• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printed Drag Knife - inspiration video

Edge Remover

Hello folks,
I desided to make drag knife by using 3D printer with ABS material and common metal parts.

There is the result in video below.

[video=youtube;-MThK035omE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MThK035omE[/video]

or

http://youtu.be/-MThK035omE

You need any flat CNC. I built CNC by myself, it is combination common alluminum profiles, particle boards and printed ABS parts.
For running G-code I used Arduino with Sprinter. As the software for generation g-code I use Simply Cam 2,
you can import your data from vector programs like Corel, Illustrator...

Let it is an inspiration for you to make one.

Kamil

Attachments

• drag_knife.jpg
    drag_knife.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:

Gene@mpls

Most excellent. I have the CNC router but need the 3d printer... did you build that too? Very impressed. Thanks Gene

ddubia

When I started making signs one had to have a can of paint & a brush with the talent to make letters with the brush. There were no computers to aid in any part of the process. Since, I've learned to use computers for much of the design, printing and general output and have been in awe of that process alone.

And now it's actually come to this. If I had the equipment I'm sure I could learn to do this as well except that now my mind has been completely blown by the possibilities to the point that I'm now stuck on stupid in so far as moving any further forward.

I'm ready to retire this year. But I will keep an eye on the progress to see just how far it goes before I do.

Typestries

Excellent all around. Plans to bring to to market?

We currently run the Donek Tools drag knife. Works great, but your interchangeability aspect is killer.

Edge Remover

Gene@mpls:

Yes I built also 3d printer, internet is full of instructions how to build it, it is easy, just difficult at beginning.

WB:
Working area is just a particle board with 1mm thick paper on, whole construction lays on wood table.

Typestries:
Yeah changing aspect is good, but what is great, that you are not limited with blade shape. you can choose your favorite blade and print the schell for it, like I did. That is cool.
I will try to upload stl files for close look.