• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pretty New to Wrapping...trying company minivan...

Ok, so as an installer/production manager I've applied all kinds of decals and whatnot to cars and trucks over 10 years.

I have done one full wrap of a chevy astrovan at my previous employer, I learned a hellava lot, and fellow signs101 member Kentucky Wraps came by to show me a few tricks.

I've done several partial 1/3 wraps and the sides of a box truck. so I'm not a complete noob...BUT

I bring you to my current situation...

1. I am designing the wrap...having barely learned about illustrator in the last few months.

2. I don't know which material to buy...(something "cheap" but easy to work with) as I am already in pretty deep at my new place having convinced them to buy a versa-art 640 when it was cut vinyl biz before...

3. there is no laminator,(yet) but there is a Big Squeegie by dale

4. I want to do more wraps because they are good money, gets me out of the office, and they are beautiful

Here's my design for you to tear apart...(keep in mind Ima Design NOOOB)

The tentative side, rear, and hood...still working on it. But what do you think of the simple color scheme/design?

Sadly all I have are screen shots...because like I said I'm learning design still.

I played with some tileable stuff but the message kind of got lost to the clutter

I was thinking of using black on the corners and where hood connects to fender to break it up

Our lead designer is very talented, but working on paying jobs while the production side is a bit slow...so this is my attempt...I'm sure she will tweak it but any input would be greatly appreciated.

:thankyou:

Attachments

• driver side.jpg
    driver side.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 133
  • hood scaled work file.jpg
    hood scaled work file.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Rear Scaled work file.jpg
    Rear Scaled work file.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 83

Ponto

ummmmmmm,... those angles are going to prove tricky around the corners,....jus' sayin'......keep tweeking,.......

JP

HulkSmash

1. You can't use a BS to laminate a wrap. You really want heat assist so there's no silvering in the lam.

2. Don't use cheap vinyl, or you'll have a bad first experience at your new shop. And it wont last as long, and it'll look awful. Show your customers you do quality work.. not half a$$ stuff.

3. That design is awful, let your talented designer design it when he has more time.. it's worth the wait. And if your talented designer designed that logo in your avatar..... then find another designer.

4. This will represent your company.. don't do something half way. Make it right the first time, and you will bring in more business.

Attached is our latest wrap on one of our shop trucks. We tried to be unique and do a partial wrap like i've never seen before. Really wanted the paint color to come through, and keep it simple, and big.. showing what we do.

good luck.

Attachments

• 381771_329258023758396_151452451538955_1514587_999286372_n.jpg
    381771_329258023758396_151452451538955_1514587_999286372_n.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 383958_329259603758238_151452451538955_1514591_2025128194_n.jpg
    383958_329259603758238_151452451538955_1514591_2025128194_n.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 388228_545080498921_177001110_30942573_1191058118_n.jpg
    388228_545080498921_177001110_30942573_1191058118_n.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 119

Circleville Signs

K....I will also be nice...But i will be honest.

1. That design made me throw up in my mouth. (Trust me - I'm being nice. Ask around)

2. If you try to wrap without laminated materials, can i please come and watch?

3. You must use cast air release materials. The cheapest material on the market worth using is the Arlon stuff. Although i don't like it. I'm a fan of the Avery MPI stuff. Either way, a roll of material and matching lam is going to cost you around $1000-1100. And believe you me - if this is your first major wrap, you'll be using most of the roll.

4. The Big Squeegee is not a wrap tool. It is not a large format lamination tool either. Buy a laminator. There's no point in even owning a digital printer if you don't also own a laminator.

5. I just looked at the design again. Breakfast REALLy doesn't taste the same the 2nd time around....

I know it was an easy target...I would probably hate too..

Well, at least I learned some things playing with it...
thanks for all the helpful comments

We've had the logo for 16 years...and we're in a rural market that is easily impressed unlike alot of you guys
oh and I tried to convince them on a lam, but the printer was a big purchase

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Agree.

Looks as though you might be biting off more than you can chew. There are places you can cut corners, but none of the areas you mentioned.

If you put a wrap out there representing your company trying to attract new business and show off your quality/ability..... design, cheap materials and poor quality will work completely against you with your formula.... so far.

Wait for your lead designer to give you some tips and how-to's before you present this to the boss.... or you just might be looking for a new job tomorrow.

rjssigns

Simple steps:
1 Hire someone to design the wrap
2 Sub out the printing/laminating
3 Call in experienced help for the install

Do not invest a ton of money or effort getting the correct printer/laminator combo until you have enough regular wrap business. Use one of the "to the trade only" printers on this site or find one close to you.

Having your own in house production is not as easy as some would have you believe. There is an enormous learning curve, and about the time you think you've got it knocked something else pops up to give you gray hair.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, just be patient.

sar bossier

1. You can't use a BS to laminate a wrap. You really want heat assist so there's no silvering in the lam.

2. Don't use cheap vinyl, or you'll have a bad first experience at your new shop. And it wont last as long, and it'll look awful. Show your customers you do quality work.. not half a$$ stuff.

3. That design is awful, let your talented designer design it when he has more time.. it's worth the wait. And if your talented designer designed that logo in your avatar..... then find another designer.

4. This will represent your company.. don't do something half way. Make it right the first time, and you will bring in more business.

Attached is our latest wrap on one of our shop trucks. We tried to be unique and do a partial wrap like i've never seen before. Really wanted the paint color to come through, and keep it simple, and big.. showing what we do.

good luck.

Adam ... WOWSA!! That wrap kicks MAJOR a$$!!:loveya:

Mikeifg

Stick to Banners. Don't ruin the wrap industry. You'll have more failures that might cost you your job. They may look cool but they are a PITA most of the time and don't design it yourself.

qmr55

good luck.

Great advice and great looking wrap! Very well executed partial wrap...

But it would surely look better on a Chevy :wink:

Just messin' with ya, great job!

Flame

As has been said, the design is terrible. Like it would take away from business rather than help. Not everyone is a designer, but if you're not a designer, don't try to be. If you want to be a designer, learn on your own time, not on your first vehicle wrap. Just saying.

Also, sorry, unless you're just printing banners, owning a printer without a laminator would be like having an autobody shop that specializes in water based paint, but doesn't know how to clear coat. Aka it's absolute freaking insanity. I don't even want to hear the "no funds for the laminator thing" as I was 18 years old and got a loan for my first printer than dropped the cash to pick up a 52" laminator. If I could do it as a punk kid right out of high school, a business with some form of capital (I hope), and employees should be able to afford to get the right equipment to run a business.

So, my suggestion for you would be to leave the design to a designer, OR outsource the design. I would honestly ditch that hideous logo too but if you're stuck with it...meh, you're stuck with it. Just make the rest of the wrap look good. Then buy a good roll of media and lam as has been suggested, and then, get to wrapping. If you have free time you can teach yourself a lot just by laying the vinyl. Sounds like you have a decent idea on how to apply already so just teach yourself how you go. You'll quickly learn how the vinyl works and figure out some tricks. You'll probably lose a few panels in the process, but hey, all part of learning. Just keep at it until everything looks good and is lined up well and you can finally say you did your first wrap!

So, I wish you luck sir.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey Color.....

How often does this happen ??

Attachments

• color banners.jpg
    color banners.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 107

qmr55

Yea, very good point.

I know what a banner is

I know what a sign is

What is an ETC?

:omg:

I think he was pointing out that when you say etc. you don't say "and" as well. You would have to either say "Banners, Signs, etc." or "Banners, Signs & More"

But you make a great point as well, why say etc. on a vehicle wrap?