• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Price to Charge For Install Involving Driving and Staying Overnight

OhioSigns

So, I have a job I am quoting for a customer that I recently started doing work for. This job they want quoted requires me to drive 350 miles (6 hours) each way to the job site to install some graphics on tanks that are about 50' in the air. They are providing the lift as driving my bucket truck that far is not happening and they have a lift already on site as they are doing work on the tanks and painting them. Install is pretty simple, tanks are smooth, painted steel. The graphics are not overly huge, just (3) 4'x12' panels on each tank (2 tanks) that I will print using 3MIJ180CV3 with 3M 8518. Install will require myself and 1 employee. This particular job would require us to close the shop for 2 days due to the drive and install time meaning nothing else is getting done while we are out (only a 2 man shop). I have never done a job this distance away from the shop or had to bill for staying somewhere overnight. What's your guys thoughts on charges for the drive time, staying overnight and install charges. I'm thinking around $3,500 for install. Graphics are being quoted separately in case they want their crew to attempt installing themselves. Does my price sound high or low to you guys and why? I'm swamped with work and don't really care whether I get the job or not so I don't want to under quote it and want it padded as you never know if it could turn into a PITA if something gets messed up that far away or if the weather or circumstances changes, dragging install out even further. Thoughts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you have a 6 hour drive one way, that's basically a whole day to drive there and another day to drive back, then one day to do the work. I'd bill out at 2 men on site at your regular hours and 2 more days of on-site for your travel time. Add in all your meals and the cost of the rooms. No need to kill yourself trying to fit it into 2 days, but you can do it, then just charge for all three.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I always leave the night before to get a full day and charge time for 2 plus $.50/mile for my vehicle plus meals/hotels. A day job 6 hours a way doesn't really make much sense.
If it were me, Id be leaving friday night and work the weekend so the shop didn't have to get shutdown. Id also rent a light tower and work all night cuz I hate working out of town.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I regularly travel for work for a national client and have the same setup too.. they provide lifts and it's me and my helper. Just for the install portion I figure $1500/day. That covers my labor, a hotel room for $100, gas (in a truck would be about $200) and food. I've had several trips that were 6-7 hours away and I leave in the morning and we arrive early afternoon and work till mid-night or so. Then we finish up the next day and are usually home by that night. Working at night is nice in the summer when it's cooler and there is no one at the business to get in the way. Road traffic is quieter so you can listen to radio. $1500 may sound cheap but I also consider that I'm make $$ on the signs themselves too.

Another thing to consider is subbing out your install.

OIP.jpg

ACtC-3eHY4TQ2VhCSXO0Ba8dRz8T3g8_m0Kwk3OWLKzTvCK0aIAzlqDWHGAkJoo-tDjKlmrfQf-C6HfwLuafvMt39OKcjLvIbJXk0BZsfn0j75gLWrTfCAsGoyHap9wYl2BWsArJfR_3ZE2notrZe4TCeNgfhA=w1668-h938-no

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They sleep one each on one of the ladders in the parking lot. They don't need no stinkin' room. They're real men..... they're texans.................

LarryB

If you are busy and don’t want to piss off your current customers why not make it a weekend trip and bump up install price? Pay your installer extra.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I charge, the mileage rate for the vehicle, labor for drive and installation, a hotel room for each person, and $50 per diem per day per person. If someone else is providing things for me I inform them of the costs when I have to wait for a lift or graphics upfront. The lift is on-site for a reason and someone may be using it when you get there.

As others have said, I too will look at the total hours vs the number of days I will lose and charge accordingly.

Before I schedule it, I'll look at the weather forecast. If there is any chance of rain I won't drive that far unless they are willing to pay for delays. You can deal with the wind by using spring clamps on the ends of the roll and only letting 2 to 4 feet out at a time depending on the ferocity of the wind.

If your client has a problem with the pricing it is because of the labor for the second person. Other than the mileage, it doubles the costs and may increase productivity by 30% at most but more than likely not much more than a helping hand and moral support.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I charge, the mileage rate for the vehicle, labor for drive and installation, a hotel room for each person, and $50 per diem per day per person. If someone else is providing things for me I inform them of the costs when I have to wait for a lift or graphics upfront. The lift is on-site for a reason and someone may be using it when you get there.

As others have said, I too will look at the total hours vs the number of days I will lose and charge accordingly.

Before I schedule it, I'll look at the weather forecast. If there is any chance of rain I won't drive that far unless they are willing to pay for delays. You can deal with the wind by using spring clamps on the ends of the roll and only letting 2 to 4 feet out at a time depending on the ferocity of the wind.

If your client has a problem with the pricing it is because of the labor for the second person. Other than the mileage, it doubles the costs and may increase productivity by 30% at most but more than likely not much more than a helping hand and moral support.

Another idea that I've done... if it's not skilled labor and you just need another set of hands,is get People Ready labor. It's $25/hr. with a 4 hour minimum. I've done it a few times when I needed help with something that required two people.

John Miller

I've done remote installs all over the country for several national real estate companies. I would find the site on google maps, then click the nearby button on the left side of the screen. Type in signs and you'll see all sign companies in the area. Talk to them, visit their web sites, vet them and get quotes from the ones that seem capable of doing the job. Add your charges for setting up the install, your charge for taking responsibility, your profit, etc. With all the expenses you'll have if you do the work and the fact that you are flat out, you should stay in the shop.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Just out of curiosity, when you guys (or gals) go out of town, you obviously bring your graphics with you. What happens if you screw one up? Easy enough to do working outside if it's windy. Again, just curious since I don't really travel far for installs.

rjssigns

Just out of curiosity, when you guys (or gals) go out of town, you obviously bring your graphics with you. What happens if you screw one up? Easy enough to do working outside if it's windy. Again, just curious since I don't really travel far for installs.

I bring the tails(scrap) from the job in case I have to do surgery. Rare but sometimes stuff goes sideways. Can also trim any "narred" areas and make it look like nothing happened. My installer is incredible when it comes to that.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
spoiler alert, hotels in the midwest are $100/night. roach motels are closer to $50, or $15/hr.

$100 out here gets you a new, big name regular hotel room. Last time I stayed in Florida I paid $350/night for a Hampton Inn that was 30 years old.... BUT that was on Pensacola Beach ;). Although now we just stay at airbnbs. Much nicer then hotel rooms for vacation... We never stay at hotels for vacation anymore.

Jun Lanon

I charge $4k, that's including travel time, mileage charge, meals, gas, install and hotel. I don't do motel per safety reasons. I get nice hotels since it's paid for.