• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem Customers- What would you do?

Priscilla

I had a hard to deal with customer a while back- he had issues with absolutely everything we did for him.. and when he got his order, he made sure to complain some more! He said we overcharged him and that our quality "wasn't good" and he could get it cheaper and better somewhere else (yeah, right.).

I vowed to never work with him again because of how difficult of a customer he was (yes I know, I should have sent him on his merry-little way out the door the first time around- shame on me).

But it gets better. He recently called us to place another order with us. YEAH RIGHT. I'm just wondering if I should completely ignore the guy or if I should address him (which would probably result in an argument, given his past). How would you handle the situation?

And if you have a classic "problem customer" story, let me know. It helps venting lolz ;]

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Be the professional.
Explain that his last order did not go smoothly for either of you.
Ask him if his expectations had changed (hence his return) or did he come to realize he really didn't have any serious issues with your company. His answers will tell you if you want to deal with him again or not.
If it looks bad, thank him for his return and let him know that you cannot offer him any services at this time.
Some people can be won over if they are treated in a professional manner after they realize how badly they acted the last time around.
Others are A-holes to the core & have to be shown the door....

wayne k
guam usa

John L

I do business with people that, other than stopping to take their money to pay for the widgets I peddle, I otherwise wouldnt give the time of day to. There are only a couple that I dont at least answer back.

Make them pay up front and always have a signed, legally enforceable (in your state) contract that states what their going to get for what they paid. No need to like each other at all.

visual800

I utterly ignore them. I dont explain how difficult it is to work with them cause I'm sure they treat everyone the same way. Money does not replace aggravation people, it matters not how much you overcharge them

Jillbeans

I would do as the first two replies suggest (if you really want to deal with him again) but above all, trust your gut.
Sometimes a bad client can turn out OK but usually they never change, and are not worth the aggravation.
My last client like this, I was simply too busy to take on their project (even though I wasn't) and I replied simply that I could not be of service to them at this time.
Love....Jill

Joe Diaz

Since he's coming back for more, it sounds like he was simply looking for a discount the last time he was in. There are people out their that pull that one every chance they get. They believe that if they pretend they are unhappy with the service they got, you will feel bad and charge them less. Hopefully you did not give in and do so.

This type of character is selfish and shows little respect for craftsmen. My guess is they also do this at restaurants, with the barber, the electrician, etc... I've seen the type. They are relentless and won't likely change. Don't torture yourself by continuing to work with someone like that. Move on to the next job and sleep better at night.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Be professional, polite and make any excuse that you cannot take on the project.

You cannot make some people happy, period.

TheSnowman

I have two guys that I've delt with in the past that just make me cringe.

Both are guys that "needed it yesterday" then take months to pick it up. My favorite of the two had to have something right away, and basically always says "you just have to go push a button right?" which makes me want to beat him. The last time he ordered something he picked it up a few weeks after I called him to tell him it was ready, and he pulled out his wallet to pay me, brought up another subject, then just basically walked backwards out the door, still talking about "what he'd bring in for me tomorrow" while putting his wallet away, and never paid.

He never came in the next day, and a few months later he stopped in and wanted me to do something else for him THAT DAY and I told him I wasn't going to do it until I was paid for the last job, and he informed me that he did pay, and I told him to show me a receipt marked paid with my signature on it, and I'd agree...but me and the secretary both saw what he did and commented on it to each other in disbelief afterwards. I told him to go to another shop and have his stuff done because it's fine that we disagree on this situation, but he's not a customer of mine anymore.

About a year later he stopped in and wanted to settle the score because "he may need some other stuff" and he paid up. Then he said "I'm being the bigger man here because I'm paying you twice for this stuff even though I know I already paid you". That ticked me off to no end. He never came back, and if he does...his prices just went up 200%.

I know I know...never do any work without payment first. That was a few years ago, so things have changed. Plus, I basically trust no one but a previous customer that I know well. That was back when I thought there were still good people running around.

*END RANT*

rjssigns

Double the estimate and triple the delivery time. You may get the job as they have worn our their welcome at every other shop.
That is all I'm gonna say...

skyhigh

I have two guys that I've delt with in the past that just make me cringe.

Coincidentally, I have 2 customers that make me cringe also. It took me about a year before I figured out how to handle them.

The biggest a$$ of the two, always wants something last minute....always bitches about the price....and always degrades the effort it took to produce his items. It got so bad, I actually wanted to floor him on the spot.

Long story short...... He's been a customer for about 5 years now. The last time he called, was to order a new 4x8 pan face for a satellite office they just acquired. He called on Friday, and needed it up by Tuesday...then questioned me in a sarcastic tone..."That should be no problem, right?"

My reply was...."NOOOO problem!!!! I LOVE jobs like this!!! Rush jobs get up-charged 50%, and WEEKEND rush jobs are DOUBLE!!!".

He hung up laughing his butt off. It took a long time for me to realize that HE THOUGHT HE WAS FUNNY.......NOT. So I give it back to him, and he is happy. Although I didn't "double" his price, he did get a $75 up charge, which helped make me happy. He paid his bill, and sent me a "thank you" note for (as he called it) "making it happen" on time, and how nice it looked.

To sum things up......If he keeps coming back (and paying his bills), then he must be happy with what you are doing. Toughen up!!!

Last edited:

CentralSigns

Every once in a while you have to fire a customer, because its not worth the hassle. For one reason or another sometimes after a bit they come back, god forbid. This is usually because they aren't able to receive the quality or service at the low ball shop or they were full of it if it was a price issue. Quite often they are slightly humbled. It may go a lot easier this time round

Joe Diaz

Here's one for you. It's a long one, so I apologize in advance. This was several years ago: A company from California hired us to design, make and ship them lettering for their truck fleet. Considering they probably could have saved a bunch... Why they didn't have the work done locally didn't make since to us then, but it seemed like a legit job. It was a larger order so we took on the job.

We sent them a quote based on their request, and told them we would start production when we received half down. We didn't hear from them for a month or two. We figured our prices were too high for them. They finally called us back but changed the order. They needed twice as many graphics now. We send over the revised quote, and they paid half down later that week. We started production of the graphics.

Then they called a day later, We need those graphics ASAP. we removed our old graphics and we can't put the trucks back on the road until the new ones are on. Why they took the old graphics off without having the new ones in hand is a mystery to me. Looking back it was most likely the beginning of their many lies.

For whatever reason, we agreed to send them the graphics that we had finished... about half of them. But we told them we would then have to charge them shipping twice. They agreed. We sent them the graphics that were finished... next day air.

They contacted us 2 days later, complaining that the graphics hadn't reached them yet. We went online with our tracking information to see that the graphics were in fact delivered, and we pointed this out to them. They claimed that they didn't have them and wanted us to send the rest of the graphics and new ones to replace the graphics they said were lost in the mail.

We informed them since the graphics were accepted by someone at their business, we would have to charge for the new "replacement" graphics. This upset him. he got kind of nasty and hung up... By this time the 2nd half of the job was ready to ship. However, we waited to ship out the 2nd half of the job because the way the conversation ended, we were uncertain of whether or not they wanted to order the "replacement" graphics. They never did say. We tried contacting them the next day and the secretary said the boss was not in, and he would get back to us.

About a week or so later, the secretary called, "where are the rest of the graphics?" We told her they are done and we were waiting to hear back about the "replacement" graphics. She said "Okay I'll call you right back." A day later they call: "Well we did receive the first batch, but they aren't correct. They were supposed to be reflective." They claimed that the graphics that we sent were unusable because their trucks have to have reflective lettering to be legal. (huh?)

We scanned and emailed them the work orders, sketches, quotes, email communications that all had no mention of reflective, which they had signed off on. They claimed they told us over the phone that we were to make the graphics in reflective.:banghead: Then they threatened to sue us because their trucks haven't been on the road for weeks because of us.

Now when someone threatens to sue us, that's usually when we end a business relationship. Long story a bit shorter, we eventually worked out an agreement and got paid in full and they got the 2nd half of their original order which were already produced, and nothing more. We were never sued.

Later that year the secretary called us back and wanted to hire us to build their website. I said "absolutely not. The last time we did business with you, it didn't go very well." She apologized up one side and down the other, they even sent us flowers believe it or not:omg: Nope. Have someone else do your work.

This was actually the straw that broke the camels back and because of it we have a policy of not doing out of state sign work, with the exception of murals. We will also do design work for anyone, but we just had one too many bad experiences with out of state sign work.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Be the professional.
Explain that his last order did not go smoothly for either of you.
Ask him if his expectations had changed (hence his return) or did he come to realize he really didn't have any serious issues with your company. His answers will tell you if you want to deal with him again or not.
If it looks bad, thank him for his return and let him know that you cannot offer him any services at this time.
Some people can be won over if they are treated in a professional manner after they realize how badly they acted the last time around.
Others are A-holes to the core & have to be shown the door....

wayne k
guam usa

+1

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As you can see by the many stories of problem people out there, you're bound to get screwed with your clothes on.

I'd cut right to the chase and lay it on the line.

We did work before with you and you were not my favorite person and you treated me terribly. Because of that very incident, we have changed our company policy.
  • All paperwork must be signed, dated and returned along with payment in full before we start.

make sure you charge through the nose to this guy. You're gonna be upset all over again by this pr!ck. They have a million ways of making your life miserable. So make him pay upfront and be ready to tell him off.

Oh, and be sure to include in your quote...... no refunds under any circumstances !! :noway: