• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

People who are jealous of you

Letterbox Mike

You seem like a cool guy, we've talked a few times on here and you definitely seem eager to learn this business, so don't take this the wrong way...

If you've got people starting an "I Hate Scarface" fan page on Facebook or wherever, you need to tone it down a considerable amount. Occasionally mentioning to friends how lucrative your business is or even discussing the finer points of your margins and you pricing structure with people leading them to believe or understand that you make a healthy profit and are doing well for yourself is one thing. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this isn't happening because you're laid back and casual about it... You must have really said something (or alot of things) that came off as arrogant, braggy, etc..

Sign Maniac's post is the best in this thread. Nobody needs to know anything about you beyond you do good work and are eager to help them. Period. Nobody wants or cares to know how much money you make, how well you do, how many toys you have, etc., unless it's specifically pertinent to a conversation you are engaged in, and even then less is more. Broadcasting your success to the general public is a no-no in business. Hell, I've actually fired customers for bragging about how well off they are. People don't want to hear about it, they don't care, and to say it rubs them the wrong way is an understatement.

Harsh, maybe, but true. Congratulations on your success, honestly. It's a great thing and I'm sure it has a lot to do with your attitude towards life and your desire to constantly improve. I'm genuinely happy for you, as are most members of this forum I'm sure. We're all here to support each other. But with that said, don't expect the rest of the world to take as kindly to it...

CheapVehicleWrap

Out here there are a few companies who rent exotic cars by the day, week, month. If there are any by you, maybe you could rent a Bentley or Lamborghini for the weekend. Maybe do a partial wrap on it with your company name. 100 dollar bills littering a soy bean field could be a good theme. Sumthin subtle you know, but just enough to let them know you da' man.

S

scarface

Reason they even know about what i do is many are old friends that decided to turn against me. I don't go around saying oh i bought this and that.

Oh well, the majority are jobless so ef'em

DRamm76

I wouldn't even sweat it. Your talents speak for themselves. I guess jealousy really is a disease. I get a lot of that from other so called "dealers" in the NJ territory, but hey..that's another story.

Best thing you can do is keep doing what you're doing. Give someone enough rope and they will eventually hang themselves!

R08

"because i brag about making good money (haha!) compared to their status i guess."

"Oh well, the majority are jobless so ef'em "

Do you think you could be coming off as a little arrogant and condescending to your 'friends'

... just sayin.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I believe most of this is pretty good sound advice. It's not good to be bragging about yourself all the time..... however, don't sell yourself short.

Nobody wants to do business with a half-out-a-work has-been or a wanna-be-in a-business person who is unsure of him/herself.

People want to get the best bang for their buck and if you act and appear to be a successful business person... you will attract successful business customers. Your prices must remain fair and competitive and you must have a golden tongue and reassure these potential customers that you are the right person for them to spend their advertising dollars.

I don't think I've ever done business with someone whom I didn't know anything about at all. Also, if someone asks you about yourself.... keep business cards and brochures with you all the time so they can read about you rather than you spouting off.... sounding like a used car salesman.

Besides, in these hard economic times.... so many people are asking me.... HOW'S BUSINESS ?? You tell the truth, but try not to brag about it, but be informative and learn how to toot your own horn without sounding like a smart-aleck.

When asked, I am not ashamed in any way, shape or form to say we are having some of our best years since 2006-7. We are, but when I talk about it... I'm genuine and some people ask... what are you doing different ?? So, I tell them, Nothing. We'll talk a little further and then I'll change the subject or go on to another subject. If they stray back again... I try to steer it away quickly. No one likes a self centered prick no matter how much they keep asking you.

tintguy31794

just from reading your post i'd so your an ass clown... there is some good advice in here regarding protecting yourself in the future and going in to damage control... I would do this asap. live and learn

Love the video

wrapman jamz

Ah man, that was WRONG........."the majority are jobless so ef'em"

Wow, imagine one of those "jobless" friends finding work at a major corporation and one day havin' beers with the marketing director....hey, I need signs for my fleet of 1000 tractor trailers, know anybody?

Ah ef'em

SignManiac

There's a fine line between being a self assured confident business person with a dash of humility and being an arrogant self centered insecure egotistical schmuck!

In the course of my lifetime, I've been both. You too will eventually learn when wisdom comes of age.

Last edited:

dwt

The answer I use for "How's business?" is always 'Oh, it's steady. How about yourself?'

Like Gino said, shift the focus. Find out what their needs are and how you can provide a product they may not even know they need.

Whatever you do, stop telling non-business related 'friends' about your affairs.

Dice

Friend of mine runs a 9 million dollar business, makes about 400-500k a year. Bought a 400k house for himself, then built 4 houses around him each for one of his kids, each over 300k. All paid for in Cash.

He drives an old beat up truck to work each day. I asked him once why he drives such a crap truck to the office, he told me If he drives some fancy car all of his employees start asking for raises. He never brags.

You brag, you're asking for trouble.

R08

Friend of mine runs a 9 million dollar business, makes about 400-500k a year. Bought a 400k house for himself, then built 4 houses around him each for one of his kids, each over 300k. All paid for in Cash.

He drives an old beat up truck to work each day. I asked him once why he drives such a crap truck to the office, he told me If he drives some fancy car all of his employees start asking for raises. He never brags.

You brag, you're asking for trouble.

:goodpost:

Then there are those that look like they're flush but everything is mortgaged to the hilt and they can't afford breakfast.

I'd rather be the guy you described

Dice

On the flip side, one of my old Bosses bought a new Ferrari drove it for a month then decided he wanted a Lambo, drove that for a month, then decided he would keep both. Spent money like crazy and bragged about it.

He is now bankrupt running from the government on tax evasion.

tomence

Just keep doing what you do the best and like the others said don't talk to much know when to stop talking. Also if you can buy things in cash buy them i was never a fan of getting loans and s&^t like that, why would i pay 7-10% interest. I don't know why is better to get a loan then pay in cash. If you have a house or rent a condo and have a car and money for food, you don't need loans, buy the time you pay something off that thing is not worth anything and you have to pay 30% more than if you paid in cash. Also having no bills is better coz if there is no work you don't have to worry about making payments on time. You can always make enough to survive.

iSign

...if you can buy things in cash buy them i was never a fan of getting loans and s&^t like that,...

...If you have a house or rent a condo and have a car and money for food, you don't need loans...

so, you have a house?
who gave it to you?

..most of us need loans to take bigger risks & play in bigger leagues... some day you'll understand...