• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Please help with layout.

petesign

I'd try - but after signmaniac's logo, id be all like...

Attachments

• hunny.jpg
    hunny.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 94

SignManiac

What I don't like about the one I designed is the maple leaves. I would find something more suitable if it were me. I don't see what it really has to do with honey. I just tried to work with what the original layout and show improvement over the OP design.

Also without knowing the client and there personality, I might go with something entirely different. John's is more casual and fun, whereas mine is more formal looking. The beekeeper might be some back woods farmer for all I know and not want to project a very formal rigid design. Lots of questions need answering before you can begin to design the perfect logo, label or brand.

What I don't like about the one I designed is the maple leaves. I would find something more suitable if it were me. I don't see what it really has to do with honey. I just tried to work with what the original layout and show improvement over the OP design.

The Oak leaves were in there because of Oak Fall Farm. But I agree they are not needed. You don't need a graphic for every name on there. You wouldn't put clipart of a valley in there because it says Sani Pass Valley.

SignManiac

:thumb:I went back and changed up the graphic more to my line of thinking. This has a better feel to me.

P.S. Nice Job Tiki as usual

Attachments

• Sani Pass Valley2.jpg
    Sani Pass Valley2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 97

phototec

:thumb:I went back and changed up the graphic more to my line of thinking. This has a better feel to me.

Pretty nice design, however I have a few comments, like everyone, I have my opinions.

The drop shadow on the "Organic Honey" text, looks a little to heavy and over powering for the font size.

I don't like the sharp edges on the organic honey band as it turns to go back around the label, looks FLAT like a fold.

Overall, a good design, and you kept the borders all uni-form, which is something others didn't do.

:clapping:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Whew-wee..... I really like it, but I think you need to make it more South Africa-ish............. since no one likes African Killer Bees, I thought I'd add this little rascal.

Attachments

• african honey.jpg
    african honey.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 100

signmeup

Nice designs guys. I've never seen a phone number on a jar of honey. Who the hell is gonna haul their phone out in a grocery store and dial that?

SignManiac

Pretty nice design, however I have a few comments, like everyone, I have my opinions.

The drop shadow on the "Organic Honey" text, looks a little to heavy and over powering for the font size.

I don't like the sharp edges on the organic honey band as it turns to go back around the label, looks FLAT like a fold.

Overall, a good design, and you kept the borders all uni-form, which is something others didn't do.

:clapping:

Good observations. It's sometimes easier to see things from a different perspective. When designing, you can easily get stuck on the forest and miss the trees. It doesn't help either when you are rushing like I usually do on these little design collaborations.

Here are the changes based on your suggestions. I think they do improve the design.

Attachments

• Sani Pass Valley2.jpg
    Sani Pass Valley2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 102

Fatboy

Once again I am bowled over with the generosity of time and advice (which in this industry is a serious commodity). Thank you so much to anyone that contributed to this threat.

To SignManiac
.....Bru you rock in a way that makes the universe pause in awe!
In the best way I know I will now honour you with these words.."Bayete Inkosi"
cause for real...you are the king of design.

To Ddarlak
Thank you for the ideas .....You are like rain on the savannah !

To Marlene
You carry yourself with the grace of an African Princess!You father are honoured to smile down on your face!

To SignmeUp
You carry your designing spear like a brave warrior! It will be an honour to go into battle with your shoulder touching mine!

To Suz
You like one of those raindrops on my wife's skin after a long walk in the rain.

To Bob
Straight like a spear. I respect that!

To Deaton Design
You came forth with a masterpiece that made the seven wonders of the world even more spectacular!

To Craig
Wise words ! The sound from your lips are like the smell from my wife's cooking pots!

To Coloradosigns
The leaves of the Mopani tree whispers your name through the African Bush!

To Oldgoatroper
With you I can go to war my friend and know that I will see my family again!

To Tikiboyz
You could paint the African sunset in green and it will still look like a masterpiece!

To Gill
Your tongue cuts like the mother in law off a drunken warrior the morning after victory was celebrated!

To Gino
Have that tooth pulled my brother

Last edited:

SignManiac

Fatboy, although I do appreciate your gratitude, I can tell you that I do not sit at the very top. I know of quite a few other designers on this forum who make me look just okay on any given day. I just happen to have the luxury of free time to screw off doing something that gives me pleasure, designing. So when these others do find a few minutes free to offer up advice and examples, we should all be thankful. These others I speak of are more than likely working on real paying task and I respect that. But I have seen the work of Rick, Joe, Deaton, Signmeup, Tiki, Jill, Dan and several others who on any given day can run circles around me. And I know there are other designers who may lurk this site and never submit anything, but trust me, some of them are the best you will find anywhere in the world. What I do is a burning passion that is sometimes a curse at times. Because I see all the little details in life that turn ordinary things into eyesores. You have no idea how frustrating it can be. I no doubt have a severe case of OCD and it drives me nuts and those around me nuts.

I will say, you certainly have a creative gift with words. So if there's any way you can transfer some of that creativity energy into sign design, then you have a good chance of improving considerably. Some of us in life are fortunate to have a creative side but most in life do not. It's true when most people you meet tell you they can't draw a straight line with a ruler.

I'll say this to you and anyone else following this thread, it's not much of a secret to those of us who take design very serious, fonts can make a huge difference in the outcome of your work... For those of you who are still working with only a few pre-installed MS publisher fonts on your computer, it's time to invest in some better fonts. As long as you keep using them, your work will look like the signs of everybody else.

The top font designers websites have all been mentioned here many times. Steve from SignFonts is a member here and many of his fonts are a must have. Think about it, if you should only spend $200 bucks a year on some new ones, in four years time you will have an outstanding collection. I'm sure everyone here on this site throws away $200 a year on everyday crap that does not pay returns on you investment. I myself wish I had a font for every beer I've drank over a lifetime. I would be the worlds richest font king! But even so, you still must learn how to use these awesome fonts in your designs. That is an art in and of itself.

If you take the design I created here and substitute every line of text with Times Roman, Brush Script and Avant Garde, it would not have the same feel or affect. Believe me when I say, the wrong font can ruin any good design.

Anyway, I hope you can glean some knowledge from all the submitted designs in this post. Each designer has their own style and interpretation of how your label should be laid out. None of them are right or wrong, just different interpretations...

Last edited: