• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Proper grammar/puctuation help

"Deposit Please"

I'm lettering up a van and i just want to make sure we use proper grammar/punctuation. My main concern is the etc. Should i add a few dots before or after etc or is it good as you read it. Seems simple, but i want to get it right. Let me know if anything else is off. thanks

MoonWalks,
Obstacle Courses,
Slides, etc.

thewood

The ellipsis is not necessary. You have it correct. The abbreviation for "et cetera" should be preceded by a comma and followed by a period.

WildWestDesigns

Always try to get around it by putting in "and more" if the concern is that profound. Times like this I wish I had kept my grammar book handy.

Jillbeans

I think you should use the archaic abbreviation:
&ct.
But then again I've been reading a lot of Jane Austen.
Love....Jill
PS
I'm kidding, I agree with post #9.
Whatever you do...DON'T use "& More!" God I hate that.

WildWestDesigns

Whatever you do...DON'T use "& More!" God I hate that.

I don't like it either, but if it's a choice of that or making a grammatical mistake, which one would be the lesser of two evils? Now, I have put "and more" but that under direction to do so. There is a sign in one of the hick towns around here that did a mistake with a contraction. I doubt most of them notice it, but I hate seeing it every time I have to go in and out of the town(it's on the back side of the town's "welcome sign").

Now, "whatnot" would make me pull my hair out. I hope that was an exaggeration for effect.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
The ellipsis would be redundant.

if someone is using etc on their vehicle, i think they are going for redundancy....

it's advertising, not grammer class. you want to make a point, not teach a class...

its' etc... all the way!!!!

WildWestDesigns

if someone is using etc on their vehicle, i think they are going for redundancy....

it's advertising, not grammer class. you want to make a point, not teach a class...

its' etc... all the way!!!!

Bad grammar can take away from the point of the ad. Depends on the target audience, and the grammatical infraction. If it's some esoteric flaw, I doubt that'll get noticed, but if it's an obvious run-on, you might have some issue.

Spelling and grammar are quality control issues in my book. That reflects on the quality of the person that you hired to do the job and on you as well, because you allowed that copy to go to print. But that's just me.

Jim Doggett

Take a tip from the world's most successful retailer (Wal-mart Stores). No punctuation is better.

Even in ad copy in magazine, the rule is limit punctuation. It's less visually appealing and appears in some studies I've read to reduce readership. The thought is it breaks it up and thus people find a stopping point sooner.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Spelling and grammar are quality control issues in my book

given...

i still stand by my point, if your using etc in advertising, you mean more than the written word... more than grammer can justify...

Edserv

Why not take advantage of this>>>>CALL TODAY?

Or, what I really mean is, bla, bla, bla, ETC>>>>Here's What I Really Mean! Call Now!

Etc, Etc, Etc, Etc,>>>>>>Call Now For 20% OFF Your Next Purchase!