.

Customer want me to replace of course. It has happened on this truck, and looks like it is happening on the 2 other trucks I have done for him since this one. Both about a year ago.

What to do?!?!

IMG_1414.jpg IMG_1416.jpg

Did someone at the shop accidentally laminate it with a lesser grade of laminate?

Are the affected trucks always parked with the affected side in the direct sun?

What are the specs on the laminate for UV Latex?

How did you do the yellow text that doesn't appear to be affected? Cut vinyl?

If it was heat related, wouldn't both sides be burnt simultaneously?

DerbyCitySignGuy

I think Tim's on the right track. You're looking at UV burnt vinyl. Even the yellow text appears to be a little burned on the edges.

My guess is either the wrong laminate, a laminate failure, or they park that truck in a way that it's getting the sun on that one side all day, every day.

FatCat

Dealing with this issue as well - I believe it's definitely the asphalt, even though it shows worse on one side than the other. Could be the way it is loaded and more of the load is getting placed on one side of the bed vs. the other? The thing is IJ-180 specs out at max heat about 275 degrees IIRC, and my customer said at the time the plant was producing asphalt around 275-300 degrees. We ran graphics for several years without issue then 2 years ago this started happening. Found out that the plant was upping the temps and the asphalt was coming out around 350 degrees and was cooking the vinyl. Nothing I am aware of will withstand those temps for long term purposes.

Right now we are looking at adding some kind of insulator between the bed and the graphics. Not sure how it will work out, will try to report back later on our findings....

jeffkics

Sign Says
Scotchcal 8519 lam
All of the graphics on the truck are printed and contour cut. only the graphics on dump body are being affected.
I have stripes on the cab and hood that look perfect on both sides.

jeffkics

Sign Says
Dealing with this issue as well - I believe it's definitely the asphalt, even though it shows worse on one side than the other. Could be the way it is loaded and more of the load is getting placed on one side of the bed vs. the other? The thing is IJ-180 specs out at max heat about 275 degrees IIRC, and my customer said at the time the plant was producing asphalt around 275-300 degrees. We ran graphics for several years without issue then 2 years ago this started happening. Found out that the plant was upping the temps and the asphalt was coming out around 350 degrees and was cooking the vinyl. Nothing I am aware of will withstand those temps for long term purposes.

Right now we are looking at adding some kind of insulator between the bed and the graphics. Not sure how it will work out, will try to report back later on our findings....

What kind of insulator?

equippaint

My money is on the heat too but something else to consider is what type of cleaning or release agents they use on the bed sides to remove any residual tar. Some of these asphalt guys are fanatical about keeping their trucks clean.

jeffkics

Sign Says
My money is on the heat too but something else to consider is what type of cleaning or release agents they use on the bed sides to remove any residual tar. Some of these asphalt guys are fanatical about keeping their trucks clean.
Yes they are. He told me just soap and water. and a solvent like gasoline on the drips that he might get.
I tend to agree that they pull up and get the load on the same side each time, leading to a buildup on one side higher than the other.
If the vinyl is getting baked then there needs to be some kind of warning that it should not be used on Paving vehicles or any where the temp is going to be above 300. I'm sure we don't really think of this as being a potential problem. I guess if you think you are using premium vinyl with premium lam that this kind of thing should not be a concern.
Its gonna cost me big time.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I know that high temp vinyl exists (I saw something about vinyl being used for brake calipers that could take up to 400 degrees), but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

OhioSigns

I know that high temp vinyl exists (I saw something about vinyl being used for brake calipers that could take up to 400 degrees), but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.
In the 2018 Fellers catalog they are showing calipers being wrapped using 680CR reflective.

Clem’s

Most companies that haul asphalt use diesel to clean the bed maybe that deteriorated the lam? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk