• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pretty Cool Quote

loganBeckwithiv

I haven't posted on here much. I do however browse the forums quite a bit looking to gain knowledge where I can. Most of what I've gathered is it can get pretty hostile to post on here. Depending on the questions asked or statements posted. I've actually been reluctant to start any new topics because of that fact.

I'm just 20 years old. I've got my own small sign business started and I'm completely self employed. No I don't have a Gateway computer, some 12" China-Man cutter and a squeegee. I've got a Mimaki JV3-160, Royal Sovereign 54" Laminator, Rolland Cutter, and various other machines, tools, and decent software. I've got over $25k into what I've got. All bought and paid in full with my own money... While my friends are out buying new lifted trucks... I'm buying machines and supplies... (And yes I pay Taxes, Rent, Insurance, Heat, Electricity, have a DBA, etc.) Soon to be moving from my 750sq ft shop to a 2,500sq ft Shop. (Lease has been signed, keys in hand... Business is growing:rock-n-roll:). Very Excited.

Anyways, I've been reading through some old business management books, reading about product pricing strategies, and found a quote from the 1800's that stood out;

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”
― John Ruskin

I think this applies to the Sign Industry of today quite well.
It also reminded me of all the times I've already heard;
"INSERT COMPANY HERE can do it for way less!"
And then had to explain that there is a REASON why they are cheaper. I'm considering making a sign in my new shop that has the John Ruskin quote.

The number one thing I hate hearing is that they can get it cheaper somewhere else. People just don't get it I guess. But lucky for me I'm not afraid to turn people down if an understanding or compromise cannot be made. I've got the mentality that I'm either going to make decent money, or not do it at all. Also keep in mind that my pricing is fair. I worked at a sign shop prior for 3-4 years. I'm pretty good at quoting out jobs. Being young I feel that many of the clients I do work for feel they can push me around.

Sorry about all the fat^, just thought I'd explain myself a little and share a quote.

- LB

2B

Thanks for the insight and quote,

It is often easy to get lost in the price wars.

Marlene

When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done.

those are some very wise words. you sound like you are smart beyond your years. hope to see more of you on the site.

Ursta Graphics

Good quote! (12 years ago I started my shop with nothing at 20 yrs old as well... and I still have most of it left!) ;)

I have this quote hanging on the wall at my shop.

“I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor. It is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country.” - William McKinley

loganBeckwithiv

Thanks Guys:thumb:,

I'm looking to do well. My primary business is vehicle wraps. It's not a very saturated market here. Sometime soon I'll get around to posting some of my work.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Extremely happy to see a young man investing his time and money this way.

Continue to educate yourself not only in the "hands-on" part of your business, but also in the "business" part of your business.

In other words, work "ON" your business as you continue to work "IN" your business.

I'm right down the road from you in Hillsdale. I do stone and monument engraving instead of sign work.

JB

GypsyGraphics

hey Dan! come look... it's a "kinder, gentler S101!"

LB did it... without even posting a photo or name... and just the right amount of chutzpah!

GOOD JOB LB! :loveya:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Prima facie evidence that John Ruskin was into the mushrooms when and if he penned that bit of drivel.

Did it ever occur to anyone that the lowest bidder may be nothing more than that, the lowest bidder? Not a representative of the forces of darkness, just someone who can do the same thing cheaper.

When doing business with sufficient unknowns there is little difference in risk betwixt the lowest and the highest bidder.

Now then, there's a contingent of folk shoveling on this sand pile that seems to spend an inordinate amount of time telling each other as well as themselves just how special they are and generating entertaining but silly rationalizations as to just why that should be the case. This is invariably used to justify why their stuff, which is pretty much indistinguishable for anyone else's stuff, should command a higher price.

J

john1

LB, My hat is off to you for having your own legit business in your early 20's. I started my own business in my early 20's also, and am 25 now.

Much like you, while my friends are out doing a boring 9-5 job or buying cars and trucks with money they saved while living at home, i am out building relationships and making a name for myself. There is no better feeling.

Malkin

Did it ever occur to anyone that the lowest bidder may be nothing more than that, the lowest bidder? Not a representative of the forces of darkness, just someone who can do the same thing cheaper.
In some, or perhaps many, cases, the "same thing" is indeed functionally similar. In other cases there is a measurable difference. There is also a rather large scope of factors beyond the physical product being provided that adds or removes value.
The fact is that not every sign job is spec'ed out to the n'th degree. There is a certain level of trust that we will simply "do it right". If every customer knew precisely what to order, to exacting standards, and was capable of performing their own quality assurance, then yes it would all be the "same thing"

When doing business with sufficient unknowns there is little difference in risk betwixt the lowest and the highest bidder.
True enough, though it is highly unwise to proceed with a business arrangement that leaves that many unknowns.

lexsigns

you are wise beyond your years ! I started my in my mid twenties- If I knew then what I lknow now!!
you have a great attitude! cant wait ot see your work :)