• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pretty New to Wrapping...trying company minivan...

SignManiac

I blame the owner of the company, responsibility falls on him/her to see that things are done right. Obviously someone who hasn't a clue as to what a good logo should be, so why would he care about producing any quality work or using the right tool for the job. If the company is intent on selling wraps, then do it right.

Anyone can learn how to physically wrap a vehicle, but if the design is poor to begin with then it makes no difference how well the vinyl is applied. Plus, you won't be selling many jobs unless you can really design well and hit them out of the park.

Jillbeans

That is atrocious.
So is your logo.
I would start off by having the designer re-do that, no matter if it's been used for 16 years or 16 days.
Your typeface choices are terrible. The slogan is lame.
Bear in mind that some people (not sign people) do not even know what a wrap is, or what it is called.
The back looks like some assorted text has been overlaid onto an icky background.
If I were a regular person and not a sign person, nothing about this would ever induce me to hire your company.
And yes I'm being nice too.
Love....Jill

Pat Whatley

Our lead designer is very talented, but working on paying jobs while the production side is a bit slow...so this is my attempt...I'm sure she will tweak it but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Your lead designer sucks. You know how I know? No designer worth a squat would allow those fonts to even be loaded onto the computer.

Wrapping your own vehicle should BE a paying job. What you put on the shop vehicle should bring more money in the door. If it's not then what's the point?

SignManiac

Yep your lead designer never learned to design. Maybe okay for sticking letters on stuff but I would not call his/her stuff design. I just checked out your companies facebook page and that portfolio is seriously in need of a designers help.

Not trying to be a dick but I'm not gonna tell you anything but the truth. Maybe your company is fine with turning out that caliber of work but I know I couldn't. I could go on but I'm sure you've heard enough already.

Bleh I thankfully thought this thread was dead...anyone else want to chime in from on high?

Its a no go, its back to square one with the helpful comments and PMs I have learned a lot..but mostly I know who's a lazy *** and who is helpful to a newbie

Keep in mind there is very little competition in this town. We haven't had to be great but it is a worthy goal to be better!

Again thanks to those who helped me toward the right path

Pat Whatley

The lack of competition is your greatest asset on this right now. It slows things down to give you time to work on the design and your skills so you really get something nice on there. Take your time, keep researching ideas, and keep working on it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, with some of these recent comments, I'll betcha you might be getting a promotion soon if you put your nose to the grindstone.

You certainly have the right attitude.

formanek

I hate when people with NO design skills and / or training think they can do our job. Go to school, work hard and if you don't have it, you don't have it. Computers are the WORST thing that happened to art and design because people think you can not have to design and the computer will do it. I start ALL of my work on paper first and when I taught HS art for 16 years I demanded my students do the same. If you can't design on paper first you have no business designing on the computer. Sorry.

HulkSmash

Hey Color.....

How often does this happen ??

LOL. oh gino. So good!! but seriously. not much. I wanted to advertise signs and wraps more then anything on the vehicle, didnt want to clutter it with a bunch of info. Just the important stuff.. ive gotten tons of positive feed back.

it matches our new windows :)

slipperyfrog

I hate when people with NO design skills and / or training think they can do our job. Go to school, work hard and if you don't have it, you don't have it. Computers are the WORST thing that happened to art and design because people think you can not have to design and the computer will do it. I start ALL of my work on paper first and when I taught HS art for 16 years I demanded my students do the same. If you can't design on paper first you have no business designing on the computer. Sorry.

Love pompous *** comments like this. It is like saying, "if you can't hand paint lettering you have no business cutting & applying vinyl lettering". Times change, some find it hard to accept.

You do not need to go to "school" to learn design. There are other avenues. It certainly helps and adds many facets to your abilities but not all people take that route.

I would agree with Pat. The lack of competition could also be a valuable business factor right now. Focus on quality design whether it is you or someone else qualified. Do this and you could lock out competition before they can or will get a foothold.

formanek

Love pompous *** comments like this. It is like saying, "if you can't hand paint lettering you have no business cutting & applying vinyl lettering". Times change, some find it hard to accept.

You do not need to go to "school" to learn design. There are other avenues. It certainly helps and adds many facets to your abilities but not all people take that route.

I would agree with Pat. The lack of competition could also be a valuable business factor right now. Focus on quality design whether it is you or someone else qualified. Do this and you could lock out competition before they can or will get a foothold.

Apply letters is a little different than designing a wrap, but oh ya I am an a$$. I guess the kids I turned out of my classes into designers, painters, sculptures, etc.... did it all on their own with no direction. My point is you need to be able to design in your mind and on paper. Garbage in garbage out. Heard of that pompous? :thread

slipperyfrog

Apply letters is a little different than designing a wrap, but oh ya I am an a$$. I guess the kids I turned out of my classes into designers, painters, sculptures, etc.... did it all on their own with no direction. My point is you need to be able to design in your mind and on paper. Garbage in garbage out. Heard of that pompous? :thread

I said nothing regarding your students. I said nothing regarding your style of teaching. I was making the point that not all follow your direction. There are different ways to become good at design Michelangelo.

formanek

I said nothing regarding your students. I said nothing regarding your style of teaching. I was making the point that not all follow your direction. There are different ways to become good at design Michelangelo.

And good ways to make your point without becoming personal by calling people names. Whatever picaso.

Flame

You did good right until....

If you can't design on paper first you have no business designing on the computer.

Now you just seem like an ***, so better pony up and show some ridiculously amazing work or just kinda retract that one.

HulkSmash

ignorant.

That's like saying, you don't know how to build a horseshoe... so...you deserve don't to drive a car.

If you don't change with the times, and with technology, you will not survive in any business sense, especially in our industry..

Flame

ignorant.

That's like saying, you don't know how to build a horseshoe... so...you deserve don't to drive a car.

If you don't change with the times, and with technology, you will not survive in any business sense, especially in our industry..

Can I hug you?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Hummm.....I wonder if anyone has ever done a study to see if wide format printing might be linked to a rise in testosterone levels?

wayne k
guam usa

4R Graphics

Well lets try to get this thread back to the help this company needs.

You need a Laminator PERIOD. Get the cheap ustech from ebay there $2000 they are not heated but it gets you started we used one for a long time.

Ok Design I have to say that your original design is well Bad no other nice thing to say. You have been given some good advice such as look at other wraps from companies online and figure out what you like and go from there.
One big thing is keep it simple but not lame(such as original design) Simple being Colorados wrap its INFORMATIVE (key #1) easy to read (key # 2) but has style but not over the top (key # 3). Way to many wraps are crap or just as someone here once said look like a graphic designer pucked on the vehicle (meaning every stupid effect you could add was added).

If I was you I would try my hand at a new logo then design a wrap with it and present that to the boss.

I know as both a designer and partner in my company that designing the wraps or any advertisment for my company is always the hardest.

As for not having to be great because low competition becarful one day there will be and then your screwed. I would seriouslly tell the boss we need a laminator period while he is dragging his feet on it design a better wrap and post it up we will help guide you.

There are a few here that think there S*** dont stink and will tell you that with out blah you wont be good etc. Well you do need to have an eye and this comes from learning from others and seeing what works and does not. If you take the time to really learn the trade and advertising / marketing dos and donts you will get it and do well.

Dont take the bashing personal get thick skin and post your stuff the more you post up get bashed, learn, modify, repost the better you will get.

Good luck and get a laminator!
Oh and dont buy cheap materials for a wrap you will pay for it trust me.