• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Poster Board Help

tcorn1965

We have a large order (22,000) All weather Poster Board 22" x 28" folds to 14" x 22" signs. The problem we have is that the customer wants the signs folded and sealed/glued (not stapled) then shipped. Normally we just fold, ship and the customer staples the signs themselves. The problem we are having is that we cannot get any glue to stick the folded signs together. We have tried gorilla glue, liquid nails, dbl sided tape...No luck. I have searched the forums and did not find anything there. Have any of you out there ever had any luck sealing these Poster Boards. Unfortunately we have already shipped out 1500 stapled (Mis-communication somewhere) and may have to bite the bullet on those. :banghead:Any help would be greatly appreciated! I don't know if it matters but this are screen printed.

Terry

Billct2

I'm talking about the company. A few times I've had issues with an application and I have contacted their adhesives tech support and they solved the problem for me.
They have an adhesive for everything.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How about hot glue ?? You are gluing a paper possibly clay coated product, not plastics or vinyl products.

Pat Whatley

You're gonna go broke applying VHB to those between tape and labor.

Check with somebody like Glue Machinery for an automatic, or at least hot glue system.

(I'm sure there are 100 other companies like them and I've never bought from them. They just supplied the glue for the box sealers I lettered a while back and I remembered the name)

tcorn1965

We ordered some of the VHB to try out. Gino, we thought of the hot glue but thought it would be too labor intensive and might possibly warp the poster board (it is basically just a 24 ply coated poster board) Kinda like a thick beer carton, when setting after time. Thanks Bill I will also contact 3m adhesive techs. I always liked McGyver!

tcorn1965

You're gonna go broke applying VHB to those between tape and labor.

Check with somebody like Glue Machinery for an automatic, or at least hot glue system.

(I'm sure there are 100 other companies like them and I've never bought from them. They just supplied the glue for the box sealers I lettered a while back and I remembered the name)

Pat, so you think it would be less labor to glue than tape? Thanks for the Glue Machinery site. We are a little worried about the hot glue because of possible warping when setting. Have you had any experience with the hot glue application after time. This is a nice account for us if we can meet their expectations.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not as intensive as doing 1,500 over. Sometimes, you have to bid the job out, so you don't lose your butt if something goes wrong. I just found this out on an order were doing.

We ordered a particular product... based on the suppliers input and help. The product failed and now all we're hearing is.... well, it's not meant to be used that way and when I say.... you told me it was Okay.... he hides behind HIS fine print that was never discussed with me and is telling me too bad.

Pat Whatley

Pat, so you think it would be less labor to glue than tape?

I would think so. With the VHB you have to cut it, apply it, then pull the backing off. Glue would just be squirt and go.

Another option would be ATG tape from 3M. It's a double stick tape that you load into a "gun" That might actually be faster than VHB or glue.

No matter what you do it's gonna suck to be the guy who has to put down 22,000 strips of adhesive.

tcorn1965

Not as intensive as doing 1,500 over. Sometimes, you have to bid the job out, so you don't lose your butt if something goes wrong. I just found this out on an order were did.

Very true. When we (sales rep)talked to the consulting firm we (sales rep) told the firm that we could not seal the signs but we could staple them for them and do it for free...since we were getting such a big order, it was worth it. They were working with about 28 candidates, each paying for their own with a total of 22,000 signs altogether and it was the reps understanding from talking to the firm that staples would be ok. So we were paid for the first candidates order and we shipped, candidate was not happy, says not what they wanted, they wanted sealed. The firm said that was what they said too. Who knows? We will do whatever it takes to make right and keep business. We just don't want to make another mistake and eat some more signs! Hindsight we should have figured out if we could seal than quote, instead of quoting with the assumption that we could.
Terry

tcorn1965

Thanks all!!! We had enough of the coated poster board to fill this order on stock and was happy to finally be able to use it. When it wasn't working out we were going to order the 24 ply only coated on the print side then glue. I have been talking to the owner to get a subscription, or merchant member. When he asked where did I get this info I told him signs 101, they are a network of professional sign makers and designers, among other professionals, wraps, logo designers, etc. And they (signs 101 members) has saved my bacon a few times. He said "Really"? With all your help If we can make this happen, I think he would be favorable to a paid membership for us.
I will let you all know how this progresses.

Terry

Bill Modzel

Terry,
We screen the same product and deliver them flat and unstapled. I know that the back side of the board is somewhat impregnated and resists just about anything including ink.
Have you talked to the supplier for their suggestion?

The AGT gun and tape would certainly be the fastest solution if it will adhere.

How the heck to you fold these economically? I know of one supplier who sells them creased, but even that is something like 15¢ each.

tcorn1965

Terry,
We screen the same product and deliver them flat and unstapled. I know that the back side of the board is somewhat impregnated and resists just about anything including ink.
Have you talked to the supplier for their suggestion?

They said to get the poster board that is only coated on the print side.

The AGT gun and tape would certainly be the fastest solution if it will adhere.

How the heck to you fold these economically? I know of one supplier who sells them creased, but even that is something like 15¢ each.

Yes we sell ours creased, and we ship and the customer folds and staples themselves. We didn't charge any extra to fold and seal because it was such a large order we figured it was worth it. We are going to try the agt as well as the other tape.